08-08-05, 08:40 AM   #1
silentblood
A Defias Bandit
NSIS for World of Warcraft Addons!

I just wanted to know why the developers are not using NSIS to create installers for these addons? I already maintain a CTmod1.8.1600.exe NSIS Installer for my guild. http://nsis.sourceforge.net/
08-08-05, 08:51 AM   #2
Beladona
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Most people refuse to install a mod from an executable. While I agree that NSIS is a useful way of doing it, executables can easily store virus/trojan payloads, and this site in particular refuses to host exe based addons.
08-08-05, 09:21 AM   #3
silentblood
A Defias Bandit
Originally Posted by Beladona
Most people refuse to install a mod from an executable. While I agree that NSIS is a useful way of doing it, executables can easily store virus/trojan payloads, and this site in particular refuses to host exe based addons.
Well that don't really hold alot of weight for the reasoning. People cannot tell wether the addons contain exes or not there zipped up lol. But I guess you can refuse to do anything you want. I think your a trusted site so I see no reason for why people wouldn't trust your installers. But heh I have my answer of why. Using this installer allows people with peas for brains to install and use addons.
08-08-05, 10:46 AM   #4
Beladona
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by silentblood
Well that don't really hold alot of weight for the reasoning. People cannot tell wether the addons contain exes or not there zipped up lol. But I guess you can refuse to do anything you want. I think your a trusted site so I see no reason for why people wouldn't trust your installers. But heh I have my answer of why. Using this installer allows people with peas for brains to install and use addons.
Actually they can tell addons contain no malicious code because we the staff of this site say they do not. ALL files you see on this site are moderated before ever showing up for download, so before you can even click a link and download the file to your computer, we are there looking it over to make sure it is what it says it is, and nothing bad is there.

Any good site that provides downloads as a major staple to it's community should (and usually do) check said files for malicious content. It is simply one more way that we can help protect users from virus content. Those who are adept in the IT field know that the best defense against malicious code is knowledge. Most users do not understand how such code works, and as a result do not know how to prevent it from ever getting onto your system. You can't get a virus / trojan / hack into your system if you never download it or tramsmit it. Having moderated files on this site is a way for us to say to the end-users that they should never have to worry about such issues coming from something they downloaded here.

You can read more in our FAQ section and specifically here:
http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/f...q_no_exe_files

I totally agree about using NSIS for addon installation, as I have used it myself in the past for various projects. I am sure it would be considered as per the FAQ content above, if you also provide the source code for the installer. NSIS created installers via a script, so you should easily be able to provide that script with the installer. Myself and I am sure other staff know enough about NSIS to be able to tell if the script you provide is indeed for the installer you provide, and that it contains nothing bad.

Last edited by Beladona : 08-08-05 at 11:00 AM.
08-08-05, 01:45 PM   #5
silentblood
A Defias Bandit
Thanks that the was exactly the point I was trying to make. If they can check to see if a zip has nothing bad in it they could do the same for a NSIS installer. PS I know you check them but the people dling them are going on trust alone. So that trust should extend to exes as well.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » NSIS for World of Warcraft Addons!