01-18-14, 03:11 PM   #1
Kreelor
A Firelord

Unhappy Is this addon now dead?

Rythal, are you still working on it, or have you given up completely? I think this is a fair question to ask since you have not informed us of anything about your current status (real life or any work you're doing on the addon), or your intentions about this addon's future. That would be nice.

01-18-14, 10:14 PM   #2
[email protected]
A Kobold Labourer
Unhappy would hate to abandon...but.....

I would hate to abandon my most beloved addon, but it may have come time to jump ship since it is pretty useless now and there seems to be no news coming our way. Strange, because it still sits atop WoW Interface's homepage as a most favorite/downloaded addon. Even Blizzard has used some of it's ideas. So sad. Anybody have a decent alternative?

01-20-14, 10:20 AM   #3
sandlolz
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
I'd say it's completely dead. Even the alpha version is far too buggy to be tolerated.

Really sucks, I loved this thing.

01-20-14, 05:11 PM   #4
pinderhughes
A Defias Bandit
Yep. I still hold hope that since its open source someone will adopt it and fix it up. Until then.. the map still works as well as notes relatively well.. just delete the other modules especially the quest one. Use QuestHelperLite, QuestGuru to replace some of the Quest module functionality.

It was good while it lasted. I am hoping the map module works to WoD and beyond. I may learn lua scripting to hopefully know enough to bugfix the map module when new patches come out if nobody else does, to adapt to new API changes in the addon API framework.

01-21-14, 03:21 AM   #5
Tim
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
You people are ridiculous. Rythal had to work multiple jobs last month and may still be doing so to fund his trip to Blizzcon and then had some ignorant person cause him financial issues which hopefully he reported them for fraud. Remember, he was a beloved user of the addon that kindly took it over and has been working hard to further develop and turn it into something better. Kreelor for example the last few posts have been nothing but doubting Rythal and endless claims that an addon is dead. Creating addons is not a job so people demanding things to be done need to take a step back. The addon is still in it's beta stages meaning there's going to be bugs and you accept this by using it.
Battle Tag: Mysterio#11164
Current PC Setup: PCPartPicker List

01-21-14, 06:39 AM   #6
Kreelor
A Firelord

Originally Posted by Tim View Post
You people are ridiculous. Rythal had to work multiple jobs last month and may still be doing so to fund his trip to Blizzcon and then had some ignorant person cause him financial issues which hopefully he reported them for fraud. Remember, he was a beloved user of the addon that kindly took it over and has been working hard to further develop and turn it into something better. Kreelor for example the last few posts have been nothing but doubting Rythal and endless claims that an addon is dead. Creating addons is not a job so people demanding things to be done need to take a step back. The addon is still in it's beta stages meaning there's going to be bugs and you accept this by using it.
First of all, nobody is demanding anything. I only asked for some common courtesy from him. Frankly, I'm tired of people apologizing for him and speaking for him, as though they have the right to do so. I've read about his trip and the PayPal situation. People keep bringing those things up repeatedly to apologize (for him) for his lack of communication. He said he was bored with the game, but he loved working on the addon. Many of the existing problems with the Beta/Alpha version are addon-related issues, not requiring extensive game play, raids, etc. My post was plain and clear; why doesn't he let us know what the hell is going on? It's not a demand. It doesn't mean that I don't understand and empathize with his personal life issues. I'm wondering only about the current and future outlook for this addon and why he doesn't speak for himself. Simple. After all, he chose to take on the project, and he's done an excellent job (up to the point where he stopped with updates and communication with all of us). If he's done with the addon, then let us know. If he's working on it (silently), then let us know. If he plans to continue updating the addon for the upcoming new release, then let us know. Once again, that's a simple, common-courtesy thing to do, since we all love, use, and have nearly become dependent upon this wonderful addon. This addon has been in the Alpha stage of the Beta stage for quite some time, and has stopped progressing. Tim, I have NOT made "endless claims that this addon is dead!" You are wrong to accuse me of that.
I'm just wondering what is going on and what his plans are, or if this addon is now dead!
He's the only one who can answer that, if he chooses to. It should take no more than a couple of minutes to do so.

Last edited by Kreelor : 01-21-14 at 06:41 AM. Reason: typo

01-21-14, 08:44 AM   #7
Nimhfree
A Frostmaul Preserver
The easiest thing is to assume the addon is dead. If you find the current code to be lacking some feature you might want to find someone to provide that feature. If you make public your efforts to get this done, the community and any involved in the current project (i.e., Rythal) will be aware and may chime in. Just move forward and if Rythal wants to, and is able to comment, I am sure you will see a comment. But please stop these types of postings as they seem like whining. A much more interesting post would be an enumerated list of issues, and asking for help to fix them.

