11-30-08, 02:58 PM   #61
Raziel08
A Fallenroot Satyr
Originally Posted by Dreadlorde View Post
Use Ubuntu. It will be worth it in the long run if you're just playing WoW, don't expect wine to play crysis great; because it won't.

Sudo means 'super-user do', which as shirik said, lets you run commands as root.

Also, Ubuntu installs a ton of extra stuff (like compiz fusion) by default now. That makes it a lit'le bloated. You can remove what you don't want though after installation.

There is also a slight learning curve, but it's not so bad (at least it wasn't with me).

And wine comes with a clone of windows notepad

If you choose Ubuntu, just post here or im me (see profile) and I or some of the other GNU/Linux users here will help out.

Pure and simply you are my god lol, Back in the day of discordmods your compilations and artwork where awesome anyways seen as ur so amazing at the whole ui thing (im just starting to learn) im about to dump my entire 2x500gb hd's and install kubuntu :P follow in the great Dread's footsteps
il let you know how i get on *gulp*
11-30-08, 03:01 PM   #62
Raziel08
A Fallenroot Satyr
Originally Posted by joeba18 View Post
yes windows is bloated but there are many things you can do to make it run better.

I wont go in detail as there are plenty of resources on the net that can get you what you need.

#1. Services.
Some services can be disabled to allow for more memory for other things.

#2. Put windows into performance mode.

#3. make sure you run defrag and system clean up at least and this is bare minimum once a month. (I usually defrag/disk clean up once a week.)

#4. Make sure you dont download and install everything under the sun.
The more you install the more your hard drive has to work.

#5. Uninstall all unneeded accessory's.

These are just some things you can do to improve performance.
Heh i have a better way

sod all that it only works for 24hours then your back to square 1 again easiest way to keep windows fast is to reformat and reinstall every other week :P
11-30-08, 04:09 PM   #63
break19
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Meh.. I removed ubuntu..

running thru wine causes slight fps loss... and on my system, losing ~10 fps can mean the difference between ~15fps or ~25 fps.

-shrug- no biggie tho. I've been around the block a few times..
Slackware
Gentoo
Mandrake
RedHat
SuSe
LFS (Linux-from-scratch)
Debian (and ubuntu, and other deb variants)
NetBSD
FreeBSD
OpenLinux

and, on the PPC side of things..
YellowDog Linux
Suse PPC
Mandrake PPC

So.. yea.. I'll use whatever works best for me.. and well.. with wow (and other games) Win works best for me on my pc.. and Mac OS X works best for me on the mac.. so..

break19
11-30-08, 06:12 PM   #64
Raziel08
A Fallenroot Satyr
il keep you updated, i just installed Kubuntu's latest 8.10 release and i have to say WOW, on a decent pc this thing looks amazing and runs like a dream! now just need to get WoW installed which i have no idea how to do but im sure google will help

Dread login to your AIM lol i need ur help :P

Last edited by Raziel08 : 11-30-08 at 07:42 PM.
11-30-08, 10:13 PM   #65
CrysisFX
A Defias Bandit
AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
I would vote ubuntu. its much faster and its almost impossible to get keylogged because most keyloggers are coded for windows.

there is i slight learning curve but i wouldnt worry about it.

MAKE SURE that you enable wow to render in opengl instead of directx. directx on linux will be very slow and cause problems. its easy to do this and you can find out how to on the wine website.

the only real downside ive heard (not proven just heard) is that this on guy got reported for botting while he was using a linux box and wow (wether he was or not idk). So blizzard used their standard Warden software to scan what programs were running in the background but blizzard either didnt get any return or got some crazy stuff back from wine because its just an api and not windows itself. so they banned him because they probrably thought it was a bot anti detection method.

again ive just heard that and only from one place so it may or may not be true. but i would make sense that warden would work correctly in wine.
11-30-08, 10:51 PM   #66
Raziel08
A Fallenroot Satyr
ok well here are the results i managed to install kubuntu and wow with real ease the documentation for this os is immense and if that dont help IRC does evrything works including addons here is the proof oh and a nice steady 80fps

And to prove is Kubuntu 8.10 i ran it in a window and captured the screen

so as u can see honestly the performance was better in kubuntu than in windows Vsync is enabled and getting between 80 - 110 fps as the screenshots prove hope this answers some peoples questions all graphics are set to max at 1440x900 res (1680x1050 usualy but its 5am and i can't be bothered editing the ui till tommorow afternoon

As for linux lets just say Tux is my new best friend, i doubt il go back to windows, Nix has everything windows has just for free, and it runs a million times faster takes me 8 secconds to turn the pc on ready for wow, Very simple to install very easy to use, and enough documentation that a 5 year old could install ubuntu and wow have fun

