08-13-05, 05:31 AM   #21
Marthisdil
An Onyxian Warder
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Dolby
Our decision was based upon survival and the need to keep doing what we love most. If you knew us from any of our other interface sites you would know we (including staff) love helping people and working on the websites. If you don’t know us I’m sure you’ll have trouble believing what I say and I doubt there’s anything I can say to change that.
Dolby,
I was an avid user of EQInterface while I played EQ. The concern we all have is that OGaming was an IGE front (and likely still is). IGE is spending a TON of money this year alone in purchasing websites.

And my question still stands (even if Cairenn can't answer it). How much of the money that XXXinterface.com received is going to the volunteers who helped run the site? To the mod/ui authors who MADE the sites what they are?

Or are you guys just gonna take the money and hold it, while the people who make your sites get nothing for their work you will have basically "exploited"?

Marth

08-13-05, 07:09 AM   #22
Inokis
EQInterface Staff

As a mod and an previous author at EQInterface, I don't expect anything, nor should anyone else. Whatever profits they make are their's. They created the sites for ppl to host mods, they run the sites forking out the dough to keep the servers up, and doing the work needed to keep the contracts up to date for their funding. Secondary staff and modding were voluntary acts (without pay, pro bono, etc...).

Last edited by Inokis : 08-13-05 at 07:11 AM.

08-13-05, 07:28 AM   #23
guice
A Cobalt Mageweaver
As a mod and an previous author at EQInterface, I don't expect anything, nor should anyone else. Whatever profits they make are their's. They created the sites for ppl to host mods, they run the sites forking out the dough to keep the servers up, and doing the work needed to keep the contracts up to date for their funding. Secondary staff and modding were voluntary acts (without pay, pro bono, etc...).
/agree and I'm speacking as a previous mod/author. I was old school back when EQInterface first started up. I was EQI's first mod.

08-13-05, 02:58 PM   #24
teddyboy420
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Originally Posted by Marthisdil
Dolby,
I was an avid user of EQInterface while I played EQ. The concern we all have is that OGaming was an IGE front (and likely still is). IGE is spending a TON of money this year alone in purchasing websites.

And my question still stands (even if Cairenn can't answer it). How much of the money that XXXinterface.com received is going to the volunteers who helped run the site? To the mod/ui authors who MADE the sites what they are?

Or are you guys just gonna take the money and hold it, while the people who make your sites get nothing for their work you will have basically "exploited"?
You're kidding right?

I really hope you are b/c what you are saying makes absolutley ZERO sense. OGaming didn't buy the work that is on the site, they bought the site itself which is just a database of user uploaded content for the public to use which is managed by a few people. Just b/c you may have uploaded work here dosen't entitle you to anything except the credit for the work that you have done, and the communities thanks for contributing.

No one has exploited anyone, or anything. And for you to even suggest this is simply ludicrous. Why would you think you are entitled to some of the money recieved to purchase the site? Dolby and Kudane built this site for the community and have NEVER asked for donations or really anything from the community. They self funded the site for awhile and then sold advertising space to keep things going. Now, they don't have to worry about advertising anymore as they are part of a large network.

I'm sorry but even the question of "how much are the mod authors who MADE the site what it is going to get" is just so fundamentally wrong it isn't even funny. Mod authors certainly have contributed to the site, but it is Dolby, Kudane, Cairenn and the other moderators that made the site what it is. Basically the ***Interface sites are a place for players of the game to come and get UI mods FREE OF CHARGE, that are made by mod authors and uploaded for people to download, not buy. If you want to sell your UI mods go somewhere else. You aren't entilted to any of the money, the owners of the site are.

I just can't even believe how selfish and wrong your comments are. Worrying about IGE's interferance is one thing, but you are suggesting that by uploading mods you somhow are entilted to a piece of the site. These sites are for a community of people, and always have been

08-13-05, 03:44 PM   #25
MadCow
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Originally Posted by teddyboy420
You're kidding right?

I really hope you are b/c what you are saying makes absolutley ZERO sense. OGaming didn't buy the work that is on the site, they bought the site itself which is just a database of user uploaded content for the public to use which is managed by a few people. Just b/c you may have uploaded work here dosen't entitle you to anything except the credit for the work that you have done, and the communities thanks for contributing.

No one has exploited anyone, or anything. And for you to even suggest this is simply ludicrous. Why would you think you are entitled to some of the money recieved to purchase the site? Dolby and Kudane built this site for the community and have NEVER asked for donations or really anything from the community. They self funded the site for awhile and then sold advertising space to keep things going. Now, they don't have to worry about advertising anymore as they are part of a large network.

I'm sorry but even the question of "how much are the mod authors who MADE the site what it is going to get" is just so fundamentally wrong it isn't even funny. Mod authors certainly have contributed to the site, but it is Dolby, Kudane, Cairenn and the other moderators that made the site what it is. Basically the ***Interface sites are a place for players of the game to come and get UI mods FREE OF CHARGE, that are made by mod authors and uploaded for people to download, not buy. If you want to sell your UI mods go somewhere else. You aren't entilted to any of the money, the owners of the site are.

I just can't even believe how selfish and wrong your comments are. Worrying about IGE's interferance is one thing, but you are suggesting that by uploading mods you somhow are entilted to a piece of the site. These sites are for a community of people, and always have been
QFT and well said!

