08-30-08, 02:41 PM   #1
iggeigge
A Defias Bandit
Use data from external source

Hi,

I'm very new to lua coding so please bare with me if you think I'm a complete moron.

I need to use data presented on a web page (DKP data) in my addon. Is there any way to collect this data on the fly from the web page (or sql server) or would the best way be to manually save data into a local file and parse it from there?

I want as few manual interactions as possible since DKP data is updated often so I can't distribute the data together with the addon.

Best Regards
08-30-08, 02:52 PM   #2
Mera
Retired of WoW, In ESO :)

Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by iggeigge View Post
Hi,

I'm very new to lua coding so please bare with me if you think I'm a complete moron.

I need to use data presented on a web page (DKP data) in my addon. Is there any way to collect this data on the fly from the web page (or sql server) or would the best way be to manually save data into a local file and parse it from there?

I want as few manual interactions as possible since DKP data is updated often so I can't distribute the data together with the addon.

Best Regards
no you cannot communicate directly from the wow client to the web applications this is for your own security this is not allowed but what most people are doing is coding an addon that will store datas in a file on your computer, and you upload this datas to your web application which will read it
Mera[xeh]? - La CroisadeEcarlate (wow)
08-30-08, 03:41 PM   #3
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by iggeigge View Post
Hi,

Best Regards
EQDKP use to support WoW, but I'm not sure if it does anymore. You'll need to have your own web site to install this, more than likely on a *nix server. You will also need the addon called CT RaidTracker in order to import from the game into EQDKP.

08-30-08, 04:16 PM   #4
iggeigge
A Defias Bandit
For now it seems like the best way to go is to dump data from the website to saved variables in some kind of webscript or 3rd party software.

Anyone know if there's a sql -> lua table script/software out there?

The dkp web softwares do it the other way around I assume (parse lua into sql) so should be possible to reverse them.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » Lua/XML Help » Use data from external source