06-16-10, 10:05 AM   #1
Grimsin
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
A new version of the same scam. Catac beta spoof

I just recived this email figured i would post it here. This is the first time im seeing this version but 99% sure its the same old steal your info scam.
the links are altered so we dont get people going to them via this...put "" so you can see how it is they attempt to trick you by single offsetting web address's.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Greetings,
We are excited to announce the World of Warcraft: Cataclysm beta opt-in is now available.

In the beta test you will be given an opportunity to provide your feedback on the overall gameplay experience as well as experience new playable worgen and goblin races, new zones, professions and more. For a full list of features please follow this link: http://www-.wor-"i"-dofwar-"l"-craft-.com-/account

We will be selecting account holders of Battle.net and World of Warcraft accounts who opted-in at random to participate in the World of Warcraft: Cataclysm Beta Test. To opt-in for the beta test please visit the World of Warcraft: Cataclysm current news here

In order to be eligible for the World of Warcraft: Cataclysm - Beta Opt In you will need to have a valid World of Warcraft subscription in good standing when the beta test is scheduled to commence. Should you be selected to participate in the beta test you will be able to transfer your characters onto our test realm and embark on the epic journey against the dreaded Deathwing!

We look forward to working with you in the World of Warcraft: Cataclsym Beta test.

Beta Account Support
Blizzard Entertainment

To unsubscribe this email address from all future Blizzard customer service, please click here:
--http://us-.blizzard.com/-opt/-support-survey/unsubscribe.xml?id=c2hhbmzao0c849AaG90bWFpbC5jby51aw%3d%3d--
-------------------------------------------------------------------

GrimUI
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
06-16-10, 10:17 AM   #2
maurdr
A Cliff Giant
lols its pretty well written but i didnt notice a few grammar mistakes. if i checked my email more often and wasnt reading close enough i might be tempted to click that.
06-16-10, 11:16 AM   #3
Grimsin
A Molten Giant

yea its a new version way better written then most of the ones i get. also note that this one did not go to the spam like most of them do it went to my main inbox folder.

GrimUI
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
06-16-10, 12:02 PM   #4
haylie
A Scalebane Royal Guard

I wrote this a while ago for my guild forums but I guess most of the stuff is still relevant:

----------
So lately my mailbox has been spammed with an incredible amount of "go to this site and give us your account details" emails. What's so unusual about them is, I have never, ever, prior to the release of 3.3, received ANY kind of scam email. Ever. So there's either something incredibly wrong with Blizzard's security (where the heck did they get my battle.net email anyway? I only use it for battle.net, nothing else), or it's the end of the world (2012 anyone?).

Anyhow, I thought I might put this up here. These messages look INCREDIBLY similar to a real Blizzard email. Even the website link looks the same. If it weren't for my little secret, my account would have been hacked already.

So what is my little secret, you ask? It's simple, really.

It's called Firefox.

Internet Explorer users, sorry, but IE is total crap. Complete and utter failure. Terrible. Get rid of that thing, now!

So how does Firefox save the day in this case? This is how:

http://i769.photobucket.com/albums/x...yn/firefox.jpg

This is the page Firefox displayed after I clicked on the link in the scam email. How nifty, isn't it?

And what would have happened if I clicked the same link in Internet Explorer?

This is what:

http://i769.photobucket.com/albums/x...etexplorer.jpg

Oh wow. That looks almost exactly like an official login form. Not good!

So please, for the love of the Guild Bank and your account, don't get yourself hacked. Always remember:

Blizzard will NEVER ever ever EVER ask your account details through email. EVER. Blizzard will NEVER ever ever EVER link you to a page that asks your account details. EVER.

Bookmark all the official sites and NEVER open them from an email link or through Google Search. EVER.

Also, you may or may not be aware that you can install addons for Firefox that are similar in purpose to the WoW addons - modify the user interface. There are 3 excellent addons that I would like to highlight here:

Adblock Plus

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1865

Flashblock

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/433

NoScript

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/722

Read 'em, use 'em, love 'em! Makes internet browsing so much safer.

You should also download updates for Windows and your antivirus software as often as possible (you ARE using antivirus software, aren't you? Does it have anti spyware and malware too?), clean up your junk/defrag your disk/wash your PC in the sink when you get the chance too. And remember the golden rule:

"Passwords are like toothbrushes - never share them with anyone, and change them once every three months!"

P.S.: For the lazy ones, get Firefox here:

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/personal.html
06-16-10, 01:25 PM   #5
Grimsin
A Molten Giant

free antivirus = virus.... antivirus = virus.... brwoser addons = virus... spyware = virus... malware = virus... free anything on the net = virus

i have not used antivirus in years and never get viruses. of course i dont download garbage and dont let other people use my comp and em capable of detecting and dismantling viruses without the help of a antivirus.

