02-19-12, 05:01 AM   #1
Kendian
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
With or without

Is a small change, but can't decide..First pic is with panels, and second without.
I'd like some help deciding >.<

Sorry about the image quality, was too big so had to use Image Shack~

Last edited by Kendian : 02-19-12 at 05:16 AM.
02-19-12, 06:13 AM   #2
unlimit
Lookin' Good

With, most certainly.

kúdan: im playing pantheon
JRCapablanca: no youre not
** Pantheon has been Banned. **
02-19-12, 06:59 AM   #3
Othgar
"That" Guy

Definitely with

02-19-12, 02:02 PM   #4
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

It's your UI, so, most definitely go with the way you prefer.

If you like the panels, go with them. If you don't like the panels then don't use them.

I must say, though, that in my experience it occasionally depends on what's going on in the world (what kind of environment your character is in). That makes a big difference about what looks good and what doesn't. Usually (again, in my experience) using panels makes it more difficult to "loose" your UI elements in a difficult situation.

Just my opinion (and probably one of my better "non-answer" answers).

Carbonite <----- GitHub main module (Maps ONLY) download link. The other modules are also available on GitHub.
Carbonite-CLASSIC<----- GitHub link to Carbonite Classic. Thanks to ircdirk for this!
02-19-12, 07:59 PM   #5
Phanx
Cat.

I'd say without, with those particular panels. Having essentially three lines (black, gray, black) between all the bars and buttons adds a ton of visual clutter. Adding a simple panel around the whole object (the whole unit frame, or the whole action bar) instead of panels around every single part of the object (each status bar, or each button) would look much better, and still provide a clear distinction between the game world and the UI.
02-21-12, 09:48 AM   #6
goldengamer
A Fallenroot Satyr
I vote with
02-21-12, 12:16 PM   #7
Kendian
A Molten Giant

Well, this is what I ended up with, but it's missing SOMETHING. I can't put my finger on it, but something is definitely missing >.< Disregard the action bars lower right, in the idle screenie, is just a bar thas out while I'm working on my UI. Please, C&C/suggestions are welcome, nay, NEEDED~
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stuff.jpg
Views:	835
Size:	1.81 MB
ID:	6791  Click image for larger version

Name:	combat2.jpg
Views:	820
Size:	305.9 KB
ID:	6792  
02-21-12, 10:51 PM   #8
Phanx
Cat.

I don't know, pixel fonts are just awful in general (even if I had perfect vision, they'd still be ugly, but since I don't, they're unreadable and ugly), and the whole "sleek pixel border" look doesn't feel like it fits well with the overall aesthetic of WoW. :/
02-21-12, 11:06 PM   #9
Qupe
A Warpwood Thunder Caller

Originally Posted by Phanx View Post
I don't know, pixel fonts are just awful in general (even if I had perfect vision, they'd still be ugly, but since I don't, they're unreadable and ugly), and the whole "sleek pixel border" look doesn't feel like it fits well with the overall aesthetic of WoW. :/

I've gone from your opinion to the opposite over time. I can't stand pixel fonts in chat frames but I feel like the thinoutline on non-pixel fonts looks awful on most UF's and meters (or various other bar displays) and have swapped all of those over to a pixel font with the crisp monochrome outline.

I have some junkish eyesight and don't wear my glasses (though I should 90% of the time), and just can't deal with how most serif (basically, anything but a pixel font) looks like against a colored BG - so, a UF with class colored bars, most damage meters, etc... Basically, can't stand pixel fonts in chat windows/option frames/general UI - but can't stand non-pixel fonts on UFs, bar displays, basically I use them on anything that isn't what I like serif/sans serif fonts on =|

On topic:
I reallllllllllly like the new layout but I don't care for the pixel font. Just my preference, I like pixel fonts that aren't much different than most serif/sans serif fonts. I'd remove the text shadow on the pixel fonts for sure though, but again, just a personal preference, I hate shadows on pixel fonts.

Frames look really nice.

I don't necessarily see why you'd need all of the text info at the top and bottom of the UI, seems like it should be consolidated in one location/be minimized to vital stats. I've never understood why open bagslots/gold needs to be shown, but if you drop those stats you can put the non zone text/coords into that bar and place the zone/coords on the minimap (if you really need to see them at all time - ie a main map mod that shows coords if you need them on the fly).

