05-29-09, 04:15 PM   #1
Apraxia
Clippy Crit Chicken

Premium Member
Exclamation WARNING: Clippy the CRIT CHICKEN crittin' the forum with a WALL OF TEXT

I've got a collection of a few issues I need some advice or help with and being that my most recent was me taking a stab at customizing my nUI layout to a more tweaked degree than normal I figure I'll just unload here... okay so lets begin: (I can get screen shots for all of this however can someone re-explain how to go about uploading those and using them through wowinterface.com?)

1. nUI absolutely just won't for the life of me reposition itself for my broker display bar! I came to a general conclusion that this might have something ultimately to do with the default code written to allow this was looking for Fubar or Titan Panel (or alternatively the plug-in for ninja-panel, which also didn't help). I use DockingStation (Display) http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info11831-DockingStationDisplay.html and nothing I've tried with get nUI to move it's arse for the damn thing. Here's things I've attempted:

- Installed and tried two different addon 'dummy bars' that attempt to produced a dummy'd fubar... neither worked.
- Tried to see if nUI would reposistion itself for two other bars besides dockingstation... one was chocolate panel the other was just attempting the dummy bar itself with nUI and no other bar. No avail
- Tried editing the ninjapanel.lua by changing it all to DockingStation (lolz cause I have no clue how to write lua).
- Tried 4 different test bars. each one seperately. 2 tried on the top of the display, 2 on the bottom. Each one tried once with DockingStation's 'allow movement of blizzard frames' either enabled or disabled.
- Lastly, I tried every combination of visability setting combo's and settings with the DOckingStation AND top console to see if that was it. Nei on both sides. Mouseover, on, smartmouse (on dockingstations end) none helped.

I'm telling you, when you spend a few hours getting into a bind like this and won't cease and desist to ask for help you really get yourself worked up... lol

2. The default scaling for my resolution settings is just BLIMPPPEDDDDified. I know and have for the most part switched to using the UI scaling in blizz's video options but it's becomming way to much of a pain cause more and more of the addons I use freak out in either a far to large or two small scale on THEIR end... which leads to then having to go (and hope the config even exists for it) to rescale those each individually... and that doesn't always play well some don't hold the scaling overide setting at all. Also, since tweaking for one such as nui means pissing most others each character that I have with different tweaked set ups to suit their class means having to redo it it over and over again for all of them aswell cause I'm finding far to little addons these days out there that still have a profile option to just copy settings from one toon to the next.

3. I FINALLY took a stab at making my own Skin for my nUI and it looks FREAKIN AWESOMEEEEEEE but BUT but the semi-transparent image/placeholder graphics on some of nUI's elements really are not giving me the effect i was going for. I wanted to ask before I touched anything default in nUI like that... is it okay to remove those or set it up to NOT use some of those graphics? If not/Or is it permissable for me to manually edit some of those images myself? (i.e. maybe some more transpariency, color shading, or even skinng them to match the UI so they blend it better?). Spekaing of doing my own skin/layout it leads into my last few ?'s...

4. So my skin I went with the allowing nUI to just flip the image for top and bottom, while I know the images by default are made be OVERLY large to allow for nUI's scaling and movement I did notice that while my bottom panel seemed to show reasonable and behave like any other skin the top one was displaying really only very very little of the top part of the flipped image. Say for example the 512 px hight, I'd image I was lucky if the top showed even 100 to 150 pixles...

5. Also in regards to the top console... I know and I've read your feelings on disabling or messing with some of nUI's core components in terms of moving them ect but I was wondering if in particular is their a way for me to keep the top console ACTIVE and shown but not necessarily remove but rather JUST HIDE the micro menu? My visualization is to have the top console graphic moved down to allow for my broker display but have the micromenu parsed into a databroker instead.... does this make sense?

Okay... my mind is reving telling me to pause and think of what else was going on I'd been putting off asking about but I think this is already to massive a wall of text and I'll let you pick at what you can here at your convience... thanks Scott (and any others input) for helping me out. nUI since the day i've started using it always have (and probably always WILL) be the first and foremost addon that I will insist on and make my centerport of my UI I hope always! Your the best!