08-13-05, 05:23 PM   #26
Remelio

Originally Posted by Marthisdil
We'll trade you free hosting for your UI mods for the past X amount of years. Fair? Oh and speaking as one of those volunteers, seeing a site grow and become a useful tool for the community is a lot of payment in itself.

I think others have said it better than I can, so thats the last I'm going to say on this subject. Please remember to keep the conversation civil everyone

Last edited by Remelio : 08-13-05 at 05:26 PM.

08-13-05, 07:30 PM   #27
Barbarian
A Defias Bandit
Originally Posted by Remelio
Basically Ogaming was founded with IGE money, but since then they have become their own company and don't have anything to do with IGE. All their funding and stuff comes from their own profits.
bull****. As the guy (yes, me) who created OGaming (back in 2000), there was no IGE when I created ogaming. Hell I created it because I just liked SubSpace (www.subspace.net, which I still own). OGaming was definitely *not* founded with IGE money. It was off of my own money. The only reason I ended up selling it was because I couldn't afford it anymore (after losing $50,000 it gets a bit not worth it).

In regards to IGE owning or not owning OGaming - I will leave that fun tidbit for you.

Tell JM I said hi, and remember its 'OGaming' not 'Ogaming'

08-13-05, 08:21 PM   #28
Sathanas
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Originally Posted by Kudane
Nothing on this site will ever "support" IGE or its buisness practices.

Thats a relief.

The day I see gold selling ads and nonsense on here is the day I pull my mods. I hope you guys stick to your guns on that, I like this site.

08-13-05, 08:37 PM   #29
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Barbarian - thank you

Sathanas - count on it.
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Avatar Image by RaffaeleMarinetti

08-13-05, 11:27 PM   #30
Remelio

Well like I said it was explained to me like it was explained to someone else like ... etc.. you get the picture... so there was a chance I got some of the details wrong, but I'm guessing that something happened with some ige money to bail out the network, and then they became a seperate entity afterwards. All I know is that I was assured that the site (being owned by OGaming now) doesn't have anything to do with IGE. (Or I'd not be here right now)

Also, I've always been bad with capitals, but I'll keep that in mind when I type it out in the future

08-14-05, 11:21 AM   #31
Barbarian
A Defias Bandit
Well like I said it was explained to me like it was explained to someone else like .
And that's the part that pisses me off. Who the hell is spreading such crap?

08-14-05, 11:31 AM   #32
guice
A Cobalt Mageweaver
Originally Posted by Barbarian
And that's the part that pisses me off. Who the hell is spreading such crap?
Originally Posted by Barbarian
In regards to IGE owning or not owning OGaming - I will leave that fun tidbit for you.
You left the Tidbit upto them, so they "filled in the blanks".

I an curious, however, about all that. You did not state that they did or did not own OGaming at any time. You just stated OGaming was not started by or on IGE funds.

*Edit:
Im going to throw in a quick edit here on a hypothesis on how this rumor could have gotten start:
IGE is a company based on marketing. It does nothing but bolster itself as "we're the best". My Assumption runs like so: Barbarian sold his site to IGE (he said he sold hs site, didn't say who, but IGE IS buying all the MMO sites; logical guess). IGE, being the pride based company they are, worked with it and then forked it off into a spereate company. IGE starts claiming they were the founded OGaming all long to boulster they own personal pride.
Again, I could be COMPLETELY wrong in all of this, but just an assumption on how a person could very easily get that rumor started and how "you fill in the banks" can quickly spread faulse information.

This assumption of mine is clued in by two factors:
One - Barbarian said he DID sell his site and his site was NOT founded by IGE
Two - Dobly & Kudane were told the site was branched off by IGE. I don't see the current owners of OGaming lieing to Dobly for the *Interface sales.

I put two and two together and came up with my hypothesis.

Last edited by guice : 08-14-05 at 12:58 PM.

08-15-05, 09:50 AM   #33
Kudane
Co-Founder

Well like I said it was explained to me like it was explained to someone else like ... etc.. you get the picture... so there was a chance I got some of the details wrong, but I'm guessing that something happened with some ige money to bail out the network, and then they became a seperate entity afterwards. All I know is that I was assured that the site (being owned by OGaming now) doesn't have anything to do with IGE. (Or I'd not be here right now)

Also, I've always been bad with capitals, but I'll keep that in mind when I type it out in the future
While IGE founded the Relaunch of OGaming, I have been told that when OGaming became an LLC (several months ago). That it is now standing on it's own legs. While I am not Nieve(sp) enough to assume that some of the profits don't get back to IGE. I can say that all of the meetings I have been in have been discussions on how to grow OGaming and become the premier content site, and none of it involved discussions on how to grow IGE.

So while some people will always assume OGaming and IGE are one and the same, others may start to see that OGaming is breaking out from under the shadow of IGE and is really standing on it's own.

At this point there is not much more any of us can say to convince the skeptics that we are telling the truth. So we will let actions speak for us. Watch over the next 6 months to a year, and you will see what we have been saying become more and more clear.

To that end I am locking this thread. I see no reason to continue to have back and forth debates over the same information. I will post a "return" to this topic in 6 months and people can say if they have seen good/bad/etc since this thread.

Please note: This topic is closed for discussion at this time, any new threads on this topic will be removed as we are working to look forward and make the site and the community stronger not debate what has already taken place. Sorry if this sounds "harsh" but we simply will not drag this out forever.

- Kudane

Last edited by Kudane : 08-15-05 at 04:48 PM.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » EQInterface/Ogaming Merger