08-21-07, 08:57 AM   #41
WaldoJeffers
A Molten Giant

Pretty original desktop really. The background is from Interface lift AKA Desktop Background Central. Tokyo at night, I like
08-21-07, 09:03 AM   #42
WaldoJeffers
A Molten Giant

These 3D cubes spin around so you see the face front on, right?
08-21-07, 10:36 AM   #43
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Yes. And linux can get viruses, it's just that hackers would rather spend their time targeting Windows (which does have more holes) with its greater user base.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

08-21-07, 10:52 AM   #44
WaldoJeffers
A Molten Giant

I tried Windows blinds once but apparently my "computer guy" said it gave viruses or programs it was affiliated with, Stardock maybe or something. However now, I want a black toolbar and menu etc. skin. Is there a welcoming program I can get one from? not vista...
08-21-07, 10:59 AM   #45
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Originally Posted by Qynova
it gave viruses or programs it was affiliated with, Stardock maybe or something.
Huh?.... Stardock is the company that WindowBlinds is from. All you get when you install WindowBlinds is WindowBlinds. Check it out here: http://www.stardock.com/products/windowblinds/ (There's a 30 day free trial.)

Here's my current set-up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	desktop.JPG
Views:	1108
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	1372  
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

08-21-07, 11:00 AM   #46
WaldoJeffers
A Molten Giant

I thought I woulda said it wrong, lol. Nice screenie
08-21-07, 11:04 AM   #47
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Thanks. Wallpaper is here: http://www.wincustomize.com/skins.as...=31984&libid=8

08-21-07, 11:46 AM   #48
robthedude
Don't Panic

EDIT: Ignore this post, the link is further down cos I linked the wrong link

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thought that you people that like black might like THIS!

it's basically the windows xp theme, but in black, I believe vista has one similar

ooh, and in reply to an older post - Hellarion - thats a local IP, it's the same on virually every network

Last edited by robthedude : 08-22-07 at 10:28 AM.
08-21-07, 11:58 AM   #49
Dreadlorde
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I want WindowsBlinds

Can I buy it in a store? Or do I have to order it from them?

Funtoo - Plan 9 - Windows 7
08-21-07, 12:49 PM   #50
malcite
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Originally Posted by Qynova
I tried Windows blinds once but apparently my "computer guy" said it gave viruses or programs it was affiliated with, Stardock maybe or something. However now, I want a black toolbar and menu etc. skin. Is there a welcoming program I can get one from? not vista...
Well your "computer guy" is wrong. WindowBlind in itself doesn't have any viruses. I have used it several times with very different virus programs installed (AVG, Norton, McAfee, Panda, F-Secure) and never encountered a virus warning on it.

However there are the custom skins that you download to use with WindowBlinds that can sometimes contain harmful material, and also WindowBlinds tend to use a bit of resources so its not recommended if you are using high end software or games (wow, photoshop etc) as it slows them down a bit.

If you still want to use it, i recommend browsing for sites that seem a bit more decent. These sites usually have a higher safety and check for viruses regularely
08-21-07, 12:57 PM   #51
WaldoJeffers
A Molten Giant

Yes I was corrected earlier by seerah, Thankyou Malcite
"Affiliated" with Windows blinds, It could well of been a skin file.
I'm trying to get the package thingy Rob posted above, but the files are downloading at 5kbps and disconnecting me from the servers moments through the d/l.

EDIT: well i'm up to the stage where i need Uxtheme Multi-patcher 5.5 In order to run the Skin package Robthedude posted. I searhed it first for some info on it before i DL and came to a standstill when i read this comment

"terrible"

changes windows system files and makes them inreadable so windows becomes unstable.
Do not download trust me.

- dinggggggggggggggggg

ehhh, to the computer file guru's, shall i Download ?