05-29-09, 09:06 PM   #2
Carz
nUI User-Supporter

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Apraxia View Post

1. nUI absolutely just won't for the life of me reposition itself for my broker display bar! I came to a general conclusion that this might have something ultimately to do with the default code written to allow this was looking for Fubar or Titan Panel (or alternatively the plug-in for ninja-panel, which also didn't help). I use DockingStation (Display) http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info11831-DockingStationDisplay.html and nothing I've tried with get nUI to move it's arse for the damn thing. Here's things I've attempted:

!
here try this out and tell me if it works i just got done doing this addon
Attached Files
File Type: zip nUI_Integration_DockingStation (Display).zip (1.1 KB, 624 views)

05-29-09, 09:11 PM   #3
Apraxia
Clippy Crit Chicken

Premium Member
Originally Posted by Carz View Post
here try this out and tell me if it works i just got done doing this addon
lol zomg I did'nt expect someone to go so far and actually make a special integration for it... thanks a bunch!!! I will test this out in about 30 minutes ish and let you know ASAP! awesomesause!

05-29-09, 09:13 PM   #4
Carz
nUI User-Supporter

its no problem i kno some ppl that use that addon also but had to use NinjaPanel instead

05-29-09, 10:22 PM   #5
Apraxia
Clippy Crit Chicken

Premium Member
Originally Posted by Carz View Post
its no problem i kno some ppl that use that addon also but had to use NinjaPanel instead

Nooooo... error on log-in :/

Code:
Error:  attempt to index global 'DockingStationTop' (a nil value)
File: ...isplay)\nUI_Integration_DockingStation (Display).lua
Line: 11
Count: 1
...isplay)\nUI_Integration_DockingStation (Display).lua:35: in function <...isplay)\nUI_Integration_DockingStation (Display).lua:31>

05-29-09, 10:32 PM   #6
Carz
nUI User-Supporter

ok i'll get on it.... i dont use it so i really cant test it out

05-30-09, 03:10 AM   #7
Apraxia
Clippy Crit Chicken

Premium Member
Shortened, updated, and slightly revised of OP for customizing help by me:

1. Could someone explain that way of uploading your SS's to WoWinterface's site to post here again? Can't find it damnit.

2. Original hope in manipulating nUI's default support which adjusts for fubar the same way for what I use (Docking Station) seems to not be a possibility. So looking for feedback on how to manually edit my top panel to always if possible by default to load just slighty further down with that extra spacing.

3. nUI's default scaling on my resolution settings (1680x1050 widescreen) is absolutely HUGEEEEE. I realize and have been (frustrated though) instead reverting to working with the manual UI scale slider in blizz's video settings panel, but this is just pissing off two many other addons in WoW and MOST do not have their OWN scaling configurater to then go fix them as well to all be a decent size relevant to the whole UI. Suggestions? QQ think this might be a SoL issue but can't hurt to ask

2?'s directly to Scott: I just want to get a verbal yay or nei to 2 things I was wanting to toy with but wanted to get the clear from you first. One, is it okay to hide an entire frame element in the UI for the purposes of a customized layout but more so for certain skins ect? Example: I want to hide the whole micro menu on the top console, but DO NOT want the top console hidden or even on mouse over (I plan to have my broker bar at the top with the menu there) I still want the art and even the hud display change button clearly and always visable.

and second: My skin I did came out pretty cool, but it's not lookin so hawt with the way some of the anchoring or semitransparent placement graphics beneath some elements are done. Is it okay for me to either 1. hide those all together, or 2. add different colored hues to them manually to compliment or blend to the skin, or 3. Manually myself further enhance and add more transparency to them as to not stand out on my skin so badly?

Thanks in advance again guys.

05-30-09, 09:35 AM   #8
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
1. Manage Attachments when adding a post .. scroll down a bit to see the option. It then adds the image to the message itself.

2. Looking at the code I don't think there is a way to shift the Console Top Bars section down as it is designed to only move if there are bar addons specifically known ( Scott has nUI_Fubar.lua and nUI_TitanBar.lua ).

3. nUI Allows you to scale the hud and if individual elements of the screen dashboard (bottom) or console (top) need resizing this should be possible by tweaking some of the layout lua files.

You can try editing the nUI_Layout_Default_Console.lua file in nUI\Layouts\Default\ folder and setting the micromenu options to false to see what that does. Maybe that in conjunction to turning off the console display will do what you want. But I know Scott has designed the top bars ready for future growth to include the panel information like Titan or Fubar.

Shortened, updated, and slightly revised of OP for customizing help by me:

1. Could someone explain that way of uploading your SS's to WoWinterface's site to post here again? Can't find it damnit.

2. Original hope in manipulating nUI's default support which adjusts for fubar the same way for what I use (Docking Station) seems to not be a possibility. So looking for feedback on how to manually edit my top panel to always if possible by default to load just slighty further down with that extra spacing.

3. nUI's default scaling on my resolution settings (1680x1050 widescreen) is absolutely HUGEEEEE. I realize and have been (frustrated though) instead reverting to working with the manual UI scale slider in blizz's video settings panel, but this is just pissing off two many other addons in WoW and MOST do not have their OWN scaling configurater to then go fix them as well to all be a decent size relevant to the whole UI. Suggestions? QQ think this might be a SoL issue but can't hurt to ask.

