08-09-07, 08:08 PM   #1
Aleeo
A Murloc Raider
Dictionary

Is there a way of having a spell checker in wow?
it would be great can it be done?
08-09-07, 09:11 PM   #2
Layrajha
A Frostmaul Preserver

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
It would take some memory but it's possible. It would really take some memory though
08-09-07, 09:12 PM   #3
Dreadlorde
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Layrajha
It would take some memory but it's possible. It would really take some memory though
would WoW become a slide show? lol. :P

Funtoo - Plan 9 - Windows 7
08-09-07, 09:46 PM   #4
Aleeo
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Dreadlorde
would WoW become a slide show? lol. :P

lol not sure what ya mean but yeah, that could be great even if i takes 512mb memory it would still be nice to have i cant spell that great and it would make the game a bit more fun without the "you can't spell" comments
08-09-07, 09:50 PM   #5
Dreadlorde
A Pyroguard Emberseer

When I say slideshow, I mean under 4 frames per second.

08-09-07, 09:58 PM   #6
Aleeo
A Murloc Raider
o lol that slow hmm might still be good it would only be spell check in a chat tho ? or is it because it would have to reference a db the hole time?

lol i rally cant spell
08-09-07, 10:01 PM   #7
Dreadlorde
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Where are you from? Is english your first language? The only real point I can see for this mod is to help people who can't speak english well. And yes, because of the huge DB it would be a big hog.

08-09-07, 10:42 PM   #8
Aleeo
A Murloc Raider
no English is 2nd language, o well would have been nice lol
08-10-07, 12:11 AM   #9
Kaomie
A Scalebane Royal Guard

Originally Posted by Dreadlorde
And yes, because of the huge DB it would be a big hog.
Again memory is not CPU, why would a huge database cause 4 FPS?
Ok when you are typing and it is checking the spelling against the dictionary it will be slow, but usually you do not care that much about FPS when you type.

Last edited by Kaomie : 08-10-07 at 12:20 AM.
08-10-07, 02:43 AM   #10
Lywellyn
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

Your spelling seems to be pretty damn good for someone who speaks English as a second language

If people give you trouble in WoW, start speaking in your native language, then come back in English that if THEY can spell flawlessly in two languages, then they can talk.
08-10-07, 03:03 AM   #11
flaska
A Theradrim Guardian
AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
If you have a dictionary to firefox you know it doesn't exceed 2 megabyte, and thus it doesn't take up a lot of memory. It's when you are using ****loads of textures and images you have big memory usage.

On topic: Just alt-tab and use online dictionaries, to code a dictionary addon is not at all worth it.
08-10-07, 05:45 AM   #12
Persen
A Fallenroot Satyr
Hmmm, ain't there already one? Called learn2spell or something?
08-10-07, 06:34 AM   #13
Dreadlorde
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Persen
That wasn't nice.

08-10-07, 07:05 AM   #14
Harladar
An Aku'mai Servant

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
You say that if poeple make fun of his poor spelling that they should try to type in his language flawlessly, that isnt really a fair thing to say. First of, hes on an English website, and I'm assuming a US realm, I might be wrong, but this is just an Ex. In the US, most people speak English, so when we see someone with poor English, we automatically make fun of them. I'm not trying to be cruel, but I've noticed it. If someone has poor spelling, I dont really care as long as I can get the basic MSG.
08-10-07, 07:22 AM   #15
Layrajha
A Frostmaul Preserver

Originally Posted by flaska
If you have a dictionary to firefox you know it doesn't exceed 2 megabyte, and thus it doesn't take up a lot of memory. It's when you are using ****loads of textures and images you have big memory usage.

On topic: Just alt-tab and use online dictionaries, to code a dictionary addon is not at all worth it.
Firefox isn't coded in Lua and is allowed to use IOs though But yes, it shouldn't be 50Mo, actually. Though, implementing an optimized search tree or the kind of graph-like data structures that I assume to be at the origin of dictionaries in Lua would be a tad annoying (oh, implementing it any ugly way would work for sure, and even it's not as good memory and CPU wise as firefox, it'll still be ok at least for the CPU wise, and probably for the memory too on most configs).

Originally Posted by Harladar
You say that if poeple make fun of his poor spelling that they should try to type in his language flawlessly, that isnt really a fair thing to say. First of, hes on an English website, and I'm assuming a US realm, I might be wrong, but this is just an Ex. In the US, most people speak English, so when we see someone with poor English, we automatically make fun of them. I'm not trying to be cruel, but I've noticed it. If someone has poor spelling, I dont really care as long as I can get the basic MSG.
Is that some kind of the "English, motherf_cker, do you speak it?" thing that people seem to consider "funny"?
08-10-07, 10:02 AM   #16
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

Originally Posted by Persen
Actually its called Auto Correct and its database is rather small right now. Not sure if it will do our poster much good but its worth a look.

P.S. One of the authors comments mentions it will be handled more directly through ui.wordofwar.net

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor

Last edited by MidgetMage55 : 08-10-07 at 10:04 AM.
08-12-07, 03:52 PM   #17
Aleeo
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by MidgetMage55
Actually its called Auto Correct and its database is rather small right now. Not sure if it will do our poster much good but its worth a look.

P.S. One of the authors comments mentions it will be handled more directly through ui.wordofwar.net

Thank you all very much for the help ill have a look in to Auto Correct.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Dictionary