10-23-05, 01:20 PM   #1
tralkar
An Onyxian Warder

WTF is up....

with Curse? They need a new sever or something i can never get on that site.. Its been down for me for 3 days now. next time i get on i have to copy all my addons from there and look for a new site for the fixings...Not just down but Slow a sheot
10-23-05, 01:25 PM   #2
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Gee, I wonder where you might possibly be able to find somewhere to host your mods for you?

*peers around trying to find a hosting site*

FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Avatar Image by RaffaeleMarinetti
10-23-05, 01:28 PM   #3
Devla
A Cobalt Mageweaver

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Not sure whats up with Curse. They are definitely making some changes, with the www1, www2 and www3 adresses. One of their admins visits here sometimes, mabye they can elaborate.

I know that Rushster is adding a new server to ui.worldofwar.net very soon. The amount of "users online" is roughly 200-800+ at all times lately. Thats alot of traffic. I don't have a timeframe, sorry.

Meanwhile, www.wowinterface.com and www.wowguru.com must be seeing big spikes in their user count.
10-23-05, 03:37 PM   #4
Andeh
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
ive noticed their site is extremely slow, and it is indeed very irritating. I hope its fixed soon.
10-23-05, 05:14 PM   #5
Akopian
A Murloc Raider
Slowly but surely, I've been using this site more and more. For one thing, there are some interesting mods out there that publish here first it seems. Also, it is never slow.
10-23-05, 05:16 PM   #6
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
We try, Akopian.
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Avatar Image by RaffaeleMarinetti
10-24-05, 01:15 PM   #7
GRiM
An Aku'mai Servant

Thumbs up

I don't see why people don't just host their mods here?

When patch day hits I've noticed that Curse and ui.wow.net are always slow/down/low-band mode.

That's why I always come here first. This site is great. Always up. Downloads are VERY well organized (Huge plus in my books). The search has never EVER failed me.

If I had more time on my hands and decided to create a mod I would host it here, but I don't cause I am too busy enjoying the game.
10-24-05, 01:44 PM   #8
Gaal
A Fallenroot Satyr
It has it's ups and downs

Honestly, I find I need both worldofwar, curse, AND wowinterface for a number of reasons.
  • On Curse, when it's up (rarely, and if so half the page loads improperly) it's search system is VERY good. If they host the mod at all, I can find it on the spot whether I use spaces or not, caps or not, and if I do use the wrong word it usually puts the one I want on the first few pages anyway and I always find stuff that looks cool on the way.
  • On WorldofWar.net the search really stinks, but they have a HUGE repository of older mods that might still work but haven't been updated and thus aren't used by half the people who still need that functionality.
  • On WowInterface.com it's always up, always loads relatively fast compared to curse/worldofwar (or in the case of curse, loads at all period) and I love the little preview pictures when you hover over items in the latest updates list. I only wish that was found everywhere. The trouble with WowInterface that keeps me from using it more is that every time I search for anything I always get either very few results, or 60 pages worth of results (roughly), and 99% of the time either the few it gives me or the entire lists of 3 or so pages (the maximum I'm willing to search) don't even contain the searched word ANYWHERE in the title, description, comments...I've done 'find on page' searches to be sure.

I also feel the category system on Curse is superior, with WorldofWar.net coming in close second. Here, I find it extremely limited and I am unable to figure out which category a mod I'm looking for would be in. If the search function worked, even 20% better (would still stink, but it's better than nothing) then the category thing wouldn't be an issue.

Either way, there are always improvements to be made.

Now for some good things about WowInterface:
  • Fast Site - Yes, I even have it as my browser start page and often don't go to the other sites even with their better points to offer because Curse is screwy recently and WorldofWar.net is unreliable at best.
  • Great Visuals - From the preview box effect (wish it was on more pages/lists than jsut the new-updates) to the colors, the borders, the layout, the fact that I don't have to scroll down to the middle of the screen to download (worldofwar.net) or look at a list of 30 billion past releases (curse-gaming) by just clicking the big, reliable, DOWNLOAD button.
  • Easy Login - Hallelujah! I can log in and it won't forget me in 10 minutes, or boot me to it's parent/host site when I log in from a forum reply button. The authentication system doesn't give me "you have entered an invalid username/password or the server really really sucks, please try again next millenia" evne when I enter the correct information over and over and over!

So, as you can see I'm not just a complainer... I'm a complainer bearing gifts! Great stuff people!
10-24-05, 04:06 PM   #9
tralkar
An Onyxian Warder

god $%&$

4th day down, i cant wait till i can download my addon from there and post it here.. I have one im useing but under a reason i cant add that here /snicker.. i want to take the goodone and add it.. and its only on curse as of now.. Ill never post anything on that site again beleave me......
10-24-05, 04:47 PM   #10
guice
A Cobalt Mageweaver
Yeah, *interface.com sites have always been pretty relyable. My only main beef is the not too specific catagory listings and way overly convoluted coding + graphics. I used the old original style until somebody removed it.

I so much like a KISS approach over webdesign (kind of like ui.worldofwar.net) over pretty graphics, borders, etc. Solid tone for me!

(and I like the two column style sites more, too, over three columns. Everything's always so bunched together in a three column design)
10-24-05, 07:19 PM   #11
GRiM
An Aku'mai Servant

Well ui.wow.net is back to low-band mode.

Come here...hey no problem.

I don't have any issues with the categories or the fact that the forum looks nice in a wow theme.

I also never have a beef with the search. It always seems to find what I'm looking for. Seems to me that ppl should use some better search criteria.

Flame away!
10-24-05, 08:01 PM   #12
Gaal
A Fallenroot Satyr
-sets grim on fire-
10-24-05, 10:34 PM   #13
Ratheri
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Thumbs up The whole curse thing

For awhile, I was using Curse almost exclusively, even though I've loved the *interface sites since EQ first started allowing you to mod their interface. The main reason was that ui.worldofwar.net would never bother to upload the mods i was using to wowinterface. If I can find the mods I'm looking for on wowinterface, I will probably start using it and ui.worldofwar.net as my primary resource, as a lot of mod authors do not even seem to be updating on curse, or when they do, it's a few days after I allready found it somewhere else...

Now I just wish T. King was into WoW
10-25-05, 06:29 AM   #14
GRiM
An Aku'mai Servant

Originally Posted by Gaal
-sets grim on fire-

/dance

/me sings "Burn baby burn, DISCO INFERNO!"

10-25-05, 06:32 AM   #15
ayradyss
A Theradrim Guardian

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I've found that it's exceptionally difficult to get a timely update up on Curse recently; I know the German-compliant RecipeBook was delayed for like 2 days because I couldn't even *load* the page.

No such problems here
10-25-05, 07:39 AM   #16
tralkar
An Onyxian Warder

today

well its day 5 but today all sites will be slow since wows down.. but then again slow is better an nothing =) still beats PAGE NOT FOUND =P
10-25-05, 08:48 AM   #17
dorkino
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
You can get into curse-gaming.com, and any other site that is experiencing an unusually high load of traffic, by repeatedly clicking the link you are trying to go to on the site, or if it's the main site you are trying to load, repeatedly clicking "Go" to the right of the URL bar. Watch the status bar at the lower left of your screen. When it says "Connecting to..." that means you haven't yet connected to the site and may very well not, so keep clicking. When it says "Waiting for response..." that means you've established a connection and you will see the site.

This is true for Firefox, not sure about IE - I don't use it.
10-25-05, 12:40 PM   #18
freshmeatz
A Murloc Raider
OK and well, after a really bad hangover, i feel lazy , hmmm wtf is the new *.toc version #?

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » WTF is up....