2?'s directly to Scott: I just want to get a verbal yay or nei to 2 things I was wanting to toy with but wanted to get the clear from you first. One, is it okay to hide an entire frame element in the UI for the purposes of a customized layout but more so for certain skins ect? Example: I want to hide the whole micro menu on the top console, but DO NOT want the top console hidden or even on mouse over (I plan to have my broker bar at the top with the menu there) I still want the art and even the hud display change button clearly and always visable.

and second: My skin I did came out pretty cool, but it's not lookin so hawt with the way some of the anchoring or semitransparent placement graphics beneath some elements are done. Is it okay for me to either 1. hide those all together, or 2. add different colored hues to them manually to compliment or blend to the skin, or 3. Manually myself further enhance and add more transparency to them as to not stand out on my skin so badly?

Thanks in advance again guys.

05-30-09, 10:22 AM   #9
spiel2001
nUI's Author

Let me address moving the top bars first, then I'll reply to the other questions in a separate message.

You can move the top bars manually by editing [ Interface > AddOns > nUI > Main > nUI.xml ] -- this is one of the things that will change in the future as it's part of nUI that has not yet been incorporated into the layout engine.

In any event, you'll find the following section in the file...

Code:
<Frame name="nUI_TopBarsLocator" frameStrata="BACKGROUND" toplevel="false" parent="nUI_MasterFrame">
    <Anchors>
          <Anchor point="BOTTOM" relativeTo="nUI_MasterFrame" relativePoint="TOP" />
    </Anchors>
    <Size>
        <AbsDimension x="2560" y="2" />
    </Size>
</Frame>
Change it as follows...

Code:
<Frame name="nUI_TopBarsLocator" frameStrata="BACKGROUND" toplevel="false" parent="nUI_MasterFrame">
    <Anchors>
         <Anchor point="BOTTOM" relativeTo="nUI_MasterFrame" relativePoint="TOP">
               <Offset>
                   <AbsDimension x="0" y="0" />
              </Offset>
         </Anchor>
     </Anchors>
     <Size>
     </Size>
</Frame>
Where you see the y="0" highlighted, just tweak that to move the upper console up and down. Higher values of y move it up, negative values move it down.

What people don't get is that I am, ultimately, an artist at heart.
My brush has two colors, 1 and 0, and my canvas is made of silicon.

Official nUI Web Site: http://www.nUIaddon.com
Official nUI Support Forum: http://forums.nUIaddon.com
My day job: http://www.presidio.com/

Last edited by spiel2001 : 05-30-09 at 10:25 AM.

06-01-09, 07:35 PM   #10
Apraxia
Clippy Crit Chicken

Premium Member
I am starting to feel like something out there in the game interface editing world has it out for me and is getting a good laugh....

Nothing I've tried is changing anything. I tried all of this on my lvl 1 bank toon only addons enabled !improved error thingy and nUI. I deleted all previous saved variables for nUI. Still nada

... in my file of nUI.xml here is what you shall find. (I just went ahead and did the whole thing to make sure I am putting it exactly in the right spot). Highlighted in green is the section I worked with/edited per what I understood from Scott.

Code:
<Ui xmlns="http://www.blizzard.com/wow/ui" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">

<Script file="constants.lua"/>
    <Script file="localization.lua"/>
    <Script file="localization.deDE.lua"/>
    <Script file="localization.enGB.lua"/>
    <Script file="localization.esES.lua"/>
    <Script file="localization.frFR.lua"/>
    <Script file="localization.koKR.lua"/>
    <Script file="localization.ruRU.lua"/>
    <Script file="localization.zhCN.lua"/>
    <Script file="localization.zhTW.lua"/>

