08-25-08, 07:14 PM   #1
VezRoth
A Murloc Raider
Laziness strikes!

I can't believe I ever managed to play without it, but is there any news on what's going on with Quest Helper?
08-25-08, 08:04 PM   #2
Vyper
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Yes! It is not dead! QuestHelper as we know it is not being developed but there is a follow up project being done by someone with MUCH more time then me . His first goal is to fix the long standing bugs that I just didn't have time for. When there is a release I will provide links on both the curse page and here. In the meantime, once some of the API which QH relies on stabilizes I'll provide a WoLK version. (It's started, but they keep reordering zones and changing names every patch, and a few new zones don't return correctly in the map functions)
08-26-08, 12:26 AM   #3
VezRoth
A Murloc Raider
Well! Heh, I'm just looking for a version that works for the Outlands quests, LOL! At the rate I'm leveling my DK right now I'd be 65 by now anyway! Heh, this is the first time I've made a Hordie so I don't know where Anything is. Driving me nuts.
08-26-08, 03:10 AM   #4
Mera
Retired of WoW, In ESO :)

Premium Member
Originally Posted by VezRoth View Post
Well! Heh, I'm just looking for a version that works for the Outlands quests, LOL! At the rate I'm leveling my DK right now I'd be 65 by now anyway! Heh, this is the first time I've made a Hordie so I don't know where Anything is. Driving me nuts.
Me I do without and fine even with a frFR client, here is what I do maybe it could help a few around here, build a macro

Code:
/script local index = GetQuestLogSelection();local link = GetQuestLink(index);local id = tonumber(link:match(":(%d+):"));SendChatMessage("http://wotlk.wowhead.com/?quest=" .. id, "WHISPER", nil, "<your nickname>");
just replace <your nickname> with your character name and then anytime you will highlight a quest in your quest log frame, hit the macro and you will whisper to yourself the wowhead link for an easy copy & paste. I used to do this to get the wowhead page that are not up yet for frFR and querying for the quest ID returns me the quest in English with maps, containers, loots etc anything I need to now about this quest, could be useful for English peoples but more for other language client that have no online DB to query quests for.
Mera[xeh]? - La CroisadeEcarlate (wow)
08-26-08, 02:06 PM   #5
VezRoth
A Murloc Raider
Thanks, Mera. I'll try it out and see if I can't get this **** to work whilst I wait.

Originally Posted by Mera_LaCroisadeEcarlate View Post
Me I do without and fine even with a frFR client, here is what I do maybe it could help a few around here, build a macro

Code:
/script local index = GetQuestLogSelection();local link = GetQuestLink(index);local id = tonumber(link:match(":(%d+):"));SendChatMessage("http://wotlk.wowhead.com/?quest=" .. id, "WHISPER", nil, "<your nickname>");
just replace <your nickname> with your character name and then anytime you will highlight a quest in your quest log frame, hit the macro and you will whisper to yourself the wowhead link for an easy copy & paste. I used to do this to get the wowhead page that are not up yet for frFR and querying for the quest ID returns me the quest in English with maps, containers, loots etc anything I need to now about this quest, could be useful for English peoples but more for other language client that have no online DB to query quests for.
08-26-08, 07:59 PM   #6
Vyper

Originally Posted by VezRoth View Post
Unfortunately when they rename/reorder things it prevents QH from running even in areas that have not changed, until the info is updated. Also all it would take to break it without proper transition info for all zones is having a single objective (or being in) a zone that it doesn't know how to enter/exit
08-26-08, 10:44 PM   #7
VezRoth
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Vyper View Post
Unfortunately when they rename/reorder things it prevents QH from running even in areas that have not changed, until the info is updated. Also all it would take to break it without proper transition info for all zones is having a single objective (or being in) a zone that it doesn't know how to enter/exit
*cry* Damnit.
08-26-08, 11:40 PM   #8
Vyper

One thing you can do... I believe (untested just going from memory here) if you add the line sanity=true right before the return in the zone sanity function in utility.lua (line 104) it will stop QH from killing itself when it detects it doesn't understand the zones. As long as you don't enter any of the new areas, It should function properly. It will NOT collect data from any of the new areas however (in fact upon entering them you will quite promptly get and exception and QH will exit), and what data it does collect in other areas may not be valid. Please DO NOT submit any data from a QH modified like this. (I don't believe it will cause problems but I don't want to find out).
Also in order to deal with the new fonting in WoLK, comment out line 215 in mapbutton.lua (just put a -- in front of the line)
Hopefully this helps... I take no responsibility for crashes caused however, so use at your own risk ;-)
08-27-08, 08:25 AM   #9
Vyper

Wait crap, I'm missing a step... also gotta keep astrolabe from going crazy. Or maybe their WoLK beta is finally stable. Try replacing the astrolabe folder with the WoLK beta version.
08-27-08, 11:57 AM   #10
VezRoth
A Murloc Raider
I'm going to cheat and just wait for it come out officially from whoever is deving it now. Heh. I'm not a programmer and I've got completely zero clue about what the hell half of what you said meant.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Laziness strikes!