02-13-20, 04:17 PM   #1
cozmos
A Murloc Raider
CPU friendly Unit Frames Addon

As the title says I’m looking for that.
I’m currently using Shadowed Unitframes which are amazing.
In Combat they are using like 0,8ms CPU.
But maybe I will find something which uses less because I don’t need that much customization
Because I’m using Blizzard Raid Frames for party and raid.

I tested a lot of them like Stuf, Ruf, Pitbull and so but they are using much more.
Haven’t tested ouf stuff lately.
02-14-20, 03:15 PM   #2
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Are you having performance issues? Working with a low-end CPU?
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

10-10-20, 03:23 AM   #3
cozmos
A Murloc Raider
Sry for the late reply, forgot I posted this

Im playing at super low latency and high frames so everything that slows the client is noticeable.
Sure you get used to it but I try to use as less as possible addons to make it feel like playing without addons.
10-10-20, 10:10 AM   #4
DahkCeles
A Cliff Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
When doing work on CT_UnitFrames earlier this year, I found one of the biggest performance improvements came from taking old circa Burning Crusade code like this:
Lua Code:
  1. RegisterEvent("UNIT_HEALTH")

and replacing it with a function introduced in Mists of Pandaria:
Lua Code:
  1. RegisterUnitEvent("UNIT_HEALTH", "target")

I even noticed a difference alone in front of a combat dummy, when measuring CPU usage in a controlled setting. I never extended those measurements to a true raid setting, but the impact would probably be greatly magnified by group size and in larger pulls.
10-11-20, 12:57 AM   #5
SDPhantom
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
There really isn't any magical difference between the two ways of registering events. The Lua engine is just slow compared to the game's C code. Any time spent calling your Lua code eats up CPU power, even if your function has no instructions in it. This is why the specific unit event registration exists, to only call your function when the event fires for the unit you're watching.

Last edited by SDPhantom : 10-11-20 at 01:01 AM.
10-14-20, 05:16 PM   #6
Jynks
A Frostmaul Preserver
I have been using the wowace "shadow unit frame" one for a long time. I love it. I think it is pretty lite? Worth a try I guess. Has a lot of options to try out.
10-17-20, 01:11 AM   #7
cozmos
A Murloc Raider
Yap, shadowed UF perform really good. Best I have found so far. I was using Zorks ouf mod quite a long time which was really good too.

I´m not that deep into programming but I can modify some lua code to my fittings.

Thats what I usually do. Look for things in the code like update frequency or refresh cycle.
I´m changing that to 0.3 or 0.5 depending on the priotity of having that information and measuring it.

My goal is to keep the CPU impact as low as possible. Usually below 1ms even in combat.
Working out really good so far.
BUT! I have managed to get that performance with ~20 addons installed!

Using Blizzard stuff (like raidframes) or addons that just modify Blizzard stuff to my fittings and wherever possible just plain textures or icons to mod the UI.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » CPU friendly Unit Frames Addon