<Frame name="nUI_MasterFrame" parent="UIParent" resizable="true" frameStrata="BACKGROUND">
        <Anchors>
            <Anchor point="BOTTOMRIGHT" relativeTo="UIParent" relativePoint="BOTTOMRIGHT" />
            <Anchor point="BOTTOMLEFT" relativeTo="UIParent" relativePoint="BOTTOMLEFT" />
            <Anchor point="TOPRIGHT" relativeTo="UIParent" relativePoint="TOPRIGHT" />
            <Anchor point="TOPLEFT" relativeTo="UIParent" relativePoint="TOPLEFT" />
        </Anchors>
        <Frames>
            <Frame name="nUI_BottomBarsLocator" frameStrata="BACKGROUND" toplevel="false" parent="nUI_MasterFrame">
                <Anchors>
                    <Anchor point="TOP" relativeTo="nUI_MasterFrame" relativePoint="BOTTOM" />
                </Anchors>
                <Size>
                </Size>
            </Frame>
            <Frame name="nUI_BottomBars" frameStrata="BACKGROUND" toplevel="false" parent="nUI_MasterFrame"  frameLevel="1">
                <Anchors>
                    <Anchor point="TOP" relativeTo="nUI_BottomBarsLocator" relativePoint="TOP" />
                </Anchors>
                <Size>
                    <AbsDimension x="2560" y="512" />
                </Size>
                <Layers>
                    <Layer level="BACKGROUND">
                        <Texture name="nUI_BottomBars1" file="Interface\AddOns\nUI\Layouts\Default\Art\nUI_Dashboard1.blp" alphaMode="BLEND" frameLevel="1">
                            <Size>
                                <AbsDimension x="512" y="512" />
                            </Size>
                            <Anchors>
                                <Anchor point="BOTTOMRIGHT" relativePoint="BOTTOM">
                                    <Offset>
                                        <AbsDimension x="-768" y="0" />
                                    </Offset>
                                </Anchor>
                            </Anchors>
                            <TexCoords left="0" right="1.0" top="1" bottom="0"/>
                        </Texture>
                        <Texture name="nUI_BottomBars2" file="Interface\AddOns\nUI\Layouts\Default\Art\nUI_Dashboard2.blp" alphaMode="BLEND" frameLevel="1">
                            <Size>
                            </Size>
                            <Anchors>
                                    <Offset>
                                        <AbsDimension x="-256" y="0" />
                                    </Offset>
                                </Anchor>
                            </Anchors>
                        </Texture>
                        <Texture name="nUI_BottomBars3" file="Interface\AddOns\nUI\Layouts\Default\Art\nUI_Dashboard3.blp" alphaMode="BLEND" frameLevel="1">
                            <Size>
                            </Size>
                            <Anchors>
                                <Anchor point="BOTTOM" relativePoint="BOTTOM">
                                    <Offset>
                                    </Offset>
                                </Anchor>
                            </Anchors>
                        </Texture>
                        <Texture name="nUI_BottomBars4" file="Interface\AddOns\nUI\Layouts\Default\Art\nUI_Dashboard4.blp" alphaMode="BLEND" frameLevel="1">
                            <Size>
                            </Size>
                            <Anchors>
                                <Anchor point="BOTTOMLEFT" relativePoint="BOTTOM">
                                    <Offset>
                                        <AbsDimension x="256" y="0" />
                                    </Offset>
                                </Anchor>
                            </Anchors>
                        </Texture>
                        <Texture name="nUI_BottomBars5" file="Interface\AddOns\nUI\Layouts\Default\Art\nUI_Dashboard5.blp" alphaMode="BLEND" frameLevel="1">
                            <Size>
                            </Size>
                            <Anchors>
                                    <Offset>
                                        <AbsDimension x="768" y="0" />
                                    </Offset>
                                </Anchor>
                            </Anchors>
                        </Texture>
                    </Layer>
                </Layers>
            </Frame>
    <Anchors>
               <Offset>
                   <AbsDimension x="0" y="500" />
              </Offset>
         </Anchor>
     </Anchors>
     <Size>
     </Size>
</Frame>
            <Frame name="nUI_TopBars" frameStrata="BACKGROUND" toplevel="false" parent="nUI_MasterFrame" frameLevel="1">
                <Anchors>
                    <Anchor point="BOTTOM" relativeTo="nUI_TopBarsLocator" relativePoint="BOTTOM" />
                </Anchors>
                <Size>
                </Size>
                <Layers>
                        <Texture name="nUI_TopBars1" file="Interface\AddOns\nUI\Layouts\Default\Art\nUI_Console1.blp" alphaMode="BLEND" frameLevel="1">
                            <Size>
                            </Size>
                            <Anchors>
                                    <Offset>
                                    </Offset>
                                </Anchor>
                            </Anchors>
                        </Texture>
                        <Texture name="nUI_TopBars2" file="Interface\AddOns\nUI\Layouts\Default\Art\nUI_Console2.blp" alphaMode="BLEND" frameLevel="1">
                            <Size>
                            </Size>
