01-12-09, 08:04 AM   #1
HyperGig
A Cyclonian
Frame Issues from playing on diff 2 machines

I play on two different computers, my laptop and my desktop, both with very different resolutions. I don’t multibox, just two different machines at different times, like if I want to lan party I will take my laptop.

So I have this script that copies the whole WFT and Interface directory to my drop box (getbropbox.com), and another script that restores the files that I use on the other machine. So when I'm done playing on my laptop I copy everything to the dropbox, and before I play on my desktop I restore files to that machine. This way I only have to keep one machine up to date with my mods but more importantly I don't have to reconfigure the mods on both machines (like all my auctioneer data).

Now the obvious problem is that when I play on one machine after I was playing on the other, all my mods are in strange places and if I move them, they end up on strange places on the other one when I go back there. So I changed the script to not copy the layout cache files and that fixed half the problem. The other half of the problem is that some mods don’t use the layout cache files so they will always I will always have to readjust them each time I switch from one computer to the other.

My question is this: Is there anything in the wow api that I can use to recursively get and store all the placements(X, Y, Height, Width) of all the frames the mods make? This way I can just skip that saved variables file when I do the copy to dropbox and each computer keeps its own one. When I log in, I will run this mod and it will move all the frames to their correct places and sizes.

PS… sorry for the wall of text.
01-12-09, 10:56 AM   #2
Psoewish
A Scalebane Royal Guard

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I don't know about coding it in, but 1 solution would be to make a desktop and a laptop profile for all mods. Then when you transfer the settings, you just select the appropriate profile for the system you're on and you're set.
01-12-09, 11:04 AM   #3
HyperGig
A Cyclonian
Oh like mod profiles?.... That's not a bad idea, i didn't realize change profiles changed the frames. Is there a mod that will change the profile on all my mods in one shot?
01-12-09, 11:05 AM   #4
Psoewish
A Scalebane Royal Guard

I'm not sure if there's a mod to do that, actually I kinda doubt it, but you may be able to throw that into a macro somehow.
01-12-09, 11:44 AM   #5
HyperGig
A Cyclonian
i have to say, this might work
01-12-09, 12:40 PM   #6
Akryn
A Firelord
Wouldn't it be easier to just keep them both at the same resolution?
01-12-09, 01:02 PM   #7
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
He said that they were both very different. I'm assuming that his laptop is widescreen and his desktop isn't, or something of that sort. Personally, my eyes bleed whenever I see wow set to widescreen on a monitor that is not, or vice versa.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

01-12-09, 01:03 PM   #8
Psoewish
A Scalebane Royal Guard

Originally Posted by Akryn View Post
Wouldn't it be easier to just keep them both at the same resolution?
Maybe easier yes, but let's say you have a 15" laptop and a 21" desktop monitor ... I'd like to make use of the 21" as much as I can as well in this situation
01-12-09, 01:11 PM   #9
HyperGig
A Cyclonian
Well... i see that not all mods have slash commands for changing profiles
01-12-09, 01:13 PM   #10
HyperGig
A Cyclonian
Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
He said that they were both very different. I'm assuming that his laptop is widescreen and his desktop isn't, or something of that sort. Personally, my eyes bleed whenever I see wow set to widescreen on a monitor that is not, or vice versa.

My eyes to bleed...

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Frame Issues from playing on diff 2 machines