03-27-15, 03:38 AM   #21
Tonyleila
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by SDPhantom View Post
It's always going to be a hot debate, but the more things you do at once, the more RAM you need.
Especially if you play one of this Browser Games called WoW Garrison Missions on one of the screens
03-27-15, 11:26 AM   #22
SDPhantom
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Tonyleila View Post
Especially if you play one of this Browser Games called WoW Garrison Missions on one of the screens
They seriously need to add that to the WoW Armory app. I've been saying that since beta.

On another note, I have been known to have many tabs in Firefox and a dozen SciTE windows and/or tabs open while running WoW when working on addons. If I need to tweak textures that I've created, I have a few GIMP windows open.

I've also rarely run multiple instances of a game or multiple games, but it happens. Usually when my GF needs help with something and it requires actions more complex than I'm willing to do just by VNCing into her system.

Back to topic, I'm going to start locking in parts of the spec, work on cost analysis, and start planning on how I'm going to obtain the pieces to this behemoth. For starters, I'll go with the Intel solution and lock in a Corsair Dominator® Platinum Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15 Memory Kit (I'll grab another at a later date to make the full 64GB). I'm also going to go with the Corsair Hydro Series™ H110i GT AIO liquid CPU cooler and the Cooler Master Cosmos SE case. I cringe at their idea to block a third of the top front intake fan with a useless cover to a non-existant drive bay.

I'd like to go with the Noctua fans, but they don't offer a combination of both pressure and airflow fans in any one size category unless I'd be willing to mix in with the Redux line.

I'm also looking at the possibility of adding a Corsair Commander Mini for all the Corsair Link components if needed.

Last edited by SDPhantom : 03-27-15 at 11:50 AM.
03-27-15, 12:23 PM   #23
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Tonyleila View Post
Disagree yes sorry

Have you ever worked on 36 megapixel psd file with layers? Photoshop CC is only using 325mb with no file opend in it. As soon as I open a 1,3gb PSD file its using 12gb.

Shure you woud have to use glue for it
I'm a retired graphic artist/web host, and the majority of my clients were graphic artists with commercial sites... so to answer your question... of course.

16GB should be plenty for what the OP needs.

Last edited by Petrah : 03-27-15 at 12:26 PM.
03-27-15, 01:01 PM   #24
SDPhantom
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Editing a single image with Photoshop doesn't require near as much memory as editing a video with Premiere. As Riske posted earlier and with my observation of the same graph long before that, 4K rendering tops off around 24GB.

As recorded by Edzel of LinusTechTips.
03-28-15, 03:41 AM   #25
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

4GB is needed, and 8GB is recommended by the software developers. https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro...uirements.html

16GB is way more than recommended and will work just fine. If you want it done now now now now now, then sure get more ram.

Last edited by Petrah : 03-28-15 at 03:44 AM.
03-28-15, 06:06 AM   #26
Dridzt
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I have 32gb and I'm feeling constricted (will upgrade to 64 soonish).

What with running heavy development IDEs and the occasional Virtual Machines (doing hadoop / big data work these days) RAM is in high demand.
I get what everyone is saying about gaming but if you can get 64 get them, it just means you'll have uniformity instead of hunting down sticks with the exact timings 2 years down the road and your composition will live longer...

It's just like having a higher ceiling in your house; sure it works fine when it's just high enough to not bump your head but think of all the nice chandeliers you can hang with a bit more vertical space
03-28-15, 06:30 AM   #27
Tonyleila
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Petrah View Post
4GB is needed, and 8GB is recommended by the software developers. https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro...uirements.html
16GB is way more than recommended and will work just fine. If you want it done now now now now now, then sure get more ram.
Same if they say a 1024x768 display is needed and 1280x800 is recommended for Photoshop CC. Of course a 4k screen is better but noone realy needs a 4k screen.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Tech Chat » I dream of a new computer