11-26-06, 04:44 PM   #1
draxshar
A Murloc Raider

Titan vs. FuBar - Pros and Cons

This has probably been asked before, but which mod is "better" performance wise? I realize that "better" is a relative term and based on personal prefernce. I have been using Titan for over a year and seem to have some performance issues with it. Does FuBar use less resources than Titan? Is it worth changing over? Any and all imput on this is greatly appreciated.
11-26-06, 04:49 PM   #2
Syzgyn
An Aku'mai Servant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
If you use any Ace2 Addons at all, FuBar is going to be more efficient than Titan. I recently switched, and while I didn't notice a huge difference, (with 2GB or ram, I dont really care about my addon performance :P) It seems to be faster. Plus, Fubar is much easier to configure than titan. Biggest plus is being able to drag modules to move them on the bar, instead of having to go through all of them to get it in the right order.
11-26-06, 04:51 PM   #3
gariig
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
Titan is more common outside the realm of Ace2 addons. However, I have found way more "cool" FuBar addons then Titan (ManuFac, tcgTrade). Also, most of the Titan addons are usually ported over to FuBar
11-26-06, 04:53 PM   #4
tardmrr
Lua Ninja
From a pure feature standpoint, Fubar beats Titan in every way that I can think of. Theoretically, Fubar allows some things (such as LoD plugins) that will really save on performance, but it's always possible to write a really bad plugin. Anyway, from my point of view, it's worth making the switch even without ever going into the minefield that is a discussion on an addon's performance.
11-26-06, 04:56 PM   #5
SkOODaT
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

i found titan to have a huge memory problem a few months ago so i switched to fubar and it solved my issue

SkOO~
11-26-06, 05:26 PM   #6
Phunkmeist3r
A Kobold Labourer
As an ex-Titan user I can say that I am glad that I switched to FuBar. While I never really noticed a severe Performance hit, even though it does use more resources, FuBar simply has better customization, more robust plug-ins, and overall a more suitable product for future mod needs.

Every major Titan plug-in is ported to FuBar, plus many more additional mods that Titan simply does not have. This is the primary reason why I switched.
11-26-06, 06:46 PM   #7
Tekkub
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Syzgyn
with 2GB or ram, I dont really care about my addon performance :P
Memory size is immaterial to performance. You could use 10MiB of memory and cause a massive hiccup on every bag update (think hunters)... or you could use 50MiB of memory and never make a peep.

As for which is better, from a coder standpoint.... Titan's code makes me a sad panda.
11-27-06, 02:00 AM   #8
Evanion
A Defias Bandit

having used Titan panel and CT mod.....as well as a load of other addons. Ever since i started to use addons for well over a year ago. I recently Aced all my addons (swaped them for similar ace addons) i doubled my preformance ....from 30 FPS to 60 and using half the memory.

Since using alot of stand alone addons will force your game to upload alot of extra librarys that whit Ace it only will have to upload once.

Speaking of that....im against shipping Ace addons whit built in ace librarys....takes away the hole consept of Ace. -.-'
11-27-06, 02:08 AM   #9
Desmoras
A Murloc Raider

I've tried to find FuBar.. But im being too n00by and cannot seem to find it...

I've been using Titan, of which is OK, but i get a hell load of errors with HonorPlus and such, its time for a much needed change for me.

Des

Dark Iron Server
11-27-06, 02:25 AM   #10
Rigorous
Noggenfogger Anonymous

Fubar >>>>>>> Titan

And lotsa great modules
11-27-06, 03:48 AM   #11
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

I am a former Titan user (Titan Panel was the first AddOn I ever used) who switched to FuBar a few months ago. And I have not looked back. What got me interested initially was the ability to drag my plugs to wherever I wanted in the bar. Since the sheer number of plugins plus that fact that many AddOns now have FuBar plugins (MetaHUD, Grid, oRA2, Detox, etc.) plus the fact the FuBar is constantly supported and developed keep me hooked.
11-27-06, 03:50 AM   #12
Slayman
A Defias Bandit
In the earlier days FuBar used to be a SoaB, but then it left Beta and became Release.
Afterwards a load of Titan Plugins got moved over, and more and more FuBar Plugins popped up here.
In it's actual state Titan is inferior in any way. There is literally nothing Titan can do that FuBar can't, vice versa that statement is not to be made.
So what i tried to state here:
If u still use Titan instead of FuBar then u make a mistake.
11-27-06, 04:04 AM   #13
Desmoras
A Murloc Raider

Thanks Rigorous for the links.

Now trying out FuBar...

Des

Dark Iron Server
11-27-06, 06:48 AM   #14
simbul
A Kobold Labourer
Is the same thing to be said of the titan TBC version? Is it still as bad as it's 1.12 counterpart or will fubar work with TBC? Sorry not in the beta test so have NO idea
11-27-06, 07:21 AM   #15
Adrianne1979
A Kobold Labourer
I would like to use FuBar but...

...being as unadvanced at ui's as I am, I can't get past an issue I have when I try to swtich from Titan to FuBar.

I have dl'd Fubar a few times and when I get in game with it on, My UI gets all screwy. The party members frames all move to the bottom of the screen where I can't see them. I spent a couple hours actually trying to figure out how to move the player frames back up to where they should be and couldnt figure it out! Did anyone else have this issue?

It's probably a simple fix, but for someone as unadvanced at tinking with thegame as I am, it's a toughy. If I could get FuBar to work without screwing with my UI frames then I would LOVE to switch over from Titan.

Help a girl out?

Adrianne
11-27-06, 10:55 AM   #16
Lombra
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Evanion
Speaking of that....im against shipping Ace addons whit built in ace librarys....takes away the hole consept of Ace. -.-'
Ehm.. how can one tell if it does that? ^_^
11-27-06, 11:14 AM   #17
Barras
A Fallenroot Satyr
Half the point of Ace2 is that libraries CAN be embedded in the addons. And it doesn't take away the concept at all, only one instance of each library exists even when multiple addons are using embeds, the excess is removed on the first garbage collection process. The concept of Ace2 is that libraries can be embedded, removing the dependency on an external Ace addon.

You might be against it, but the Ace2 devs designed it that way and do it with all their addons... so... I think I'll side with them on how their addons should work.
11-27-06, 11:14 AM   #18
Jayhawk
Premium Member

I stared out with Titan, then found it getting...cumbersome. I made the switch to FuBar, and while I had some issues (pre-FuBar 2.0) I enjoy FuBar. I like the way you can drag around modules, and how you can shift them to your minimap.
11-27-06, 04:36 PM   #19
Tekkub
A Molten Giant

You can manually remove the embeds, install all the standalone libraries, and you're back to the same design Ace1 used. That's the beauty of the embed design, it lets us remove the dependencies that you all think are so horrible, but it doesn't restrict us to that new design.

I personally don't ever use the embeds in my own installs, I don't mind updating standalones... I much prefer it in fact.
11-27-06, 05:08 PM   #20
Fyredrake
A Defias Bandit

I've used Titan on live for over 1 1/2 years. It was the best thing since sliced bread! But...when mods started going live for TBC, Titan wasn't an option, so I picked up FuBar as my bar mod. Needless to say, Titan will be removed when TBC goes live and FuBar will take it's place. FuBar is IMHO superior to Titan as far as ease of use and memory allocation. It's like losing an old friend, but it has to be done.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Titan vs. FuBar - Pros and Cons