01-17-09, 06:52 AM   #1
shdwphnx
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Route finding addon?

Does anyone know of an addon that can help find the best route to a given destination, like "turn by turn" directions on the TomTom or Cartographer waypoint arrow or similar?

I am afraid that I am horrible at remembering how to get to places, even when I have been there a dozen times or more. While addons like TomTom or Cartographer WayPoints definitely help, I still find myself constantly getting lost in the maze of mountains or buildings that are between me and my destination.

To give the old timers a better idea of what I am looking for (and probably get myself severely flamed ), there was an extremely (in)famous addon that basically did this and much more. While I can gladly do without the other features, I greatly miss the route finding/recording capabilities of AutoTravel.
01-17-09, 10:02 AM   #2
tinyu
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
unfortunately there is no way for a mod to know if there is a big ass mountain in your way.
01-17-09, 10:08 AM   #3
Psoewish
A Scalebane Royal Guard

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by tinyu View Post
unfortunately there is no way for a mod to know if there is a big ass mountain in your way.
Well technically there is, if you program the entire terrain of wow in it. But that would take a huge amount of time to make, and I imagine it would be a very resource intensive addon as well :]
01-17-09, 11:07 AM   #4
Psychophan7
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
Originally Posted by Psoewish View Post
Well technically there is, if you program the entire terrain of wow in it. But that would take a huge amount of time to make, and I imagine it would be a very resource intensive addon as well :]
Or use a pre-fabricated database of waypoints, like the old addon the OP mentioned. For the uninformed, here's how it worked (sort of):
We've got five waypoint nodes, Q E S Z V. (Look at your QWERTY keyboard, its a map!) Each of those nodes only connects to certain other nodes, but not all of them.
Q to E, Z
E to Q, S, V
Z to Q, V
V to E, Z
S to E

If you're at Z and want to go to S, you have to take the shortest route possible. Q is closer to Z than V is, so the indicator has to point to Q. Then you have to go to E, and then S. The indicator wouldn't point directly from Z to S.

Now, what such database would do is effectively provide a map for the addon to navigate. Making such "maps" could be aided by another module that lets you add the nodes; To connect two (or more routes) to another node, this module could also display the nodes on your world map, so that you can play connect-the-dots.
01-17-09, 07:44 PM   #5
shdwphnx
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Managed to find an addon that is extremely close to what I am looking for - Routes. Not sure how I missed it in my original search.

Only issue I have with it is that makes all routes a circle instead of a line. However, I think I can make it work if I place the nodes properly.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Route finding addon?