03-13-09, 10:38 AM   #1
Tybran
A Defias Bandit
Minimizable Area for Addons

I recently thought up an Idea, one of which I have no idea if it's been done already or if it's even feasable with current in-game code, for a small minimizable area to put non-essential addons.

For simplicities sake, imagine a square with a dark-grey 100% opacity background that fills up the bottom-right 1/4 of your screen. With a keybinding press, this square "minimizes" aka, slides down to the bottom-right corner out of view. And on another buttonpress pops back up. This grey area can be used to place non-essential addons like pallypower, recount, actionbars not needed in combat, maps - Whatever addon you don't need to look at 100% of the time. Whether it slides smoothly or appears/disappears is irrelivant. It could even go 0% opacity and have click-through ability with a button press.

Is this something that is currently feasable in any framework? If it is, I'd be excited to get to know more about it, and maybe tinkering with it myself. But if a more experianced addon-author is interested in trying this out. I know a lot of people might make use of it, just for simplifying and cleaning up a UI. It would make particular addons like viewport not needed.
03-13-09, 12:03 PM   #2
Gimbli
Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Dock - http://www.wowace.com/projects/project-5416/

Currently it's listed as inactive (hasn't been updated in 6 months or longer), but comments on Curse say it still works. Does a lot of what you're describing.
03-13-09, 12:10 PM   #3
Tybran
A Defias Bandit
You are a gentleman and a scholar.

Thank you for directing me to this.
03-13-09, 12:47 PM   #4
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
I use Dash: http://www.wowinterface.com/download...7391-Dash.html to keep things out of the way. It's like a separate, hideable layer to put things on, like the dashboard on a Mac.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

03-13-09, 02:24 PM   #5
jadakren
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
like the dashboard on a Mac.
Or like the widget layer on linux using compiz.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Minimizable Area for Addons