                            <Anchors>
                                    <Offset>
                                    </Offset>
                                </Anchor>
                            </Anchors>
                        </Texture>
                        <Texture name="nUI_TopBars3" file="Interface\AddOns\nUI\Layouts\Default\Art\nUI_Console3.blp" alphaMode="BLEND" frameLevel="1">
                            <Size>
                            </Size>
                            <Anchors>
                                    <Offset>
                                    </Offset>
                                </Anchor>
                            </Anchors>
                        </Texture>
                        <Texture name="nUI_TopBars4" file="Interface\AddOns\nUI\Layouts\Default\Art\nUI_Console4.blp" alphaMode="BLEND" frameLevel="1">
                            <Size>
                            </Size>
                            <Anchors>
                                    <Offset>
                                    </Offset>
                                </Anchor>
                            </Anchors>
                        </Texture>
                        <Texture name="nUI_TopBars5" file="Interface\AddOns\nUI\Layouts\Default\Art\nUI_Console5.blp" alphaMode="BLEND" frameLevel="1">
                            <Size>
                            </Size>
                            <Anchors>
                                    <Offset>
                                    </Offset>
                                </Anchor>
                            </Anchors>
                        </Texture>
                    </Layer>
                </Layers>
            </Frame>
            <Frame name="nUI_Dashboard" frameStrata="BACKGROUND" toplevel="false" parent="nUI_MasterFrame" frameLevel="1">
                <Anchors>
                    <Anchor point="BOTTOM" relativeTo="nUI_BottomBarsLocator" relativePoint="BOTTOM" />
                </Anchors>
                <Size>
                </Size>
                <Layers>
                        <Texture name="nUI_Dashboard_Panel1" file="Interface\AddOns\nUI\Layouts\Default\Art\nUI_Dashboard1.blp" alphaMode="BLEND" frameLevel="1">
                            <Size>
                            </Size>
                            <Anchors>
                                    <Offset>
                                    </Offset>
                                </Anchor>
                            </Anchors>
                        </Texture>
                        <Texture name="nUI_Dashboard_Panel2" file="Interface\AddOns\nUI\Layouts\Default\Art\nUI_Dashboard2.blp" alphaMode="BLEND" frameLevel="1">
                            <Size>
                            </Size>
                            <Anchors>
                                    <Offset>
                                    </Offset>
                                </Anchor>
                            </Anchors>
                        </Texture>
                        <Texture name="nUI_Dashboard_Panel3" file="Interface\AddOns\nUI\Layouts\Default\Art\nUI_Dashboard3.blp" alphaMode="BLEND" frameLevel="1">
                            <Size>
                            </Size>
                            <Anchors>
                                    <Offset>
                                    </Offset>
                                </Anchor>
                            </Anchors>
                        </Texture>
                        <Texture name="nUI_Dashboard_Panel4" file="Interface\AddOns\nUI\Layouts\Default\Art\nUI_Dashboard4.blp" alphaMode="BLEND" frameLevel="1">
                            <Size>
                            </Size>
                            <Anchors>
                                    <Offset>
                                    </Offset>
                                </Anchor>
                            </Anchors>
                        </Texture>
                        <Texture name="nUI_Dashboard_Panel5" file="Interface\AddOns\nUI\Layouts\Default\Art\nUI_Dashboard5.blp" alphaMode="BLEND" frameLevel="1">
                            <Size>
                            </Size>
                            <Anchors>
                                    <Offset>
                                    </Offset>
                                </Anchor>
                            </Anchors>
                        </Texture>
                    </Layer>
                </Layers>
            </Frame>
        </Frames>
        <Scripts>
            <OnShow>
                WorldFrame:SetPoint( "BOTTOM", nUI_Dashboard, "CENTER", 0, 0 );
            </OnShow>
            <OnHide>
                WorldFrame:SetPoint( "BOTTOM", nUI_Dashboard, "BOTTOM", 0, 0 );
            </OnHide>
        </Scripts>
    </Frame>
    <Frame name="nUI_SplashFrame" parent="UIParent">
        <Size>
            <AbsDimension x="625" y="368" />
        </Size>
        <Anchors>
            <Anchor point="CENTER" relativeTo="UIParent">
                <Offset>
                </Offset>
            </Anchor>
        </Anchors>
        <Backdrop bgFile="Interface\DialogFrame\UI-DialogBox-Background" edgeFile="Interface\DialogFrame\UI-DialogBox-Border" tile="true">
            <BackgroundInsets>
                <AbsInset left="11" right="12" top="12" bottom="11" />
            </BackgroundInsets>
            <TileSize>
                <AbsValue val="32" />
            </TileSize>
            <EdgeSize>
                <AbsValue val="32" />
            </EdgeSize>
        </Backdrop>
        <Layers>
            <Layer>