Last edited by WaldoJeffers : 08-21-07 at 01:17 PM.
08-21-07, 06:32 PM   #52
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

I personally didnt like windowblinds when i tired it a while back. On suggestion from several friends i gave the less robust stylexp a go. So far im very happy. Doesnt have some of the flexibility i recall from windowblinds, but i find it easier to use so it suits my needs.

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor
08-21-07, 07:29 PM   #53
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
I actually just paid for WindowBlinds the other day. I used it all through its trial, then tried LiteStep, Aston, and perhaps one other, and tried living with the default look of XP again. I hate the Win2000 look, so changing colors, etc, myself was out of the question, and I only really like the silver xp theme of those three. So, back to WindowBlinds I went, and I paid the $20 as an early birthday present to myself.

08-21-07, 07:36 PM   #54
Takatalvi
A Cliff Giant
Originally Posted by Seerah
Yes. And linux can get viruses, it's just that hackers would rather spend their time targeting Windows (which does have more holes) with its greater user base.
Actually It would be near impossible for a linux user to get a virus. Things aren't automatically installed as a background process as in windows. You have to input a secure password when ever installing anything...

Originally Posted by 0Blackmage0
Man, I love that version with the cube. I wanna get it . Anyone know where i can get it, Store or Online?
you can get it from www.ubuntu.com the cube is a program called Beryl @ www.beryl-project.org. There are some really cool youtube videos of it.
08-21-07, 08:01 PM   #55
Kaomie
A Scalebane Royal Guard

Originally Posted by Takatalvi
Actually It would be near impossible for a linux user to get a virus. Things aren't automatically installed as a background process as in windows. You have to input a secure password when ever installing anything...
That is quite an optimistic point of view you have
Probably the most dangerous flaw to any OS, the user absolute trust into the system security
08-21-07, 10:22 PM   #56
guice
A Cobalt Mageweaver
Originally Posted by Kaomie
That is quite an optimistic point of view you have
Probably the most dangerous flaw to any OS, the user absolute trust into the system security
It's not impossible, but it is virtually improvable. Linux was built with security in mind. Something that was an afterthought for Windows. Even IF a virus got onto your system, you'll be running at a normal user so you'll be unable to do any major damage.

In Linux, you have to rely on an application exploit to even try to do any dmg. Given the speed of patches (1-2 day turnarounds) it's improvable Linux would be hacked.
08-21-07, 11:51 PM   #57
robthedude
Don't Panic

eep! I'm really sorry Qynova, that wasn't where I originally downloaded it from, stop and nobody move!

THIS is it.
I've checked, it's definately this one, sorry about the one before... :s

08-22-07, 03:40 AM   #58
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

My current desktop:

By xinhkero

Theme: Ubuntu Human Theme (Blue), imported into Windowblinds
Icons: NuoveXT-KDE (RocketDock and the lone folder) from KDE_Look.org & Equal (the drive icons) Author: Maidanov

Likely my last major UI overhaul until I replace Windows with Ubuntu (provided Poste Italia does not lose the CD).

Last edited by Zyonin : 08-22-07 at 03:58 AM.
08-22-07, 06:46 AM   #59
WaldoJeffers
A Molten Giant

Thanks for the link rob

08-22-07, 06:57 AM   #60
Takatalvi
A Cliff Giant
Originally Posted by Xinh
My current desktop:

Theme: Ubuntu Human Theme (Blue), imported into Windowblinds
Icons: NuoveXT-KDE (RocketDock and the lone folder) from KDE_Look.org & Equal (the drive icons) Author: Maidanov

Likely my last major UI overhaul until I replace Windows with Ubuntu (provided Poste Italia does not lose the CD).

Windose with an Unbuntu Look, I like it. I was an avid user of Windows blinds before I left windows. Well, I still dual boot XP for certain games that aren't supported in wine. Like Warcraft 1/2, I tried them in dosbox, that was just too much hassle for me. Or too repetitive rather.

Nice Desktop.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Tech Chat » Screenshot of your Desktop