Still, overall, I think it's really sharp - awesome job!
02-21-12, 11:17 PM   #10
Nibelheim
local roygbi-

I think you should remove the glaze on the action buttons. Doesn't quite fit with the rest.
02-21-12, 11:21 PM   #11
Qupe

The glaze looks like it somewhat fits with the statusbar texture, but would be better to just edit the texture on the hotbars to shadow the buttons instead of the glossy look.

Last edited by Qupe : 02-21-12 at 11:43 PM.
02-22-12, 03:41 PM   #12
Kendian
A Molten Giant

Placement of data feeds and font (overall) have been ( and will probably continue to be) the hardest part of overall UI design, for me. I've tried just about every known font there is, lol. And having bag space and other data feeds...well, just trust me when I say that the ones shown, are the ones Ive faltered without, lol. All have scripted kgpanels behind them, bag space opens bags, gold opens token panel, coords open the world map, durability opens character panel, etc. I blame WoW Interface and these forums for my fascination with pixel fonts. I can't remember off the top of my head whose UI it was...but prompted me to try a pixelated font, and after that, I was lost. Trust me, I WISH I could use the neuropol font, is my favorite, but never seems to look right, anymore. Thanks, all of you, for taking the time to look, and comment, it really makes my day, when I sign on, and see that people have taken the time to look, AND comment . As for button facade..Ive tried so MANY diff skins, but this is only one with ability to properly show a pixel perfect border, no matter resolution. (pHishr's Random1)

Fake editi: For those of you that TL/DR ( an internet phenomenon that irritates me at an almost cellular level) Thanks for looking, and thanks for commenting, will be updating new pics, later, saw a serif based pixel font (Kyou) gonna try that out, along with first ever (for me) mouse-over kgpanels, lol.

Last edited by Kendian : 02-22-12 at 03:43 PM.
02-22-12, 05:57 PM   #13
Phanx
Cat.

Originally Posted by Qupe View Post
I have some junkish eyesight and don't wear my glasses (though I should 90% of the time) ...
If you can read anything on the screen without your glasses, you're better off than I am. Without my glasses, at a normal viewing distance, the WoWI logo at the top of this page is just a yellow blob, and I can't even identify anything else as being text.
02-22-12, 09:42 PM   #14
Talyrius
An Onyxian Warder

Originally Posted by Phanx View Post
... Without my glasses, at a normal viewing distance, the WoWI logo at the top of this page is just a yellow blob, and I can't even identify anything else as being text.
That describes my vision perfectly. If I squint hard enough, I can read the logo and can begin to make out some of the text, but the eyestrain is too much to bear.

However, I see perfectly fine with my glasses on. I have eye exams regularly to help stay on top of my prescription. I'm 25 right now though, so I'm not exactly looking forward to old age.
02-23-12, 12:27 AM   #15
Qupe

Originally Posted by Kendian View Post
As for button facade..Ive tried so MANY diff skins, but this is only one with ability to properly show a pixel perfect border, no matter resolution. (pHishr's Random1)
I can try and make one that matches that skin if you want
02-23-12, 12:29 AM   #16
Kendian
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Qupe View Post
I can try and make one that matches that skin if you want
That would be extremely cool!
02-23-12, 01:02 AM   #17
Qupe

If you could toss me a link to the statusbar texture you use (or a link to the media pack its in) that would be super!
02-23-12, 08:41 AM   #18
Kendian
A Molten Giant

I can't remember which media pack these came from, I have them all in one SharedMedia file. Although they DID come from here on WoW Interface.
Attached Files
File Type: zip statusbar.zip (3.2 KB, 663 views)
02-23-12, 05:34 PM   #19
Qupe

Not sure, but give it a try
Attached Files
File Type: zip button.zip (652 Bytes, 677 views)
02-26-12, 09:04 PM   #20
Wimpface
A Molten Giant

I'd get rid of the glaze like Quse mentioned, and choose a different font. Keep to pixel, though.

I'd also try to get the same font on every element except possibly chat. Your nameplate font isn't the same as your unitframe font.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » UI Screenshots, Feedback and Design Discussion » With or without