05-05-09, 01:29 AM   #1
raamoz
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Looking for inspiration for a new UI.

'Lo, I'm trying to come up with a new concept for my main's new UI.

My UI style is very minimalistic and I don't have any of my action bars shown, so basically I want help with the positioning, and looks of my unit frames and minimap.

So here goes, waiting for some good ideas !

(This seemed like the right forum to post this)
05-05-09, 03:05 AM   #2
disiz
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Check this thread: http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...077#post133077
05-05-09, 03:46 AM   #3
raamoz
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Been through like 30+ pages there already.
05-05-09, 10:58 AM   #4
PerfectH
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Well, if you like minimalist UI's but don't know where to start, just go here:

Minimalistic Compilations
http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/cat106.html

These are a bunch of user submitted UI compilations, but are all in the minimalistic category (what gave that away? ). I'd recommend flipping through these, downloading 1 or 2 that you find interesting, then just work off of those by modifying and manipulating it until it's the way you like.

This is a good way to see exactly what AddOns minimalistic users use and how they set up their UI's.
05-05-09, 11:39 AM   #5
raamoz
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by PerfectH View Post
Well, if you like minimalist UI's but don't know where to start, just go here:

Minimalistic Compilations
http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/cat106.html

These are a bunch of user submitted UI compilations, but are all in the minimalistic category (what gave that away? ). I'd recommend flipping through these, downloading 1 or 2 that you find interesting, then just work off of those by modifying and manipulating it until it's the way you like.

This is a good way to see exactly what AddOns minimalistic users use and how they set up their UI's.
I know all of this, been using minimalistic UI's since mid TBC days (been modding interfaces since vanilla) but I really can't get any ideas from any of the ones I've seen. That's why I decided to ask personally.
05-05-09, 11:58 AM   #6
PerfectH
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Um...

Well not to be rude or anything, but if you knew all that already then why would you ask for ideas for concepts at all?

Unless some one can recommend a better procedure to come up with inspirational ideas for a UI than what I just recommended, then I'm at a loss for helping you.

Sorry, I don't mean for that to sound rude, but just seems like you know enough to help yourself, that's all.
05-05-09, 11:58 AM   #7
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

I just visit sites for other games and see if something grabs my attention. Particularly if the game allows for modding.

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor
05-05-09, 02:03 PM   #8
raamoz
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by PerfectH View Post
Um...

Well not to be rude or anything, but if you knew all that already then why would you ask for ideas for concepts at all?

Unless some one can recommend a better procedure to come up with inspirational ideas for a UI than what I just recommended, then I'm at a loss for helping you.

Sorry, I don't mean for that to sound rude, but just seems like you know enough to help yourself, that's all.
Nothing really rude about what you're saying. I kinda just want suggestions from others to get started. So anything like sketches or whatever is welcome!
I'm really out of ideas atm. (been talking to alot of people I know too)
05-05-09, 03:12 PM   #9
jasje
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

just grab the addons u want in your interface put the UF where u want them and build around them? how about that for an id

Tukui | Github
05-05-09, 11:59 PM   #10
raamoz
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Mrgl boring answers..
05-06-09, 12:33 AM   #11
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Pushing the button brings the results you may be looking for .
05-06-09, 02:05 AM   #12
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

The biggest issue here is the people who are always thinking about new ui's that might give you something your looking for are far more likely to create them themselves. I certainly fall in this category.

I go through the same thing from time to time and the suggestions above from many of the posters are what i do when im not finding my own inspiration. I started making ui's in a flurry when i began on this road. In the first month i made roughly 20 mock ups. Im down to making a new one to experiment with about once every 2-3 weeks now if its even that often.

Considering how long this thread has been up i think its safe to say you aren't likely to get the answers your looking for any time soon. Best thing to do is just experiment. One site you might not have looked at for inspiration is worldofmodcraft.com. I dig through there fairly frequently for ideas and art. Ive taken quite a few designs from there and modified them for my own purposes and whims.

You might even try branching out a little bit. You say you prefer making minimalistic UI's. Go the opposite direction and make a graphical interface. Even go as far as trying to use art in your UI but keeping it ultra minimal for a challenge. Never hurts to try something new.

This may not be the answer your after but its the best advice i can offer.

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor
05-06-09, 06:04 AM   #13
raamoz
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by MidgetMage55 View Post
The biggest issue here is the people who are always thinking about new ui's that might give you something your looking for are far more likely to create them themselves. I certainly fall in this category.

I go through the same thing from time to time and the suggestions above from many of the posters are what i do when im not finding my own inspiration. I started making ui's in a flurry when i began on this road. In the first month i made roughly 20 mock ups. Im down to making a new one to experiment with about once every 2-3 weeks now if its even that often.

Considering how long this thread has been up i think its safe to say you aren't likely to get the answers your looking for any time soon. Best thing to do is just experiment. One site you might not have looked at for inspiration is worldofmodcraft.com. I dig through there fairly frequently for ideas and art. Ive taken quite a few designs from there and modified them for my own purposes and whims.

You might even try branching out a little bit. You say you prefer making minimalistic UI's. Go the opposite direction and make a graphical interface. Even go as far as trying to use art in your UI but keeping it ultra minimal for a challenge. Never hurts to try something new.

This may not be the answer your after but its the best advice i can offer.
I think I have an idea, thinking of something minimalistic with a bit art. Some kind of mix between modern and retro art.
Thanks for the answers btw.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Looking for inspiration for a new UI.