01-21-14, 10:07 AM   #8
Kreelor
A Firelord

Everybody seems to be more intent on attacking me, accusing me of whining, etc. while circumventing the simple questions I asked. There was no whining, or anything like that. I'm sorry you read something else into it.

BTW, I've noticed that there are many 'addon authors' who post here, yet I haven't seen any volunteers providing help. The addon has been open-source for over a year, so why should everybody expect Rythal to do it all, especially if he isn't able to for various reasons? If I was skilled enough to make the changes, I would.

To reiterate, I only want to know what's going on? It's a fair question without any malice intended.

01-21-14, 11:37 AM   #9
Tim
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

I only attacked you because I see your name pretty frequently when it comes to bugs so I decided to view your posting history and out of the last 7 messages over a 3 month period each time it was saying he disappeared or the addon appears dead. Also, just because someone has the addon author logo doesn't mean they want to partake in said addons development. I know I for example am probably only intermediate when it comes to addon development and seeing all the complaints from people all the time would drive me away, not worth the hassle imo. I don't use the addon, was never particular with it which is another reason why I wouldn't participate with it. All I've done was create the banner for v2. :P
Battle Tag: Mysterio#11164
Current PC Setup: PCPartPicker List

01-21-14, 06:14 PM   #10
Nimhfree
A Frostmaul Preserver
Originally Posted by Kreelor View Post
BTW, I've noticed that there are many 'addon authors' who post here, yet I haven't seen any volunteers providing help. The addon has been open-source for over a year, so why should everybody expect Rythal to do it all, especially if he isn't able to for various reasons? If I was skilled enough to make the changes, I would.
I actually privately mailed Rythal asking about some information of how to best interact with the map. Basically I wanted to revamp the way the quests module works to make use of Grail instead of relying on its own data. This would be an optional addon of course. I imagine I could make it so there is no delay while doing quests so peoples' experiences would be better, and because it would use Grail it would be more up-to-date that anything else out there. However, I have not heard a reply so I decided to work on other things at the moment. I am not a Carbonite user so I have no pressing interest to get it done. Without help I need to put my time into other things instead of having to research how Carbonite does things (even though I can read the code I have downloaded). Note that my interest of course only lies in the quest module, so I am not about to correcting issues in other parts of the addon, even if I were told what they are. You will find that a lot of addon authors work on things that interest them so you need to let people know what the problems are so perhaps someone might find something on the list interesting.

01-23-14, 12:16 PM   #11
rebelsoul
A Murloc Raider
I've been using Carbonite for about 3years now and I have read the posts about Rythal's personal situation.
Horrible as they they were, IMHO it's about time the situation regarding Carbonite was updated.

I think the OP has a valid point. There's a complete lack of recent info about plans for Carbonite and the lack of posts from the Author is not very helpful. I've been using the Alpha/Beta for many months now and quite simply it's VERY Buggy, tho useable.

IMO WOWInterface should remove Carbonite from it's featured list until it becomes quite clear exactly what is planned for Carbonite. This is not an attack on anyone it's a sincere post regarding the plans for Carbonite.

01-26-14, 07:07 PM   #12
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
The only current bug that I am aware of is that for some people the quest module causes hiccups, however no one has been able to see a cause for it, and of the 3 machines I run Carbonite on I have to this point not been able to reproduce it... I have started 10 or so new characters in new zones doing the quests upto level 20 trying to have it happen... I have done the quests in pandaria trying to have it happen, but no luck so far... I can't fix what I can't see.

Nihm, sorry I thought I had replied to your message and i'll check / reply again.

01-31-14, 06:49 AM   #13
Freezer64
A Defias Bandit
Originally Posted by Rythal View Post
The only current bug that I am aware of is that for some people the quest module causes hiccups, however no one has been able to see a cause for it, and of the 3 machines I run Carbonite on I have to this point not been able to reproduce it... I have started 10 or so new characters in new zones doing the quests up to level 20 trying to have it happen... I have done the quests in pandaria trying to have it happen, but no luck so far... I can't fix what I can't see.

Nihm, sorry I thought I had replied to your message and i'll check / reply again.
Please tell me you're joking? I just re-subbed, started a new toon, (Worgen, Hunter, Alliance). Carbonite is near useless. I walk to a question mark and the question mark moves around instead of the map moving. The map is like neon green unless I mouse over it. There were a total of 3 quests that Carbonite actually knew. Other than that I'm uninstalling. I am only level 6 atm. So from what you're saying I found problems 194 levels before you did.

I am one who donated years ago, because frankly I thought it was the best addon anyone had ever made for WoW, as well as what should be standard for WoW addons. Which is one thing that the OP forgot to mention in one of his posts regarding why the question; some of us donated, and I believe we have every right to know what's going on with it an addon that we paid for.