FireFox = uber elite, IE = newb user junk...

just be mindful of the fact that some websites just flat out do not support firefox period. few and far between though. infact only two come to mind...

as for where they get your email from... this is all much bigger then you think. The people responsible were running international scams long before wow came along. Wow just became a great target. so there are a few possibility on how the info was obtained. It did seem to get real bad when bliz switched to the battlenet account stuff. If they were hacked or have a security leak it is in battlenet. More then likely i would say though somewhere you used the email, or it maybe even more complex considering who may be behind it... like they are monitoring email sites for traffic... everyone who went and signed up for battlenet got a bunch of emails when they did especially those of us after lil pets. What may have gone on is they saw the traffic into certain email accounts and knew then that you were a wow player or at lest that you had a battle net account since im actually getting these emails for a few games i dont nor ever had played. and getting them for almost all the ones i have.

So the leak would not really be bliz's fault or problem. Another thought is that the info was sold by one place or the other... i wont point fingers and i doubt seriously bliz had anything to do with any of it. our free emails get paid for somehow.... the best way to support free email is to sell those email address to advertisers.

many of the letters grammar, frequency and other things match up a lot with 419 emails i get all the time. The whole thing would seem to be a sideshow of the 419 scams. Most likely run by the same entity. again i wont point any fingers to who that is here but... yea. The entitys behind the 419 scams do have the finances and power to do things mentioned above and fits together nicely... to bad the fbi refuses to do anything about it....

google 419 scam.

edit -- OOO or you could take my route... wreck your credit, go in the whole way over your head, get in trouble with the law. Then no one wants to steal your info, infact i put my info everywhere in the hopes someone will steal it so i can blame everything on them MUHAHAHA

One last thing, GET A BLIZ AUTHENTICATOR!!! its the best protection you can have. for wow anyway... lol for other things try LifeLock? or for other things try Trojan i hear there in the protection business hehe

GrimUI
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by Grimsin : 06-16-10 at 01:44 PM.
06-16-10, 01:47 PM   #6
Tntdruid
Premium Member

Premium Member
Wink

i never get em gmail nuke em for me
06-16-10, 01:48 PM   #7
Grimsin
A Molten Giant

gmail is good i will admit. i get 0 spam to my gmail. my guess is google doesnt need to sell your info

GrimUI
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
06-16-10, 01:52 PM   #8
Cralor
Mmm... cookies!!!

Originally Posted by Grimsin View Post
gmail is good i will admit. i get 0 spam to my gmail. my guess is google doesnt need to sell your info
I am getting spam now. But it is very good at weeding it. I just got the official Blizzard one in my Inbox, so it is working great.
06-16-10, 02:27 PM   #9
haylie
A Scalebane Royal Guard

im actually getting these emails for a few games i dont nor ever had played. and getting them for almost all the ones i have.
I know. I'm getting emails on both my email addresses (one has absolutely nothing to do with WoW) for games I don't even play, like Age of Conan.

One last thing, GET A BLIZ AUTHENTICATOR!!! its the best protection you can have. for wow anyway... lol for other things try LifeLock? or for other things try Trojan i hear there in the protection business hehe
http://www.wow.com/2010/02/28/man-in...uthenticators/
06-16-10, 02:44 PM   #10
maurdr
A Cliff Giant
edit -- OOO or you could take my route... wreck your credit, go in the whole way over your head, get in trouble with the law. Then no one wants to steal your info, infact i put my info everywhere in the hopes someone will steal it so i can blame everything on them MUHAHAHA

definitely lold so hard i almost fell outta my chair.
06-16-10, 02:44 PM   #11
Grimsin
A Molten Giant

Thats highly unlikely though, as it even says in the article. a good practice when typing passwords is to always make a mistake and backspace it. most keyloggers do not register backspace or even if they do it makes it harder for the person watching the logger to figure out what you typed. again though dont download funny stuff...

GrimUI
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by Grimsin : 06-16-10 at 02:51 PM.
06-16-10, 02:57 PM   #12
Soulofsin_007
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
{<-} {<-} 3434343. The {<-} is a backspace. And when typing it out like this...

Enter Password: ABCDEFG

Keylogger caught it exact way I typed it: Enter Password: ABC {<-} {<-} D {<-} { {<-} EFG
06-16-10, 03:03 PM   #13
Wella
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

Anyone who falls for such an e-mail is either foreign or needs to seriously reconsider if Blizzard games are for them.
* ncHoverBind - I'm a Lock, what can you expect?
* oGlow - Agan, a missing feature
* Recount - Derp
* ShooShards - Another missing feature

"Your idea is good. So i will try it."
- popmissa
06-16-10, 03:36 PM   #14
Grimsin
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Soulofsin_007 View Post
{<-} {<-} 3434343. The {<-} is a backspace. And when typing it out like this...