                <Texture name="$parentTitleBorder" hidden="true" file="Interface\DialogFrame\UI-DialogBox-Header">
                    <Size>
                        <AbsDimension x="160" y="32" />
                    </Size>
                    <Anchors>
                        <Anchor point="TOP">
                            <Offset>
                                <AbsDimension x="0" y="5" />
                            </Offset>
                        </Anchor>
                    </Anchors>
                    <TexCoords left="0.2" right="0.8" top="0" bottom="0.6" />
                </Texture>
                <FontString name="$parentTitleString" hidden="true" font="Fonts\FRIZQT__.TTF">
                    <Size>
                        <AbsDimension x="140" y="0" />
                    </Size>
                    <Anchors>
                        <Anchor point="TOP">
                            <Offset>
                                <AbsDimension x="0" y="-4" />
                            </Offset>
                        </Anchor>
                    </Anchors>
                    <FontHeight>
                        <AbsValue val="12" />
                    </FontHeight>
                    <Color r="1" g="0.8196079" b="0" />
                    <Shadow>
                        <Color r="0" g="0" b="0" />
                        <Offset>
                            <AbsDimension x="1" y="-1" />
                        </Offset>
                    </Shadow>
                </FontString>
            </Layer>
        </Layers>
        <Frames>
            <Button name="nUI_Splash_Button" inherits="UIPanelCloseButton">
                <Size>
                    <AbsDimension x="100" y="70" />
                </Size>
                <Anchors>
                    <Anchor point="TOPLEFT">
                        <Offset>
                            <AbsDimension x="260" y="-290" />
                        </Offset>
                    </Anchor>
                </Anchors>
            </Button>
            <Frame name="$parentPanel1">
                <Size>
                    <AbsDimension x="558" y="118" />
                </Size>
                <Anchors>
                    <Anchor point="TOPLEFT">
                        <Offset>
                            <AbsDimension x="36" y="-27" />
                        </Offset>
                    </Anchor>
                </Anchors>
                <Backdrop bgFile="Interface\Tooltips\UI-Tooltip-Background" edgeFile="Interface\Tooltips\UI-Tooltip-Border" tile="true">
                    <BackgroundInsets>
                        <AbsInset left="5" right="5" top="5" bottom="5" />
                    </BackgroundInsets>
                    <TileSize>
                        <AbsValue val="16" />
                    </TileSize>
                    <EdgeSize>
                        <AbsValue val="16" />
                    </EdgeSize>
                </Backdrop>
                <Frames>
                    <Frame name="$parentTitle">
                        <Size>
                            <AbsDimension x="552" y="112" />
                        </Size>
                        <Anchors>
                            <Anchor point="TOPLEFT">
                                <Offset>
                                    <AbsDimension x="3" y="-3" />
                                </Offset>
                            </Anchor>
                        </Anchors>
                        <Layers>
                            <Layer>
                                <FontString name="nUI_Splash_Title" font="Fonts\FRIZQT__.TTF" text="">
                                    <Anchors>
                                        <Anchor point="TOPLEFT" />
                                        <Anchor point="BOTTOMRIGHT" />
                                    </Anchors>
                                    <FontHeight>
                                        <AbsValue val="18" />
                                    </FontHeight>
                                    <Shadow>
                                        <Offset>
                                        </Offset>
                                    </Shadow>
                                </FontString>
                            </Layer>
                        </Layers>
                    </Frame>
                </Frames>
            </Frame>
            <Frame name="$parentMessage">
                <Size>
                    <AbsDimension x="552" y="151" />
                </Size>
                <Anchors>
                    <Anchor point="TOPLEFT">
                        <Offset>
                            <AbsDimension x="39" y="-148" />
                        </Offset>
                    </Anchor>
                </Anchors>
                <Layers>
                    <Layer>
                        <FontString name="nUI_Splash_Message" font="Fonts\FRIZQT__.TTF" text="" justifyH="LEFT">
                            <Anchors>
                                <Anchor point="TOPLEFT" />
                                <Anchor point="BOTTOMRIGHT" />
                            </Anchors>
                            <FontHeight>
                                <AbsValue val="15" />
                            </FontHeight>
                            <Shadow>
                                <Offset>
                                </Offset>
                            </Shadow>
                        </FontString>
                    </Layer>
                </Layers>
            </Frame>
        </Frames>
    </Frame>

