01-09-11, 06:10 PM   #1
robodude666
A Cyclonian

Testing addons that rely on inter-addon communication

Hey guys,

I'm in the middle of working on a couple addons that require chat channel monitor and inter-addon communication via the SendAddonMessage functionality. The addon will communicate with other users of this addon and share information, etc. Nothing new really, as this type of communication is already being done by dozens of other addons.

What I'm wondering is.. How does one test such an addon without other people using it? I'm confident that once data parsing works, it it will work just as well with other people. I've done Lua development before, and made addons for private use, but never have I used chat channels or the SendAddonMessage functionality so I'm new to these areas.

Cheers,
-robodude666
01-09-11, 07:01 PM   #2
Saiket
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
For simple cases, you could have your addon communicate with itself. If you already perform checks to ignore what you send out, you could temporarily trick your mod into thinking your name is something else. Say your character's name is really "Character" and your mod saves this name when it first starts. When testing, replace the saved real name with "TEST" or some other impossible name. Once that's done, any communication you send will look like it came from some other character named "Character" and your mod should accept it.

If your mod does anything too complex for this though, pressuring guild-mates is probably the only other way to test.
01-10-11, 03:03 AM   #3
Duugu
Premium Member

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I'm using my second account.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » Testing addons that rely on inter-addon communication