06-08-07, 07:25 AM   #1
Zorlac
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

WoW's Boot Time

I have been playing WoW for about 2 months now, and ever since the first install it takes about a good 5 minutes for the game to boot.
I have a very powerful PC, yet it takes a long time for this game to boot to the menu...

Anyone else have this problem??
06-08-07, 09:20 AM   #2
ReverendD
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I have noticed with the recent patches the load time has increased for me a bit as well, but I am talking a couple seconds.

My main question is, what menu are you talking about? You mean to enter your pass, the character selection screen, or into game?
06-08-07, 09:48 AM   #3
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Ever since BC came out mine seems to take forever to get to the login screen (name/pw)... Even if using the Launcher - the Launcher pops up right away, but for the game itself to boot up it sometimes takes a good minute + ...

edit: could part of that be because of it seeing which addons I'm running? I have been running more since BC came out. Though I know the actual addons don't load anything into memory until loading into the game...
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

06-08-07, 11:46 AM   #4
Quagnome
An Aku'mai Servant
how do you guys put you stats up like that? It's really cool
06-08-07, 12:58 PM   #5
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
click my sig and you shall see
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

06-08-07, 02:39 PM   #6
Dreadlorde
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I have 256mb of RAM, with 23 (discord unit frames too) and it only takes 15 - 20 seconds for the login screen to pop up.

Funtoo - Plan 9 - Windows 7
06-08-07, 03:16 PM   #7
seyek
A Murloc Raider
I'm having the same issue. From the time I run the .exe to the time it actually shows the login screen seems extremely long.
06-08-07, 03:31 PM   #8
jonathon
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Thumbs down me too

I'm on a mac and ever since 2.1 my time from clicking on the wow icon to seeing the login screen can sometimes take a solid minute.

anyone have any ideas?
06-08-07, 04:03 PM   #9
Zorlac
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Lets put it this way, im running a P43.6ghz, 2gig RAM, and an ATI9800 256meg GFX card... so its not a hardware issue... (i play on a lap top BTW)...

so could there be something else?
06-08-07, 04:11 PM   #10
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
I'm gonna defrag tonight, so let's see if that helps... I believe it may help the lag in my system when I alt-tab out...

06-08-07, 04:31 PM   #11
Gemini_II
A Molten Giant

Blizz more or less confirmed that since 2.1 everyone has had considerable lag. I haven't had the login screen delay any more than usual but my rig is not bleeding edge. FPS has been worse since TBC, and horrible since 2.1 though.

06-08-07, 04:52 PM   #12
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Thanks, Gemini - that post also said that some fps issues will get fixed any day now as well.

06-09-07, 06:05 PM   #13
Zorlac
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

i haven't had any lag... my latency is still under 100ms... its not the best buts its not the worst...
I am just sick of waiting 3-5 minutes to get to the log in screen...
06-09-07, 07:43 PM   #14
Dreadlorde
A Pyroguard Emberseer

do you guys and seerah have a lot of programs running when you boot WoW? stuff that just hides itself in the task bar(windows) or you forget about in the dock (mac)? That might make it load slower.

06-10-07, 06:24 PM   #15
Zorlac
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

other than my firewall, and anti virus i don't have much... even if i did, it wouldn't eat up enough resources to make the boot time that slow.

Rainbow Six lockdown boots in seconds and its a way bigger resource hog than WoW...
and once WoW is going, i can minimize it and its all good...

The only thing I can really think of is that maybe the 3D acceleration is taking time to initialize... but even that...

Im just confused and its a minor thing, im just impatient
06-10-07, 06:41 PM   #16
Dreadlorde
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I got rid of my firewall and now wow runs a lot better.

06-12-07, 03:47 PM   #17
Zorlac
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

i am not willing to part ways with my firewall... too much valuable info on my system...
06-12-07, 04:07 PM   #18
flaska
A Theradrim Guardian
AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Zorlac, is your wow installed on the same drive as windows? If not, that may be the problem. My wow loaded double as fast when I moved wow to C:\
06-12-07, 04:29 PM   #19
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
My WoW is stored on C:, but I did a defrag and it seems to be loading faster now... Alt tabs and getting control of my computer back after exiting WoW are still patience trying due to all the data churn, but at least that's one issue taken care of.

06-12-07, 09:34 PM   #20
Xanithon
A Cobalt Mageweaver

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Hey.. The 1 minute + loading time is just the right time to go get yourself a nice drink / food.

I'm going to de-frag my computer soon.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » WoW's Boot Time