01-05-11, 05:15 PM   #1
Nocturna
A Fallenroot Satyr
Mods: Goto's and HUD Arrow

Hi, I would like to suggest two seemingly-simple and minor mods to the addon:

1. Currently, we can't right-click on a town symbol or digsite symbol and "goto" it. We have to set the goto next to it, which involves a lot of monkey-motion: zoom way in, at which point the symbol completely disappears, so zoom out a bit at a time until it reappears, carefully maneuver your cursor arrow as close as you can to the actual place you want to go, but not TOO close or you won't be able to set the goto, etc. etc. blah blah. We need to be able to just right-click pretty much ANY symbol and set a goto for it directly without all the fiddle-faddling around. That would be wonderful.

2. All of the available color schemes for the HUD arrow are almost identical, in that they result in a white or pale yellow arrow with or without outline, depending on how far off-center we are pointed at any given moment. The problem is, all of these light colors fade to invisibility against a cloudy or otherwise-whiteish sky, and the supposedly-contrasting outlines fade when you're pointed directly at your target. Since we are now flying everywhere and not just in Outland and Northrend, and doing Archaeology, which involves setting goto's and flying to them across multiple zones, etc., the pale colors and disappearing outlines pretty much mean we can't see our HUD arrows about 75% of the time we're flying somewhere. It would be great to have some really garish NEON colors to choose from like brilliant neon green with shocking pink or tangerine orange outline that does NOT fade when pointed at the target, etc. etc. It's not about aesthetics, it's about being able to see it against various sky conditions when it is centered.

Thanks again for the great addon.

Last edited by Nocturna : 01-05-11 at 05:19 PM. Reason: clarify

01-06-11, 02:39 AM   #2
smedeley
An Aku'mai Servant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Nocturna View Post
1. Currently, we can't right-click on a town symbol or digsite symbol and "goto" it. We have to set the goto next to it, which involves a lot of monkey-motion: zoom way in, at which point the symbol completely disappears, so zoom out a bit at a time until it reappears, carefully maneuver your cursor arrow as close as you can to the actual place you want to go, but not TOO close or you won't be able to set the goto, etc. etc. blah blah. We need to be able to just right-click pretty much ANY symbol and set a goto for it directly without all the fiddle-faddling around. That would be wonderful.
I ran into this issue too but found a very simply way to overcome it. When you're hovering your mouse over the town or whatever icon Carbonite has that won't allow right-click to set a goto, simply hold CTRL key and all Carbonite notes will go below the minimap while CTRL is held, allowing you to right click and set a goto where the note is easily at any zoom-level.

2. All of the available color schemes for the HUD arrow are almost identical, in that they result in a white or pale yellow arrow with or without outline, depending on how far off-center we are pointed at any given moment. The problem is, all of these light colors fade to invisibility against a cloudy or otherwise-whiteish sky, and the supposedly-contrasting outlines fade when you're pointed directly at your target. Since we are now flying everywhere and not just in Outland and Northrend, and doing Archaeology, which involves setting goto's and flying to them across multiple zones, etc., the pale colors and disappearing outlines pretty much mean we can't see our HUD arrows about 75% of the time we're flying somewhere. It would be great to have some really garish NEON colors to choose from like brilliant neon green with shocking pink or tangerine orange outline that does NOT fade when pointed at the target, etc. etc. It's not about aesthetics, it's about being able to see it against various sky conditions when it is centered.
I use the Neon style, with Arrow Size set to 32, X off 0, Y off -65 and have not ever noticed not being able to see the arrow before. Neon is a black arrow with a neon-yellow outline.
EDIT: Oh I now see what you're talking about! I never noticed that before and I've been using Carbonite for ages, wow! Guess I watch the mini-map more, I don't know, but I'll probably notice it more now.. gee thanks! lol just messing.

Hope this info helps your issues.

Last edited by smedeley : 01-06-11 at 06:19 AM. Reason: corrected a number, also see 'edit'

01-06-11, 03:23 AM   #3
Jigain
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by smedeley View Post
I ran into this issue too but found a very simply way to overcome it. When you're hovering your mouse over the town or whatever icon Carbonite has that won't allow right-click to set a goto, simply hold CTRL key and all Carbonite notes will go below the minimap while CTRL is held, allowing you to right click and set a goto where the note is easily at any zoom-level.
Even better, when you hold down CTRL, a simple left-click on the map sets a goto.

01-06-11, 12:58 PM   #4
Nocturna
A Fallenroot Satyr
Originally Posted by Jigain View Post
Even better, when you hold down CTRL, a simple left-click on the map sets a goto.
Wow. Thanks for that info, even after 3 years or so of Carbonite I didn't know that.

Is there a printable list of shortcut controls somewhere? I have read every explanatory word published here and elsewhere at one time or another, and never found anything showing this amazing shortcut!

Thx again.

01-06-11, 01:02 PM   #5
Nocturna
A Fallenroot Satyr
Originally Posted by smedeley View Post
I use the Neon style, with Arrow Size set to 32, X off 0, Y off -65 and have not ever noticed not being able to see the arrow before. Neon is a black arrow with a neon-yellow outline.
EDIT: Oh I now see what you're talking about! I never noticed that before and I've been using Carbonite for ages, wow! Guess I watch the mini-map more, I don't know, but I'll probably notice it more now.. gee thanks! lol just messing.
My handicap is that I'm an instrument-rated pilot IRL, and so I have a deep-seated psychological need to watch the HUD arrow (CDI, HSI, VOR etc. in airplanes) pretty much constantly even though I am aware on some level that there are no crosswinds in WoW.....

01-06-11, 03:48 PM   #6
Jigain
A Molten Giant

Wow. Thanks for that info, even after 3 years or so of Carbonite I didn't know that.

Is there a printable list of shortcut controls somewhere? I have read every explanatory word published here and elsewhere at one time or another, and never found anything showing this amazing shortcut!

Thx again.
It's in your Addons\Carbonite folder, in a text file named CarboniteReadMe.txt.

01-07-11, 01:34 AM   #7
smedeley
An Aku'mai Servant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
My handicap is that I'm an instrument-rated pilot IRL, and so I have a deep-seated psychological need to watch the HUD arrow (CDI, HSI, VOR etc. in airplanes) pretty much constantly even though I am aware on some level that there are no crosswinds in WoW.....
haha, that's understandable! I've been noticing my arrow a lot more... lol *shakes finger at you*

Yeah, I totally forgot about the ctrl+click too! It's pure joy when someone reminds you of something so simple yet to awesome.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Mods: Goto's and HUD Arrow