And to show off how cool it looks with Compiz Fusion (its like a desktop enhancement thing comes standard with Kubuntu 10.8 but can be downloaded and installed on any nix version)

thats what u get when u Alt + Tab instead of the windows thing it really is cool i would strongly recommend this

Last edited by Raziel08 : 11-30-08 at 11:54 PM.
11-30-08, 11:04 PM   #67
CrysisFX
A Defias Bandit
AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Originally Posted by Raziel08 View Post
ok well here are the results i managed to install kubuntu and wow with real ease the documentation for this os is immense and if that dont help IRC does evrything works including addons here is the proof oh and a nice steady 80fps

And to prove is Kubuntu 8.10 i ran it in a window and captured the screen

so as u can see honestly the performance was better in kubuntu than in windows Vsync is enabled and getting between 80 - 110 fps as the screenshots prove hope this answers some peoples questions all graphics are set to max at 1440x900 res (1680x1050 usualy but its 5am and i can't be bothered editing the ui till tommorow afternoon

As for linux lets just say Tux is my new best friend, i doubt il go back to windows, Nix has everything windows has just for free, and it runs a million times faster takes me 8 secconds to turn the pc on ready for wow, Very simple to install very easy to use, and enough documentation that a 5 year old could install ubuntu and wow have fun
Nice im glad you like it. But be weary with kubuntu. KDE may look nice but it can bloat things up over time and slow you down.
11-30-08, 11:06 PM   #68
Raziel08
A Fallenroot Satyr
so you would recommend changing from KDE to maybe gnome?
12-01-08, 05:03 AM   #69
Psoewish
A Scalebane Royal Guard

I think that one comes down mainly to personal preference.

I prefer GNOME, lots of people prefer KDE and I think it's pretty much divided opinions about it. I say use what you want but make sure you've tested them both at least once.
12-01-08, 01:16 PM   #70
Raziel08
A Fallenroot Satyr
Tried Gnome dont like it, KDE ftw specialy with Compiz Fusion
12-01-08, 02:16 PM   #71
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I'm going to try to get KDE again using Wubi. I tried once before and was unable to manage (or clicked wrong install) . I think Gnome is -okay-, but just not my taste I think.
12-01-08, 02:55 PM   #72
Psoewish
A Scalebane Royal Guard

Tried Gnome dont like it, KDE ftw specialy with Compiz Fusion
Gnome has Compiz Fusion as well. :P
12-01-08, 04:05 PM   #73
Raziel08
A Fallenroot Satyr
Originally Posted by Psoewish View Post
Gnome has Compiz Fusion as well. :P
true, But it comes as standard with Kubuntu 8.10
12-01-08, 04:10 PM   #74
Vyper
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

Originally Posted by Yhor View Post
I'm going to try to get KDE again using Wubi. I tried once before and was unable to manage (or clicked wrong install) . I think Gnome is -okay-, but just not my taste I think.
You can run them both! If your running GNOME just open synaptic and install Kubuntu-desktop! Then at the login screen you can choose between them.
12-01-08, 06:38 PM   #75
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I figured that out after I got KDE... it wasn't nearly as apparent with Gnome that you could do that (for this noob anyway). I must say I really like the KDE desktop, it's very nice. The Adobe installations into firefox on the other hand... kind of driving me nuts, but I may have something going on in my permissions. I'll figure it out, it's likely user error.

I really appreciate all the tips and advice I've received, most helpful.
12-01-08, 07:54 PM   #76
Raziel08
A Fallenroot Satyr
i never used linux in my life, installed kubuntu got wow working, sound internet etc.. works like a treat as you can see
12-01-08, 11:52 PM   #77
WEEWSIR
A Defias Bandit
Ubunto

i didnt know wow would work with linux how is this ? more info is need plz post on it

thxs
12-01-08, 11:54 PM   #78
WEEWSIR
A Defias Bandit
awsome

i never used linux in my life, installed kubuntu got wow working, sound internet etc.. works like a treat as you can see
linux is awsome os if only it would work with wow
12-02-08, 05:34 AM   #79
Psoewish
A Scalebane Royal Guard

It does work with wow, just get WINE.
12-02-08, 07:28 AM   #80
break19
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Originally Posted by Psoewish View Post
It does work with wow, just get WINE.
Yea, but it's so damn hit n miss.. Works great for some people.. Worked poorly for me, no matter what I tried. I am used to 20-30ish FPS under win xp.. but under wine, I got about 15fps. not to mention my mouse was hard as hell to control, since wow's opengl mode doesnt support "Hardware mouse cursor"

break19

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » Windows or Ubunto?