<Script file="nUI.lua"/>
    <Script file="nUI_Splash.lua"/>
    <Script file="nUI_DevLine.lua"/>

</Ui>
You'll notice that I have the value 500 in there... that's because I got so frustrated with every value I tried not doing anything I began trying more extreme values just to see if I could get any result. I tried -5, -50, 5, 10, 50, and lastly 500 lol.

Absolutely nothing made any sort of change

halp! Want to pull my hair out. QQ

here is a screen shot with the current values you see. Everything ... normal :/

Originally Posted by spiel2001 View Post
Let me address moving the top bars first, then I'll reply to the other questions in a separate message.

You can move the top bars manually by editing [ Interface > AddOns > nUI > Main > nUI.xml ] -- this is one of the things that will change in the future as it's part of nUI that has not yet been incorporated into the layout engine.

In any event, you'll find the following section in the file...

Code:
    <Anchors>
          <Anchor point="BOTTOM" relativeTo="nUI_MasterFrame" relativePoint="TOP" />
    </Anchors>
    <Size>
    </Size>
</Frame>
Change it as follows...

Code:
    <Anchors>
               <Offset>
              </Offset>
         </Anchor>
     </Anchors>
     <Size>
     </Size>
</Frame>
Where you see the y="0" highlighted, just tweak that to move the upper console up and down. Higher values of y move it up, negative values move it down.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WoWScrnShot_060109_182029.jpg
Views:	720
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	2771  

06-01-09, 08:42 PM   #11
spiel2001
nUI's Author

~blush~

Umm.... hasn't anyone told you that you should never follow my directions. You seem to be under the misguided notion that just because I wrote it, I might have a clue what I'm talking about. You clearly do not understand that I'm old and adled and while I can remember what I did in 1975, I have no clue what I did an hour ago.

I gave you bad directions because I *completely* forgot about a section of code I added when I added the support for changing the dashboard graphics.

You need to edit [ Interface > AddOns > nUI > Main > nUI.lua ] where you will find the following at about line 130...

Code:
nUI_TopBars.Anchor = CreateFrame( "Frame", "$parent_Anchor", nUI_TopBars );
nUI_TopBarsLocator:SetPoint( "BOTTOM", UIParent, "TOP", 0, 0 );
nUI_TopBars:SetPoint( "BOTTOM", nUI_TopBarsLocator, "BOTTOM", 0, -130 );
nUI_TopBars.Anchor:SetPoint( "BOTTOM", nUI_TopBars, "BOTTOM", 0, 0 );
The number in red is the one you need to edit to move the bars up and down.

05-30-09, 10:46 AM   #12
spiel2001
nUI's Author

3. nUI's default scaling on my resolution settings (1680x1050 widescreen) is absolutely HUGEEEEE. I realize and have been (frustrated though) instead reverting to working with the manual UI scale slider in blizz's video settings panel, but this is just pissing off two many other addons in WoW and MOST do not have their OWN scaling configurater to then go fix them as well to all be a decent size relevant to the whole UI. Suggestions? QQ think this might be a SoL issue but can't hurt to ask
The "Use UI Scale" option in the video interface section has *no* affect on nUI. Or it shouldn't. When you change that scale and then reload your UI, nUI should recalculate its layout scale and come out looking exactly like it did before you changed the scale. The *only* thing that video option affects is the Blizzard screen elements like quest log, vendor and quest giver frames, character sheet, etc... the windows and dialogs that nUI does not manage.

I'm not sure why nUI's scale is "HUGE" unless you're using a large monitor. In any event, you should only use the "Use UI Scale" slider to modify the scale of the things nUI *isn't* responible for to size them the way you want them. To scale nUI itself, you should be using the built in features for scaling like '/nui hud scale {n}' '/nui hud hgap {n}' and '/nui bagscale {n}' which will size the primary elements.

Changing the scaling of the dashboard, itself, is another matter. However, there's already a FAQ that deals with that in painful detail at http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=20917

2?'s directly to Scott
: I just want to get a verbal yay or nei to 2 things I was wanting to toy with but wanted to get the clear from you first. One, is it okay to hide an entire frame element in the UI for the purposes of a customized layout but more so for certain skins ect? Example: I want to hide the whole micro menu on the top console, but DO NOT want the top console hidden or even on mouse over (I plan to have my broker bar at the top with the menu there) I still want the art and even the hud display change button clearly and always visable.
Generally speaking, yes it is okay to hide screen elements. The simple display of screen elements is generally not tied to their functionality other than the obvious, if it isn't displayed, you can't see the functionality. There are a couple of exceptions to that... the special bars and the main action bar being the two key ones. Not displaying those has side effects that would break other functionality in nUI.

If you comment out the section that lays out the micromenu in [ Interface > AddOns > nUI > Layouts > Default > nUI_Layout_Default_Console.lua ], I suspect it wouldn't break anything. Not a promise, but I don't think it would.

