09-04-19, 12:10 PM   #1
mathias234
A Murloc Raider
Clicking frame targets player

Hi, I am working on a new unit frame mostly just to learn the addons api. I got alot of stuff working but on of the features of the default ui i can't seem to figure out is how when you click it you end up selecting your own character..

From what i see this is a protected function but lots of other addons are able to do it so there must be a way.

there is also another feature which is when you hold over a unit frame (group, player or target) they will also be "selected" for the time you hover this is used by hover macros and some addons like clique.

My Addon source:
LUA:
https://pastebin.com/m6CVhNdQ

XML:
https://pastebin.com/BsA9qXFk
09-04-19, 12:30 PM   #2
SDPhantom
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Blizzard includes secure templates you can inherit from that offer access to protected functionality. Here's a list of resources to check out.
See also:

Last edited by SDPhantom : 09-04-19 at 12:47 PM.
09-04-19, 01:38 PM   #3
mathias234
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by SDPhantom View Post
Blizzard includes secure templates you can inherit from that offer access to protected functionality. Here's a list of resources to check out.
See also:
Alright, I'll look into it
09-04-19, 02:33 PM   #4
mathias234
A Murloc Raider
I tried adding inherits="SecureHandlerMouseUpDownTemplate" on my PlayerFrame and adding this code to it

Code:

SUF_PlayerFrame:SetAttribute("_onmouseup", [=[ 
    if button == "LeftButton" then
        print("secure")
        TargetUnit("player")
    end
]=]);
And the print does execute but TargetUnit is not found, I guess I am doing this incorrectly
09-05-19, 01:01 PM   #5
SDPhantom
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Try using SecureUnitButtonTemplate. Your frame needs to be of type Button like this.
Code:
<Button name="SUF_PlayerFrame" parent="UIParent" inherits="SecureUnitButtonTemplate" movable="true">

In your OnLoad script, you need to add these. (Note: You should pass self to your OnLoad handler and use that.)
Code:
self:RegisterForClicks("AnyUp");
self:SetAttribute("unit","player");
self:SetAttribute("type1","target");
self:SetAttribute("type2","togglemenu");
This sets up the necessary attributes to mimic what the default PlayerFrame does.
09-05-19, 03:01 PM   #6
mathias234
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by SDPhantom View Post
Try using SecureUnitButtonTemplate. Your frame needs to be of type Button like this.
Code:
<Button name="SUF_PlayerFrame" parent="UIParent" inherits="SecureUnitButtonTemplate" movable="true">

In your OnLoad script, you need to add these. (Note: You should pass self to your OnLoad handler and use that.)
Code:
self:RegisterForClicks("AnyUp");
self:SetAttribute("unit","player");
self:SetAttribute("type1","target");
self:SetAttribute("type2","togglemenu");
This sets up the necessary attributes to mimic what the default PlayerFrame does.
Thanks this seems to be working correctly

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » Lua/XML Help » Clicking frame targets player