10-26-08, 11:55 PM   #1
DoctorColin
A Murloc Raider
Reinstalling windows...

and i would like to save my addon preferences. However i dont want to save the actual addon folder, because its messy, and full of old addons.

Can i just copy my wtf folder over into a fresh OS/WoW and all my settings be saved, or should i save some other folders/files too?
10-27-08, 12:13 AM   #2
mankeluvsit
An Onyxian Warder

if u just want the setting just copy the WTF folder, but u will need to reinstall the addons
10-27-08, 12:17 AM   #3
DoctorColin
A Murloc Raider
ok thanks.

im perfectly happy with reinstalling my addons, its just that i dont want to spend the 5+ hours getting my ui just right. Plus i have this strange fear that if i login with an addon disabled or not in the addon folder my setting for it will be lost.

anyways thanks for the help.
10-27-08, 01:07 AM   #4
tintingurl
A Frostmaul Preserver

Originally Posted by DoctorColin View Post
ok thanks.

im perfectly happy with reinstalling my addons, its just that i dont want to spend the 5+ hours getting my ui just right. Plus i have this strange fear that if i login with an addon disabled or not in the addon folder my setting for it will be lost.

anyways thanks for the help.
you can save both WTF folder and your interface or addons folder also. if i ever need to redo my computer i always have mine saved on a stick.
10-27-08, 01:40 AM   #5
kinkyafro
An Aku'mai Servant
The WTF folder will also be full of old addon settings.. a manual cleanup doesn't take too long
10-27-08, 01:59 AM   #6
DoctorColin
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by kinkyafro View Post
The WTF folder will also be full of old addon settings.. a manual cleanup doesn't take too long
To do that i would just go in and delete for example xperl.lua and xperl.lua.bak, in the saved variable folder, and then all my xperl settings would be gone right?

Or if i wanted to start from scratch, save pitbull, i could just copy pitbull.lau into a fresh wtf folder, and everything would work?
10-27-08, 02:53 AM   #7
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by DoctorColin View Post
To do that i would just go in and delete for example xperl.lua and xperl.lua.bak, in the saved variable folder, and then all my xperl settings would be gone right?

Or if i wanted to start from scratch, save pitbull, i could just copy pitbull.lau into a fresh wtf folder, and everything would work?
Yes, if you want to start from scratch but keep some of your AddOns settings (such as Pitbull layouts), then just save that Addons saved variable file (AddOn.lua). In the case of Pitbull, that would be Pitbull.lua. You don't need the .bak files, they are archive files incase something happens to the original file, the AddOn will restore from the archive. You can paste Pitbull.lua (and others into a fresh WTF folder.

A couple of things. Settings that are on a per account basis are stored in the main SavedVariables folder. Many settings that are on a per Character basis are in your Character's Saved Variables folder.
10-27-08, 03:08 AM   #8
DoctorColin
A Murloc Raider
ok, thanks alot guys.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Reinstalling windows...