08-08-12, 12:15 PM   #1
Rammoth
A Cliff Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Lightbulb Request/Help

I was wondering if it's possible to make a minimap addon that doesn't actually have a minimap, but instead a compass, kind of like what's in Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim?

I would like something like that, to use instead of a minimap.

If there is a way to make something like that, and there isn't an addon already made like it - how would I go about doing it myself?

I would love to learn.

Here is a screenshot of what I'm talking about:

The compass itself is on the top. It's designed to move with your character's direction. So say you're facing a certain direction, and move to another direction, when you move it will show icons on the compass to indicate locations that are normally shown on a map, without being as cluttering as a minimap.

If possible, I'd love to see a User Interface designed off of this entire thing, but that's for another post, and another time.

Last edited by Rammoth : 08-08-12 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Added a screenshot.
08-08-12, 12:20 PM   #2
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
There are other types of compass addons around, but I don't think I have seen this style...

Should be possible. Turn on rotate minimap and track the rotation of the minimap border (or North texture, which ever actually rotates) and rotate your compass graphic with it. It could be overlaid on top of the minimap (to hide it and take its place)...
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

08-08-12, 12:47 PM   #3
Rammoth
A Cliff Giant

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I couldn't find one for what I was looking for. I spent about an hour searching Google, and all the addon sites that I'm familiar with, with no luck.

I updated the main post with a screenshot and more information, to help explain what I'm looking for (or looking to make myself - if I can find out how).

Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
There are other types of compass addons around, but I don't think I have seen this style...

Should be possible. Turn on rotate minimap and track the rotation of the minimap border (or North texture, which ever actually rotates) and rotate your compass graphic with it. It could be overlaid on top of the minimap (to hide it and take its place)...
08-08-12, 01:03 PM   #4
Miiru
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

It most certainly is possible, Gatherer HUD uses a 'compass' that is pretty near to the Skyrim compass, but i don't think that there is actually an addon out there that does it.
08-08-12, 01:06 PM   #5
Vlad
A Molten Giant

I think you'd have to rewrite the minimap so much that it's just better to write a new addon and disable the minimap. Since the Skyrim compass shows only 1/4 of the compass and icons of things in front of you, meaning you don't need to make it too complex, only need formulas to calculate from coordinates what is in front of you and not so the icons can be properly show on a small frame.

The addon is mostly math if you ask me.
08-08-12, 01:19 PM   #6
Rammoth
A Cliff Giant

It sounds simple enough, but I'm so bad at math lol

I am hoping I can find someone that is willing to do this. The only thing I'm good at is graphic design lol

Originally Posted by Vladinator View Post
I think you'd have to rewrite the minimap so much that it's just better to write a new addon and disable the minimap. Since the Skyrim compass shows only 1/4 of the compass and icons of things in front of you, meaning you don't need to make it too complex, only need formulas to calculate from coordinates what is in front of you and not so the icons can be properly show on a small frame.

The addon is mostly math if you ask me.
08-08-12, 01:26 PM   #7
Rammoth
A Cliff Giant

I took a look at it, it's basic functionality is similar, but it doesn't look similar. It reminds me more of Diablo II's map.

That would be a neat map too though if it could be made. I probably should make a seperate forum post to request it though. That would be so neat. Anything but the standard minimap style, because those minimaps that we've used for so many years in just about every game, are so intrusive, they take up space that they shouldn't need to. It would be better to have a minimap like the Gatherer HUD, or a compass like the Skyrim Compass, or maybe even both at the same time - that would also be awesome!

Originally Posted by Miiru View Post
It most certainly is possible, Gatherer HUD uses a 'compass' that is pretty near to the Skyrim compass, but i don't think that there is actually an addon out there that does it.
08-08-12, 02:18 PM   #8
Coote
A Scalebane Royal Guard

You mean, like this? Or this?

"This is the fifteen-thousandth four hundredth and ninety-eighth occurence".
08-08-12, 02:22 PM   #9
Rammoth
A Cliff Giant

Those are similar in ways. But not as robust as what the compass in Skyrim does. I contacted the author of those mods, in hopes he'll want to work on it.

Originally Posted by TMcMahon51 View Post
You mean, like this? Or this?
08-08-12, 04:17 PM   #10
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Ah, okay. I thought you meant the other style of compass, since there are already addons that look like this.

Originally Posted by Rammoth View Post
when you move it will show icons on the compass to indicate locations that are normally shown on a map, without being as cluttering as a minimap.
It's this part that gets in the way. The reason why the other addons don't do this is because the UI limits access to the blips on the minimap.

Though I did remember about this though... http://www.wowinterface.com/download...130-radar.html It's old, but it miiiight work...
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

08-08-12, 04:22 PM   #11
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Ah, you'd need to update the blips texture though.

08-08-12, 04:40 PM   #12
SDPhantom
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I worked on a compass system for one of my personal HUD addons that functioned in the same way as the compass in Skyrim plus some additional features. One major problem I came across was the immense amount of CPU power it took to scan in and process every POI in the system. As prototype code, there were probably many areas to improve on it.

<< Image removed to conserve attachment space >>

Last edited by SDPhantom : 04-19-13 at 03:27 PM.
08-08-12, 04:51 PM   #13
Coote
A Scalebane Royal Guard

Wow, that's just freaking awesome.

"This is the fifteen-thousandth four hundredth and ninety-eighth occurence".
08-08-12, 06:35 PM   #14
Vlad
A Molten Giant

Like SDPhantom mentions, that's how you would have to write the "minimap", basically becoming a compass. So far I have no recollection of any addons that create a compass, only minimap reskins so the core system is still the same.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Request/Help