06-12-08, 07:44 AM   #1
Bachowny
A Defias Bandit
Question 'Advanced' newbie questions - graph?

Hi all,

I have some questions about things I haven't been able to work out from the various sources (WoWWiki, Blizzard's code, this forum).

1 - Is there any sort of graphical element available either as a library or in the standard widgets? I just want to do some lines and boxes. Failing that, some sort of graphing or charting library?

2 - Can I dynamically build an interface (to make a graph out of progress bars LOL)? I've tried using CreateFrame during OnLoad but had no luck so far.

3 - How do I get it to reference one LUA file from another? I'm a noob with Lua so I haven't quite got the hang of . versus : yet, but neither seem to want to play if a function is in another file, even though I've seen it done elsewhere (e.g. LightHeaded:Stuff).

4 - Can anyone point an old C++ programmer in the direction of a tutorial to get my head around this crazy (ordered set based? did i guess right?) language?

Apologies if this is already covered elsewhere, but you know what it's like searching a forum with no lingo. On the bright side, my tiny DPS meter already works without answers to these questions.
06-12-08, 07:58 AM   #2
Dreadlorde
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I can answer #4. I would suggest entering the raffle for the book World of Warcraft Programming, or just buying it. It's a great place to start, and it has a complete API reference with examples.

Hope that helps.

Funtoo - Plan 9 - Windows 7
06-12-08, 08:08 AM   #3
Kaomie
A Scalebane Royal Guard

Originally Posted by Bachowny View Post
..., some sort of graphing or charting library?
If you are willing to dig into Ace (might not be the easiest way to start learning about WoW LUA), you could make use of LibGraph-2.0.
It is used among others in Recount, which is a good example for dynamic graphs.

Last edited by Kaomie : 06-12-08 at 08:12 AM.
06-12-08, 08:14 AM   #4
Slakah
A Molten Giant

If you are willing to dig into Ace (might not be the easiest way to start learning about WoW LUA), you could make use of LibGraph-2.0.
It uses LibStub so you don't have to use any AceLibrarys for it to work.
06-12-08, 08:18 AM   #5
Bachowny
A Defias Bandit
Thanks for the fast replies

Thanks for the fast replies. I'll look into that library, although I've never hooked one up before so...

Cyas.
06-12-08, 08:24 AM   #6
Kaomie
A Scalebane Royal Guard

Originally Posted by Slakah View Post
It uses LibStub so you don't have to use any AceLibrarys for it to work.
Maybe but all examples using it probably will, so you may have to look around a little more than just the library to understand what is going on. If you have a better example please feel free to share.
06-12-08, 08:39 AM   #7
Slakah
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Kaomie View Post
Maybe but all examples using it probably will, so you may have to look around a little more than just the library to understand what is going on. If you have a better example please feel free to share.
Ahh I thought you were suggesting that to use LibGraph-2.0 that you have to use Ace, sorry about the miss understanding. tbh there isn't that much difference in a stand-alone mod and an Ace addon, appart from the option tables.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » 'Advanced' newbie questions - graph?