Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
08-07-07, 02:24 PM   #1
Beladona
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Blizzcon 2007 Wrapup

Many of us from the UI Community went to this year's Blizzcon. I can't remember the last time I had that much fun, and it was absolutely wonderful to meet many of the people I have gotten to know through the years in IRC and in the forums. As you can imagine, there was a lot of information given to us during the panels and various activities at Blizzcon. The following is a schedule of the activities we participates in or took notes on while at the 'con. Click on a heading to visit a specific entry , or click here to read the entire report from Blizzcon.

I kept this thread focused mostly on Blizzcon and what was said during the panels and various announcements. Cairenn has a thread dedicated more to the personal side of the trip focused more on what we did as a group and how much fun we had. I encourage you to read her thread here as well. While I enjoyed Blizzcon greatly, I don't think it would have been nearly as enjoyable without all of the people that shared the time with us.

Day 1 (August 3rd)
  • Opening Ceremony: The president and co-founder of Blizzard spoke to us about the success of Blizzcon and World of Warcraft. As expected he also announced the next expansion to Word of Warcraft, known as Wrath of the Lich King. This announcement met with huge applause and included a intro video and brief footage of the expansion.
  • World of Warcraft Panel: The primary focus of the discussion was on what the designers intended for World of Warcraft and where it was headed with the next expansion. More details were provided on what we can expect to see in Wrath of the Lich King.
  • WoW Class Discussion Panel: Challenges of balancing classes in both PVE and PVP as well as a rundown of what each class is meant to be in World of Warcraft. We also discussed the Death Knight and Hero Classes will mean for us.
  • WoW Dungeons & Raids Panel: We discussed the focus of development when creating new dungeons and raids, what progression means to these parts of the game, and what we can expect to see in the upcoming expansion.
  • WoW UI & Mods Panel: They went over the basics of creating an add-on, as well as what we can expect to see in the default UI. They unveiled the new Frame Inspector now available on the official website, as well as the new Combat Log and various other features associated with it.

Day 2 (August 4th)
  • WoW Professions & Items Panel: They talked professions, the focus of each, and how they are designed to support each other in some cases. They also discussed how items are designed and how itemization works in World of Warcraft.
  • Legendary Pictures (Warcraft Movie): They discussed the early ideas on what the film would be, and what time period it would be set in. They are very early in production so very little details could be given other than that it will be live action and that we can expect to see some familiar names in it.
  • World of Warcraft PVP: Discussed early PVP and how it has grown to what you see now. Also discussed the challenges of balancing and keeping content interesting to players, as well as what we can expect to see from the expansion in terms of PVP content.
  • WoW Lore & Quests Panel: Very interesting discussion on what we will see in terms of lore in the expansion. Some basic information was covered on what lore means to the quests and stories you encounter in the game, but the major focus was on the storyline present in Wrath of the Lich King. This was one of the more interesting Panels in my opinion.
  • Arena Concert: We listened to famous comedian Jay Mohr, as well as music from 'Games Live' and 'Level 70 Elite Tauren Chieftain'. We had a lot of fun at this event and I was very glad we were able to go. Games Live said that of all the music they perform they get the most applause when the Blizzard logo is displayed for the first time on the big screens.

Last edited by Beladona : 08-12-07 at 03:39 PM.

WoWInterface » Site Forums » News » Blizzcon 2007 Wrapup