12-13-15, 11:09 PM   #1
Voxxel
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
Question Coordinates w/o scripts allowed

Hey there,

I know the addons and scripts are disabled in Alpha right now but I'm in deep need of coordinates - is there *any* way to find them out in this stage?

Thank you in advance.

12-13-15, 11:46 PM   #2
semlar
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Map coordinates represent the relative distance something is from the top left corner of the map frame, so top left is (0,0), the bottom right is (100,100) and the center is (50,50).

You can probably eyeball an estimate of your coordinates, but if you want something more precise you can take a screenshot of the map and measure the distance in pixels from the top left and divide that by the width and height of the map.

12-14-15, 01:45 AM   #3
Voxxel
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
Thanks semlar,

I forgot to mention I need the more precise location, I mean decimal data, which would be a pain to measure from a screenshot that's why I wanted to find out a solution in-game.

Is there any way to get the exact coordinates in-game at this stage of Alpha?

12-14-15, 02:12 AM   #4
semlar
A Pyroguard Emberseer

They explicitly disabled /run, /script and /dump in ChatFrame.lua, so as far as I know there's no "legitimate" method to execute scripts (and if one pops up they'll likely quash that too, they want people using the stock ui).

I don't know what you'd need coordinates for since obviously nobody else can use them either, but for now you'll have to get creative.

12-14-15, 11:09 AM   #5
Nimhfree
A Frostmaul Preserver
Has beta opened up yet? Is alpha open? I never get alpha so really I should just wonder whether beta is open. :-)

12-14-15, 01:30 PM   #6
Fizzlemizz
I did that?

Premium Member
I think it's still considered Alpha.

12-14-15, 01:40 PM   #7
semlar
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I thought of a way you could get accurate coordinates; if you can enable combat logging through /combatlog or the /console command, then you could turn it on, cast something specific, and turn it back off, then you should be able to get the global coordinates out of the log file. I'm not sure if disabling it forces it to write to the log file or if you have to /reload or something.

You can convert the global coordinates to zone map coordinates if you really want to, but it will require extracting the map sizes and offsets from WorldMapArea.dbc (you'll need a CASC reader and a way to read the dbc file).

12-15-15, 05:15 AM   #8
TOM_RUS
A Warpwood Thunder Caller
Or you can just enable addons, it's not that hard and available on google search.

12-15-15, 12:22 PM   #9
Fizzlemizz
I did that?

Premium Member
Originally Posted by TOM_RUS View Post
Or you can just enable addons, it's not that hard and available on google search.
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Advertising that it can be done on public forums when many if not most addons will be in one state of broken or another and I'm guessing many if not most authors wont "fix" their addons until they have access and Blizzard enables addons is not particularly helpful.

12-15-15, 01:36 PM   #10
SDPhantom
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Many people have hacked the game to enable addons. As this is an official Blizzard community site, we cannot suggest doing so as among other things, it violates Blizzard's ToS.

12-16-15, 02:19 PM   #11
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Originally Posted by Fizzlemizz View Post
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.
This.

End of discussion.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

WoWInterface » Site Forums » Archived Beta Forums » Legion Beta archived threads » Coordinates w/o scripts allowed