08-07-11, 03:37 PM   #1
litesung
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Script for Computer Request

Hi, I was wondering if it would be possible to create a script and bind it to one of my F keys.

The script I wanted would end the process skype.exe or aim.exe, and possibly wow.exe. So for example, if I wanted to quickly end one of these programs, I could just press the F key that I bound the script to, and it would immediately end the process. Can anyone help me out?
08-07-11, 04:34 PM   #2
Kendian
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Lol, someone doesn't want to get busted playing/talking at work~
08-07-11, 05:41 PM   #3
SDPhantom
A Pyroguard Emberseer

You'd have to do it outside of WoW. I don't know of any programs that can do this, but WoW doesn't allow access to anything outside of itself.

For WoW though, Panic!Key works by adding a keybind for forcing the game client to shut down.

Last edited by SDPhantom : 08-07-11 at 05:44 PM.
08-07-11, 06:51 PM   #4
Cowmonster
A Cyclonian
If you are playing when you should be working or trying to hide how much you play from someone then I suggest you seek professional help because you may have an addiction.

That being said, if you want to kill a program quickly with a keybind and you are on windows, press Alt+F4 while in the program. This should do the trick quite a bit of the time and even work in linux (ymmv). For a mac...I don't know what the command key combination is, sorry. Depending on the platform you are using, you could also create a program that monitors keystrokes looking for the proper combination and hides programs quickly or kills the process(es) involved.

Author of:
Equipped Average Item Level :: ExtraBar :: Killing Blow Emote :: RecordTip
08-07-11, 08:57 PM   #5
litesung
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Let me make some things clear, I never mentioned I was using this at work. I do not have a job, nor am looking for one. My main priority was finding or coding a script to close aim.exe or skype.exe in an emergency. The WoW request was just another "if anyone could throw it in there, not really necessary but whatever" kind of request.

Thanks for the Pan!c addon suggestion btw! Looks very interesting!

Let's get this thread back on track now. I also posted it in "Tech Chat" since it fell under the cateogry Tech Chat - A place to discuss technical issues, hardware, ask for recommendations, etc. If it has to do with your computer, you can ask here.
08-07-11, 09:02 PM   #6
litesung
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Alt-F4 has a delay to ending the program. I was hoping to find a script that will end the process, which immediately stops the 'program'. A much faster way to end a program on the computer.

I also forgot to mention that this would be on a Win7 system.

(Again, I'm also not trying to do these things from WoW, obviously. I never stated that, if that's what anyone was thinking My request is primarily based on ending a process with a script and binding it to an F key.)

Actually, that's exactly what I'm looking for; lol... ending a process with a script and binding it to an F key!
08-07-11, 11:12 PM   #7
Aprikot
A Frostmaul Preserver

Instant death command: taskkill /f /fi "imagename eq wow.exe"

Put this in notepad & save as a .bat file:

Code:
@echo off
taskkill /f /fi "imagename eq wow.exe"
Make a shortcut to the .bat file, and in the shortcut's properties (right-click) you can specify a "shortcut key" (has to be Ctrl + Alt + whatever...no single key unfortunately.) Ctrl + Alt + Z works good for panic though.

Edit: forgot to add this works on windowed mode only.

Last edited by Aprikot : 08-07-11 at 11:25 PM.
08-08-11, 01:10 AM   #8
litesung
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Cool, I will try it out tomorrow. I'm about to head to bed. I'll just replace wow.exe with aim.exe or skype.exe and I'll see how fast they are terminated.

I will post results tomorrow...
08-08-11, 09:57 AM   #9
Verttex
Super Monkey

Might want to add one for each program so you don't close WoW when you want to close Skype or Aim.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Tech Chat » Script for Computer Request