11-24-13, 09:08 PM   #1
jjforums
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Grid roles

Is there a way to show roles (tank, healer, dps) in Grid? Maybe separate in groups?

Thanks!
11-24-13, 10:35 PM   #2
Phanx
Cat.

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Use GridStatusDungeonRole or GridStatusRole.
12-03-13, 02:01 PM   #3
jjforums
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Thanks, and is there a way to group by role? Or rearrange order of players in grid? Thanks.
12-03-13, 04:05 PM   #4
Phanx
Cat.

Group by role, no, WoW's group header system doesn't support this.*

If you want to customize the layout (even manually arrange it) you will need to either write your own layout (see GridLayoutLayouts.lua ro examples) or use an in-game layout customization plugin. There's a link on the Grid page to a list of Grid plugins. I have no idea which one(s) are still maintained, as I've never used any of them.

*Technically you could manually filter groups using namelists (lists of specific player names) so that it appeared to be grouped by role, but this would require a plugin, either an already-existing one, or one you wrote yourself, to update the namelists each time someone joined the group or changed their role, and it would not be able to update in combat (eg. if someone joined the group while you were in combat, it would not be able to put them in the proper group until combat ended).

Last edited by Phanx : 12-03-13 at 04:07 PM.
12-13-13, 06:51 AM   #5
jjforums
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Still about Grid, is there a way to hide, to toggle its window? And hide that frame, show only the grid actually?

Thanks Phanx.
12-13-13, 09:43 AM   #6
jlam
A Fallenroot Satyr
Originally Posted by Phanx View Post
*Technically you could manually filter groups using namelists (lists of specific player names) so that it appeared to be grouped by role, but this would require a plugin, either an already-existing one, or one you wrote yourself, to update the namelists each time someone joined the group or changed their role, and it would not be able to update in combat (eg. if someone joined the group while you were in combat, it would not be able to put them in the proper group until combat ended).
There is a Grid layout module that does exactly that, with the caveats that Phanx mentioned: GridConfigurableLayout. I use it for raiding with Grid and works well.
12-13-13, 01:49 PM   #7
MoonWitch
A Firelord
Originally Posted by jjforums View Post
Still about Grid, is there a way to hide, to toggle its window? And hide that frame, show only the grid actually?

Thanks Phanx.
Set the background color's alpha to 0, same for the border and you're set.
12-18-13, 11:54 AM   #8
Lombra
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Phanx View Post
Group by role, no, WoW's group header system doesn't support this.*
I was not sure about this statement, as I was sure I had seen some stuff in the UI source about this. I went ahead and experimented a bit and it seems to be possible. (unless the following is completely different than what you meant)

http://pastebin.com/aJBx608W
This creates two sets of simple raid frames. The left one creates one layout for each role so that they get clearly separated. The only flaw with this seems to be that if there's any role that no one has, then that header will still leave a gap. Not sure if there's a way around that. The second one is simply a single layout sorted by role.

I have tried to do something similar in Grid, but it doesn't seem to work properly. Not sure what's going on there.
Code:
GridLayout:AddLayout("Role sort", {
	{
		groupBy = "ASSIGNEDROLE",
		groupingOrder = "TANK,HEALER,DAMAGER,NONE",
		maxColumns = 8,
		-- unitsPerColumn = 5,
	},
})

GridLayout:AddLayout("Role group", {
	{
		roleFilter = "TANK",
		-- maxColumns = 5,
		-- unitsPerColumn = 5,
	},
	{
		roleFilter = "HEALER",
		-- maxColumns = 5,
		-- unitsPerColumn = 5,
	},
	{
		roleFilter = "DAMAGER",
		-- maxColumns = 5,
		-- unitsPerColumn = 5,
	},
	{
		roleFilter = "NONE",
		-- maxColumns = 5,
		-- unitsPerColumn = 5,
	},
})
I have tried various combinations of unitsPerColumn and maxColumns. Not specifying unitsPerColumn just makes it infinitely wide, and maxColumns doesn't seem to do anything. Mostly though a layout never seems to expand over more than one column; it just cuts the first one off at unitPerColumn.

Last edited by Lombra : 12-18-13 at 11:58 AM.
12-18-13, 03:32 PM   #9
Phanx
Cat.

As last I'd checked SecureGroupHeaders.lua there was no way to filter or sort by role. It appears that has changed. As to why passing those values doesn't work in Grid, I have no idea, as it simply passes those attributes to the secure group headers as-is. I can look into it, but you should probably post a bug report ticket on WowAce so I don't forget.

Also, I'm pretty sure infinite width by not specifying unitsPerColumn is the intended behavior, but Grid definitely shows multiple columns by combining unitsPerColumn and maxColumns -- see the built-in "By Class" layouts.
12-19-13, 10:47 AM   #10
Lombra
A Molten Giant

Ok, groupFilter seemed to do the trick.
Code:
GridLayout:AddLayout("Role sort", {
	{
		groupFilter = "1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8",
		groupBy = "ASSIGNEDROLE",
		groupingOrder = "TANK,HEALER,DAMAGER,NONE",
		unitsPerColumn = 5,
		maxColumns = 8,
	},
})
Not sure why it should be needed. Didn't use it in the code I linked, but I guess there's no downside to doing it either.

I noticed the builtin by class 40 filter was broken, btw. It has no group filter and maxColumns set to 5! Or I guess maybe group filter was left out on purpose based on the same assumptions.
12-19-13, 05:28 PM   #11
Phanx
Cat.

If groupFilter is now required (rather than no groupFilter = show everyone) that's a new development. I'll try to remember to look into it, but again, it would be much easier if you would post a bug report on WowAce. Otherwise I am extremely likely to forget all about it.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Grid roles