03-02-10, 03:38 AM   #21
Bluspacecow
Giver of walls of text :)

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Psychophan7 View Post
To be fair, those links are obfuscated (love that word) by the forum. Still, the important part is that the source was found, not that who found it "F1RST!!!!"
Okay I'll give you that but wow.com specifically credits World of Raids.

They didn't do in work in finding the source for the hack at all other then bringing up the world raids website. Again they credit World of Raids for this.

I know I'm being all factious but I like credit being put where credit is due. Zyonin even credited Cameron correctly in his original post.
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)
03-02-10, 03:50 AM   #22
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

To be fair, those links are obfuscated (love that word) by the forum. Still, the important part is that the source was found, not that who found it "F1RST!!!!"
I would not call the displayed links obfuscated, more like truncated. However, if you mouse over the link, the full link location will be revealed in your browser's status bar.
03-02-10, 06:32 AM   #23
Psychophan7
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
Arguing semantics and who found it first is fun and all, but really now. The story is getting more coverage and that's what matters here, not if browsers display links when you mouse over them, or if automatically parsed links are trunctated or obfuscated, or if the first post wasn't updated in a non-attention grabbing manner with the source link.

Sheesh.
03-02-10, 08:11 AM   #24
Bluspacecow
Giver of walls of text :)

Arguing semantics and who found it first is fun and all, but really now. The story is getting more coverage and that's what matters here, not if browsers display links when you mouse over them, or if automatically parsed links are trunctated or obfuscated, or if the first post wasn't updated in a non-attention grabbing manner with the source link.

Sheesh.
I agree with it getting more coverage. The more people that know about it the better.

But It's not semantics here friend I was just refuting something you said :

Here's what you said

Good news, everyone! WoW.com found out where the malware came from!

http://www.wow.com/2010/03/01/update...ce-identified/
And from the article you linked :
Just a quick update from from our friends at World of Raids about the current situation regarding circumvented authenticators. It appears there are multiple websites being used for this malware. Be careful of which sites you go to in order to update your addons from; fake website addresses are being used to trick users.
So what I understand your posts above is you think both wow.com and worldofraids.com both did work in tracking down the source.

This couldn't be further from the truth as Matt Low states in his article on wow.com he was told the source by World of Raids.

World of Raids is the real source.

Sorry for the diversion guys but that's what my posts above were refuting. It was never about arguing who was first and who was not. It was about Psyhcophan misunderstanding where I was coming from.

I know this is a bit factious of me but incorrect statements like that bug the hell out of me.

Psyhcophan , it would be like someone discovering the source for some malware and you crediting the New York times for finding out what that source was.
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)

Last edited by Bluspacecow : 03-02-10 at 08:18 AM.
03-02-10, 03:44 PM   #25
nightcracker
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Riddrick View Post
removed - Cairenn
Why does your avatar scare me?

Last edited by Cairenn : 03-02-10 at 05:13 PM.
03-02-10, 04:16 PM   #26
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by nightcracker View Post
Why does your avatar scare me?
I would think that people who talk to themselves on forums would petrify you lol.
03-02-10, 04:24 PM   #27
nightcracker
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Petrah View Post
I would think that people who talk to themselves on forums would petrify you lol.
nightcracker: Hey nightcracker, want some cookies?
nightcracker: Sure.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!!!!!!
03-02-10, 04:25 PM   #28
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

nightcracker: Hey nightcracker, want some cookies?
nightcracker: Sure.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!!!!!!

03-08-10, 12:16 PM   #29
forty2j
A Cobalt Mageweaver
I'm sorry, usually I don't flame, but this is an exception.
Which doesn't make it any better now.

"I don't usually murder people, but this is an exception."

Sigh.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » Security Issues: Trojan attacks Autheticator protected accounts.