01-31-14, 10:06 AM   #14
Chmee
A Molten Giant
You didn't buy a product, you gave the original developers of the Carbonite addon a gift. That entitles you to beat your chest and say "I donated!" and nothing more. Aside from that, you gave no gift to Rythal, so even if such gift giving did entitle you to something more, it wouldn't entitle you to that from him.

01-31-14, 11:52 AM   #15
Kreelor
A Firelord

Originally Posted by Freezer64 View Post
Which is one thing that the OP forgot to mention in one of his posts regarding why the question; some of us donated, and I believe we have every right to know what's going on with it an addon that we paid for.
If you are referring to me as the original poster (which I was of this topic), I didn't forget anything. My topic had/has nothing to do with donations. And, neither did I claim that anybody "had a right" to know what's going on! I simply asked what was going on. I will admit that I did hope for a reply from him, but so far that hasn't happened. If he doesn't, that will be answer enough for me.

01-31-14, 12:00 PM   #16
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
He did post in this thread.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

01-31-14, 08:50 PM   #17
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Originally Posted by Freezer64 View Post
Please tell me you're joking? I just re-subbed, started a new toon, (Worgen, Hunter, Alliance). Carbonite is near useless. I walk to a question mark and the question mark moves around instead of the map moving. The map is like neon green unless I mouse over it. There were a total of 3 quests that Carbonite actually knew. Other than that I'm uninstalling. I am only level 6 atm. So from what you're saying I found problems 194 levels before you did.

I am one who donated years ago, because frankly I thought it was the best addon anyone had ever made for WoW, as well as what should be standard for WoW addons. Which is one thing that the OP forgot to mention in one of his posts regarding why the question; some of us donated, and I believe we have every right to know what's going on with it an addon that we paid for.
If you installed the standard install I wouldn't be surprised, if you installed the one downloaded from carboniteaddon I wouldn't be surprised. It could be worgen start area is not working, and that's what the bug forum is for, if it was there I'd look into it. There is only one version that works and works well. As for donating, feel free to look up the people you donated to and ask them what's going on with the addon. They abandoned it a long time ago.

02-01-14, 11:27 AM   #18
Kreelor
A Firelord

Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
He did post in this thread.
Seerah, I don't know what that means. Who is the "He" you referred to? Your reply is quite vague.

I started this topic (as Original Poster) with a simple question to Rythal (specifically). Yes, he (Rythal) has posted in this thread (about things that don't relate at all to my original post), but he has never bothered to answer my Original Post, and I believe it was a courteous, simple question for him to answer. I imagine that many other people are still wondering what I'm wondering, yet it goes unanswered for 2 weeks now.

It's almost 4 months now since he released 5.4.0 Alpha 2.

02-02-14, 09:48 AM   #19
ezarra
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Originally Posted by Nimhfree View Post
The easiest thing is to assume the addon is dead. If you find the current code to be lacking some feature you might want to find someone to provide that feature. If you make public your efforts to get this done, the community and any involved in the current project (i.e., Rythal) will be aware and may chime in. Just move forward and if Rythal wants to, and is able to comment, I am sure you will see a comment. But please stop these types of postings as they seem like whining. A much more interesting post would be an enumerated list of issues, and asking for help to fix them.
Agreed. I still find Carbonite to be better than any other options. Are the quests 100% there? no, but still pretty damn good. Does the map still work better than any other map? Yep.

If it's dead it's dead and maybe someone else will take it up. If not, eventually something will break and the last of us will be forced to move to something else.

If anyone had told me 10 years ago I'd sill be playing WoW I would have laughed in their face.

02-03-14, 01:14 AM   #20
Freezer64
A Defias Bandit
Cool

Originally Posted by Kreelor View Post
If you are referring to me as the original poster (which I was of this topic), I didn't forget anything. My topic had/has nothing to do with donations. And, neither did I claim that anybody "had a right" to know what's going on! I simply asked what was going on. I will admit that I did hope for a reply from him, but so far that hasn't happened. If he doesn't, that will be answer enough for me.
I am not demanding anything either, I just said there are people that donated, and to me, in my world that I live in, it's common courtesy to inform the people that liked your addon (enough to get their wallet out and give you some of their hard earned money) of it's current or future course whatever it may be. In fact I think it's just common courtesy to answer a question. The fact that he has responded twice in this thread without answering the question, otherwise known as dodging, I'm guessing he is letting it die. Not sure why he doesn't just man up and say something, not like we're all trying to hunt him down and punish him for it.

I understand that dude who took it over prolly never saw any of that money years ago, but you too have a donate button where it is hosted, at least on curse. I doubt he can claim he hasn't had a donation since he took it over. Anyways, like the last post said, if its dead it's dead.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Is this addon now dead?