12-26-05, 08:52 AM   #41
Kaelten
Jack's raging bile duct

Featured
actually the wow option of 'Maximized' hides the task bar for me no problem.

Anyone that needs what they want
And doesn't want what they need
I want nothing to do with
12-26-05, 11:40 AM   #42
mrbrdo
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Yes, however that does not mean games usually do that. I have never seen a game with full-screen windowed mode myself, TBH.
12-26-05, 12:27 PM   #43
Kaelten
Jack's raging bile duct

Featured
ya the feature started out as a mod, but then blizzard made it part of the game.

Anyone that needs what they want
And doesn't want what they need
I want nothing to do with
12-30-05, 08:51 AM   #44
CmdKewin
A Defias Bandit
Well, i've come up with a solution for "browsing" Thottbot without using any "memory" exploits.

Anyone noticed the LoggingChat(); function in the WOW Api?
What i basically do is activate this function, write a message to the default channel and then parse the log with an external program which then retreives the requested search from thottbot.
Now, the only thing it can do is get you the map pointing to that particular mob. (http://www.thottbot.com/?m=87288&s=b like this one). I save the jpg image and then load it back in the client (using know methods).
I don't have nor time nor the will to expand it further, besides, this is pushing WOW Moddability way too far.

p.s.: that's something that will never leave my hardrive. not as if anyone was going to be interested anyways
12-30-05, 09:30 AM   #45
coder_1024
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
yea, but thats assuming that the chat logging feature continually "flushes" the data to the file. it probably does this now, but if a mod like this were released, they'd probably just change it so it only flushes the data once per minute or something and this would break.

also, I think the issue with the original poster's mod was not that it was a memory exploit but that it couldn't be posted here unless source code was provided. i.e. it was just a policy issue with the site regarding requiring source.
12-30-05, 10:13 AM   #46
i-right-i
A Fallenroot Satyr

I couldn't of said it any better Greg. /Kudos

i-right-i
12-30-05, 08:14 PM   #47
CmdKewin
A Defias Bandit
Regarding the chat log... I was surprised to see it working in 1.8. I did try it before and never got it working. Besides, I expect Blizzard to break/fix (depending on which side you are) again in 1.9 so no big deal.

Did i say i agreed with the original poster? Didn't seem like it to me...
It is hard enough to cope with people tagging you as a "cheater" for using mods and macros and seeing people making it even harder by using "dirty tricks" (altough, you'll have to admit it, clever ones... evil, but clever... there's no limit to human immagination) just sickens me.

p.s: I won't question this site's policies but, two things.
1. There are other ones around.
2. Why blame someone for creating an account stealer without having seen what he has done? If you fear that he might send you passwords around the net... there's a simple answer... pull the plug And use a sniffer. Enough said. *goes back to coding*

p.s.s.: or, if you know assembler, decompile the binary. kudos.
12-30-05, 08:30 PM   #48
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
If you'll notice, the site admins that have responded to the thread haven't accused the OP of a single thing. All we have done is explain our policy and why we have it in place. The option always remains with the authors on whether they choose to host with us or not. If they want to host with us and their mod has an executable, they provide source code for us to verify. If they don't want to honour that, they don't host with us. There is no accusation, there is no debate. Our policies are in place to protect everyone, as already stated.
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Avatar Image by RaffaeleMarinetti
12-31-05, 07:09 AM   #49
CmdKewin
A Defias Bandit
/bow

Have a nice new year's eve.
12-31-05, 04:20 PM   #50
Beladona
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by mrbrdo
... For godness sake, Windows is closed-source, so why don't you skip to Linux? ...
Already "skipped" to Linux, so thanks for the suggestion...

Take this as you will, as I mean nothing harsh by it. This site has always, and will always approve files of all kinds before they are provided for download. We will NEVER support something that hasn't gone through approval. You can either choose to accept this, or go elsewhere. There have been others who have provided source and applications for approval on this site, as well as gone through extensive beta testing before being full hosted by us.

If you don't need hosting by us, and you consider your code too closed to offer it to us for approval, then you really have no business using us as a springboard for any kind of testing or announcement of mod release. The minute we allow someone to post code without approval, is the same minute that we allow malicious code to be hosted here. I am not saying your code is malicious -- but we don't know you. Just as you don't trust US with your code, we don't trust YOU with our hosting...
01-01-06, 09:10 PM   #51
mrbrdo
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Beladona well you're late.. This has already all been said and i kinda got it...
01-02-06, 07:49 AM   #52
Tylius
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Aw, this looked interesting too =(
Not that I need it, but, I like looking at nifty things like this =D
01-02-06, 11:23 AM   #53
Beladona
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by mrbrdo
Beladona well you're late.. This has already all been said and i kinda got it...
I am out of town so my time has been limited online lately. Sorry for rehashing what was already said. I am glad you "got it".

Just be mindful of the rules, the mods, and the admins, and be polite to everyone, and all will be fine with you and this site...
01-17-06, 07:48 PM   #54
jaye1701
A Kobold Labourer
thats pretty huge to change an exe or even to modify it.

You could always load it in a VM session and then use Ethereal to see what IP's it calling to.

Save the logfile then use www.whois.sc or www.dnsstuff.com to verify where the IP's are phoning home too.

Also you could check for other nasties like rootkit installers using RootkitRevealer, services.

Or even just install it on a VM Maching using INCTRL to see what it drops. What registry keys, values, etc.

but that would take some time
01-28-06, 12:38 PM   #55
Shadowstreak
A Defias Bandit

Thumbs up ?

If we did trust the guy...or be willing to take a chance for a seemingly good program, could we email you mrbrdo and get the program?
01-28-06, 12:44 PM   #56
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Originally Posted by Shadowstreak
If we did trust the guy...or be willing to take a chance for a seemingly good program, could we email you mrbrdo and get the program?
If you do so, please note that WoWInterface can't be held accountable for any problems you may encounter as a result.
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Avatar Image by RaffaeleMarinetti
01-28-06, 12:47 PM   #57
Shadowstreak
A Defias Bandit

Smile

Well, I sent him a PM about it, if it works without hacking me, I'll let you know, well then again you couldn't trust me on account of I might be in league with him or something like that...but if it does...haha I have it and you dont! And if not, I'll wipe WoW and reinstall it and use my recovery question.

EDIT: I got it and I'm loading it now, stupid que wait.

Last edited by Shadowstreak : 02-04-06 at 11:23 PM.
07-05-07, 01:54 AM   #58
Wolf3235
A Kobold Labourer
Where can I download the mod.....?
07-05-07, 06:21 AM   #59
knigitz
A Murloc Raider
mrbrdo, as for your question on another forum.

You can create overlay graphics on directx by using the sprite class, or by using your own textured quad and putting the texture/image onto it. If you are using text though it would be easy to use a sprite and then the normal dxfont system to write onto the sprite.

I hope this pans out for you -- and just so you know I'm not saddened to see the file not be accepted here without source, it is an integral part of security and acceptance. But at the same time, from your posts on madshi, what you were trying to do looked harmless enough. But if you understand that some may not be as nice as they seem, you can understand others reluctance to not fully trust and endorse someone they do not know, and that is pushing them patched executables. It's not something that is commonplace without repercussions.

Also, there are applications which are not so much application specific, as much as directx specific.

http://halb.servercamp.de/proggi/Voi...eatures_en.php
Voice Overlay for example does not care about the application, only the video mode.

Last edited by knigitz : 07-05-07 at 06:35 AM.
07-05-07, 06:50 AM   #60
flaska
A Theradrim Guardian
AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Why thottbot? Wowhead ftw.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » In-game Thottbot Browser