11-05-12, 04:34 AM   #1
patrick51
An Aku'mai Servant
Carbonite replacement

Need to know if there is a good questing adon out there. Carbonite as it stands and in the for see able future is not going to function properly. The decision to do the maps first was basicly it for me. I do not need the maps fixed they work fine. I have many alts to level and once they are leveled i disable the questing addons becouse they are not needed. So by the time this adon is possibly working i will not need it any more

11-05-12, 07:11 AM   #2
tinyu
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
both maps and quests NEED to be upgraded sorry that Rythal chose the the smaller job first and if you can't wait until Rythal is done then perhaps you should goback to using the default quest UI which tbh is a damn side easier than when I first started playing WoW.

And if you can find something near as good as Carbonite even as it stands then good on ya.

11-05-12, 08:33 AM   #3
patrick51
An Aku'mai Servant
Originally Posted by tinyu View Post
both maps and quests NEED to be upgraded sorry that Rythal chose the the smaller job first and if you can't wait until Rythal is done then perhaps you should goback to using the default quest UI which tbh is a damn side easier than when I first started playing WoW.

And if you can find something near as good as Carbonite even as it stands then good on ya.
And acualy no the maps don't if you left the program whole there is only some recodeing work and it would be fine.A addon that does not acualy point to the quests is kinda useless. All of the dailies point basicly to were they start not to were the quests acualy are. And acualy updating the quest data base would have been easier then anything else and it has to be updated anyway. My honest opion is not will not ever be fixed. basicly it took 2 months to decide to do the maps after he made the point to ask us what we wanted. Who honestly cares if it uses 80 percent less memory? it uses almost nothing now

Last edited by patrick51 : 11-05-12 at 08:36 AM.

11-05-12, 09:03 AM   #4
optimus deadpool
A Kobold Labourer
I am actually of the opinion you have no idea what you are talking about. Carbonite is a bloated mess as it is, Rythal is working to make the footprint smaller, and if he feels starting with maps makes it easier, so be it. As far as questing goes, I still use Carbonite for quest tracking and have had no problems save for breadcrumb quests, which is just a quick WoWhead look up and plot point away. I can see now you are complaining just to complain, and have no actual idea of what you are saying.

11-05-12, 09:31 AM   #5
patrick51
An Aku'mai Servant
Originally Posted by optimus deadpool View Post
I am actually of the opinion you have no idea what you are talking about. Carbonite is a bloated mess as it is, Rythal is working to make the footprint smaller, and if he feels starting with maps makes it easier, so be it. As far as questing goes, I still use Carbonite for quest tracking and have had no problems save for breadcrumb quests, which is just a quick WoWhead look up and plot point away. I can see now you are complaining just to complain, and have no actual idea of what you are saying.
Actually i do know what im talking about . I wrote my entire UI my self. Yes it has extra code in it but do you even think that there will be a actual working version of the add-on within the next 6 months. I don't for the simple fact 1) there are interface changes on PTR for the next patch 2) 3 months after that patch there is another patch and so on. I would be surprised if there is ever a working version of the modular version. unless he decides to make this a full time job.

No im angry becouse he took the Time to ask us what we wanted and then ****ing ignored us. If you have no intention of doing what you are asking then don't ask. That there is the biggest problem.

There are many quests that do not even work. Most of the shado pan quest point to the area you got the quest not were the quest is actually completed. They only sort of work after you cross the bridge and then it just lumps them in a big pile.

Last edited by patrick51 : 11-05-12 at 09:42 AM.

11-05-12, 10:28 AM   #6
Darkelf
A Defias Bandit
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
there's always questhelper lite lol
http://www.wowinterface.com/download...elperLite.html

Last edited by Darkelf : 11-05-12 at 10:40 AM. Reason: added link to questhelperlite

11-05-12, 10:39 AM   #7
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
If you think repairing / adding quests is easier then you really don't know anything about Carbonite and how it works. Hell just opening the quest database locks up most programs I try to open it in because they can't handle a string that long.

I don't have the fancy programs the old developers had that would datamine the information from the dbc files then autogenerate the strings / code. I don't have the intimate knowledge of the addon that lets me say ok so to add a new mailbox to the zone I modify here, here and here. I'm doing the best I can, and if I wasn't you wouldn't have anything at all right now.

Yes development is going slowly, these things don't happen overnight and that's why I keep the old carbonite up to date as much as possible, and I've tried to make it rely on updates as little as possible for the future ... it's not perfect but it works, and i've been using it myself for several characters both in leveling and in my dailies.

The maps overhaul i'm working on, is not just what you see... i'm working on overhauling the entire thing... right now the information is built from 5 arrays spread across 3 files, that's excessive and unnecessary.. why do I need the same area to be known as 643 in one spot, 213 in another, 6021 in a third each one returning different information... so i'm consolidating it all... and when that's done, if I decide to give up on WoW the next person to take over has one place to look and one thing to add.

11-13-12, 09:14 AM   #8
CougarKharne
A Murloc Raider

You say Rythal waited two months before asking us what we wanted? Well try reading your history before a little better. Rythal worked on Carbonite a lot as best he could. In the begining it was just for himeself, but then for others. He kept us updated on progress and asked for ideas daily. For a long time he was restricted with what he could do because of the copyright laws. He only had full rights to the addon about a month or so ago. Untill then he could not really work on most of Carbonite, (what he did was risky).
Now it is improving, maybe not yet to your high all mighty standards (what could be). But we all owe Rythal a debt of gratitude for what he has done. If you can do something that is better, please go ahead and do it. I would love to try it. Just remember to allways check your facts first before you say anything.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Carbonite replacement