Enter Password: ABCDEFG

Keylogger caught it exact way I typed it: Enter Password: ABC {<-} {<-} D {<-} { {<-} EFG
not all loggers do the backspace and technically depending on how they are passing the authenticator code over to the login the backspace could foul that for sure. my point is that its highly unlikely and very difficult. so the authenticator can now be rated 99.99% secure... still the best protection.

GrimUI
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
06-16-10, 06:48 PM   #15
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

Originally Posted by Wella View Post
Anyone who falls for such an e-mail is either foreign or needs to seriously reconsider if Blizzard games are for them.
Good Lord... Do you really think this way, or are you just having a bad moment... Or month...

~ no need to make the message completely obnoxious - Cairenn
06-16-10, 09:52 PM   #16
xandora
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

free antivirus = virus.... antivirus = virus.... brwoser addons = virus... spyware = virus... malware = virus... free anything on the net = virus

i have not used antivirus in years and never get viruses. of course i dont download garbage and dont let other people use my comp and em capable of detecting and dismantling viruses without the help of a antivirus.

...snip...
This mindset annoys me. Yes, you may have never needed an antivirus software, but it doesn't mean that other people just need to 'wise up' or that they download garbage because they're not very smart about the internet.

I don't download garbage, but I still use an antivirus simply because on the off chance that I might need to get something from a questionable site I know I'll be protected from most nasties that may try and sneak in.

And suggesting Authenticators but not an Antivirus seems rather double-standardish if you ask me. :P
06-16-10, 10:23 PM   #17
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Let's not forget the flash vulnerabilities (one is currently ongoing) that let baddies slip through a reputable site's ads. An antivirus is always a good idea.

And free =/= virus. I use the free version of AVG and haven't had issues with it.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

06-16-10, 11:02 PM   #18
Psychophan7
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
Uhm, how would you know if you never get viruses if you haven't used anti-virus in years? That would be like covering your eyes to deal with a tiger; Just because you can't see it doesn't mean you're not going to get mauled.

Best advice ever, for everyone else:
1. Start up WoW.
2. At the login screen, click the "manage account" button.
3. Arrive at an official Blizzard site.
06-17-10, 10:58 AM   #19
Grimsin
A Molten Giant

ooo praise the anti virus. I wont quote all the remarks that im remarking back to but plain and simple. I dont need anti virus, never have, i know when i have a virus, i know how to deal with them. If you dont, by all means get antivirus.

I hear the free AVG is good as well. I wouldn't use it with your ten foot pole. That doesn't mean YOU shouldn't use it with your OWN pole...

There is absolutely no argument in the fact that they slow your system down. For me the security they provide is slim to none and not worth the performance decrease.

Many antivirus programs ESPECIALLY the free ones are in fact viruses/addware/malware/spyware. If you would like i can email you 100 sites with supposed antivirus that falls into one of the category's mentioned. and btw AVG is addware.... IMHO learning to not download viruses and how to deal with them WITHOUT an antivirus sounds much safer then trusting antivirus software.

Im not saying that the average joe shouldnt use norten or macafee or avg or something but i personally will not use them and i recommend to my clients that they also use other forms of protection rather then using antivirus. Since you can protect yourself at a more base lvl.

and its far from double standard they are two totally different things. you think your firewall and your antivirus fall into the same category to? to entirely different types of security, if they were not do you think they would come defaulted as both running when you install Windows?

Flat out people do need to 'wise up' which is exactly why i started this thread and posted that email. wise up to the fact the scammers are out there, they are getting better and we need to pay more attention. Dont rely on antivirus, learn more about whats going on. How it all works.

A lot of viruses disable your antivirus. Now what? The only way you ever know you have a virus is when your antivirus tells you? wow... and people wonder why they get hacked....

GrimUI
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
06-17-10, 12:30 PM   #20
Grimsin
A Molten Giant

let me tell a little story to just show exactly what im talking about and why you must be VERY careful even with your antivirus.

soo a few weeks ago i had let my tenants use my laptop. They came to me one night saying that it had a virus. That they had downloaded a free antivirus and it said there was a virus. However this so called free antivirus said it needed to be paid for in order to be capable of removing the virus.

There was no virus. The antivirus itself was in fact a addware as well as a trojan. I found it doing a handful of malicious things.

So... check these links out... and be careful with everything you do. "ignorance is bliss" until it kills you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogue_security_software

http://www.spywarevoid.com/remove-al...oval-help.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_virus

GrimUI
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » A new version of the same scam. Catac beta spoof