07-20-17, 06:40 PM   #1
loff93
A Fallenroot Satyr
Editor, LUA

Hey everyone!

Made a few simple addons to learn LUA & WoW APIs better. Before I start my new project which will be a lot bigger than earlier projects, I want to find a decent editor. Mostly for scripting but if it has features for UI that would be handy.
Currently I'm using Visual studio with no syntax errors and I have to save & reload ingame to test if it works. Not an ideal situation.

What editors do you recommend and does it need plugins to work well?

NB!
Found tons of stuff here but no idea if they are outdated:
http://et.worldofwarcraft.wikia.com/wiki/Lua_editors
WoW UI Designer for example looked decent but might be outdated?

- Loff
07-20-17, 07:18 PM   #2
briskman3000
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I personally just use Notepad++ and sometimes I edit directly in GitHub.

There was some progress on updating Sublime over in this thread http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=55457 to build all of the functions in it for syntax and such, not sure if they ever finished all of the functions though.
07-20-17, 07:44 PM   #3
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I also use Notepad++. Works pretty much out of the box, but, to do Lua you should really go through the options.

You will have to save and /reload UI in-game regardless of what you use to write Lua, IF you make changes to the .lua file while in-game. That's just the way the game is.

Lua is a Portuguese word that means moon, it's NOT an acronym in any way, shape or form.

Carbonite <----- GitHub main module (Maps ONLY) download link. The other modules are also available on GitHub.
Carbonite-CLASSIC<----- GitHub link to Carbonite Classic. Thanks to ircdirk for this!

Last edited by jeffy162 : 07-20-17 at 07:56 PM. Reason: more blah blah blah.
07-20-17, 08:24 PM   #4
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Moved thread to the correct forum.

I also use Notepad++. There are some other editors here: http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=43699 You'll have to see if they've been kept up-to-date.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

07-20-17, 08:45 PM   #5
Kkthnx
A Cobalt Mageweaver

I used to use Notepad++ then I switched.

Now I switch between Visual Studio Code and Atom

There is also Sublime Text

I would try them all and mess with all their features and plugins and see what one suits you best! Good luck
07-20-17, 09:30 PM   #6
loff93
A Fallenroot Satyr

Thanks for all the suggestions and for moving the thread!
07-22-17, 01:09 AM   #7
VincentSDSH
Non-Canadian Luzer!

I use UltraEdit. I've tried others but I always come back to UE.
08-08-17, 11:01 AM   #8
guema
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Visual Studio Code is really good. Under MIT Licence and multi-platform, this is a real rupture in Microsoft past habits.

I love integrated Git and easy extensions install/creation etc...
The interface is clean, intuitive, and well designed.

Thanks to "Septh" and his/her awesome wow lua extension. It is really useful, and make me win a lot of time.

Last edited by guema : 08-08-17 at 11:05 AM.
08-12-17, 05:59 PM   #9
Rainrider
A Firelord
Originally Posted by guema View Post
Thanks to "Septh" and his/her awesome wow lua extension. It is really useful, and make me win a lot of time.
What do you find awesome in Septh's extension actually? How does it safe time? It is basically just some additional coloring for wow stuff and that's all. Or am I missing something?

I use VS code too btw (with default Lua and an extension for luacheck for linting). AFAIK Sublime has the best support for the WoW API thanks to a package Reslike is currently working on (search the forums here for the thread), but I haven't tried that out yet.
08-24-17, 12:35 PM   #10
Resike
A Pyroguard Emberseer
Originally Posted by Rainrider View Post
What do you find awesome in Septh's extension actually? How does it safe time? It is basically just some additional coloring for wow stuff and that's all. Or am I missing something?

I use VS code too btw (with default Lua and an extension for luacheck for linting). AFAIK Sublime has the best support for the WoW API thanks to a package Reslike is currently working on (search the forums here for the thread), but I haven't tried that out yet.
Staph calling me Reslike!
08-24-17, 12:19 AM   #11
Mayron
A Frostmaul Preserver

I use Visual Studio Code as you can integrate a source control such as Git, or Subversion, and can easily upload code. I also use a bunch of plugins. I still always use Notepad++ now and again. I used to use IntelliJ but Visual Studio Code is far more lightweight. I prefer the settings for altering Lua formatting colours in IntelliJ though... It definitely was a smarter IDE.
08-26-17, 06:00 PM   #12
Rainrider
A Firelord
Omg sorry. it wasn't on purpose

Stiil, you should like being resurrected
08-27-17, 03:32 AM   #13
Resike
A Pyroguard Emberseer
Originally Posted by Rainrider View Post
Omg sorry. it wasn't on purpose

Stiil, you should like being resurrected
It's okay , yes please channel all your resurrect spells on me! Feel free to try out the package tho, since i need more testers/feedback.

Last edited by Resike : 08-27-17 at 03:35 AM.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » Editor, LUA