[quote]and second: My skin I did came out pretty cool, but it's not lookin so hawt with the way some of the anchoring or semitransparent placement graphics beneath some elements are done. Is it okay for me to either 1. hide those all together, or 2. add different colored hues to them manually to compliment or blend to the skin, or 3. Manually myself further enhance and add more transparency to them as to not stand out on my skin so badly?[quote]

You can modify the graphics that are used in nUI to your heart's content. I do *not* recommend replacing the graphics included with nUI as that can have all kinds of side effects. Rather, you can edit the skin files and change the references in them to use the graphics you want to use instead of the ones that come with nUI.

For example, if you wanted to lose or change the transparent backgrond behind the player and player pet unit frames in the solo unit panel, you would edit [ Interface > AddOns > nUI > Layouts > Default > UnitPanels > Solo > nUI_UnitPanel_Solo.lua ] where you will find this...
Code:
        [nUI_UNITFRAME_SOLOPLAYER] = 
        {
            anchor = 
            {
                anchor_pt   = "TOPLEFT",
                relative_to = "$parent",
                relative_pt = "CENTER",
                xOfs        = -570,
                yOfs        = 53,
            },
            options = 
            {
                skinName  = nUI_UNITSKIN_SOLOPLAYER,
                enabled   = true,

strata    = nil,
                level     = 3,

unit_id   = "player",
                party_id  = nil,
                raid_id      = nil,

scale     = 1,
                clickable = true,

popup =
                {
                    anchor_pt = "BOTTOMRIGHT",
                    relative_pt = "CENTER",
                    xOfs = 0,
                    yOfs = 0,

color = { r = 0, g = 0, b = 0, a = 0.75 },
                };

background =
                {
                    backdrop =
                    {
                        bgFile   = "Interface\\AddOns\\nUI\\Layouts\\Default\\Art\\nUI_BevelboxBg.blp", 
                        edgeFile = "Interface\\AddOns\\nUI\\Layouts\\Default\\Art\\nUI_BevelboxBorder.blp", 
                        tile     = true, 
                        tileSize = 1, 
                        edgeSize = 12, 
                        insets   = { left = 0, right = 0, top = 0, bottom = 0 },
                    },

color =
                    {
                        border = { r = 1, g = 1, b = 1, a = 1 },
                        backdrop = { r = 0, g = 0, b = 0, a = 0.35 },
                    },
                },
            },
        },
If you remove or comment out the "background = {}" section, that will entirely remove the transparent background behind those unit frames. On ther other hand, you could tweak the "a=" elements of the border and the backdrop colors to change their level of transparency or change the "bgFile" and "edgeFile" textures to use entirely different artwork.

This is true of pretty much every piece of artwork used in nUI... the bar textures, borders, backgrounds, etc. You just have to find the correct location and make the changes you want.

Ultimately, this is exactly what's intended for nUI is the ability to do this to create custom alterante skins. At first using hand edits and later using GUI tools. However, until I finish the layout engine and the ability to save custom alternate skins, you're stuck with having to do it inside the files nUI provides. Later you'll be able to create a copy of them and hack away at them to your heart's content.

05-31-09, 01:50 AM   #13
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member

I'm not sure why nUI's scale is "HUGE" unless you're using a large monitor. In any event, you should only use the "Use UI Scale" slider to modify the scale of the things nUI *isn't* responible for to size them the way you want them. To scale nUI itself, you should be using the built in features for scaling like '/nui hud scale {n}' '/nui hud hgap {n}' and '/nui bagscale {n}' which will size the primary elements.
Hmm, I'm not sure why but I believe my US PC had that similar problem and I could never figure it out when I was there a few months back. The Bottom Dashboard seemed to take up the bottom half of the screen. Never got round at the time to figure out the slash commands to change settings until I got back here. The screen here is fine and the dashboard is reasonably small on the screen. I think the screen in the US was something like a 22inch widescreen ( I think 1600x1200 or some figures around those ) whereas this one is about 17inch normal screen (1280x1024). Not sure if that will help identify why some are too big and others are small.

05-31-09, 01:59 AM   #14
Vis
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Here's what mine looks like for comparison.....22" Widescreen 1680x1050 resolution, in game UI Scale set to minimum as a preference. nUI+ default sizing with the gloss black layout.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	WoWScrnShot_053109_035718.jpg
Views:	729
Size:	380.4 KB
ID:	2750  

05-31-09, 02:21 AM   #15
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Here's my 17in 1280x1024 for comparison - rofl.

When I heard that I had had my US monitor upgraded (my fiance wanted a bigger one to use when Im not there of course ) I thought cool .. more room to play with .. nope, the interface seemed to be bigger and looking at your image Vis it looks like the size of the monitor is the cause of the over sized screen I was dealing with. I was expecting the dashboard and top panel to stay the same with the central part of the screen being increased.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	WoWScrnShot_052909_025246.jpg
Views:	748
Size:	440.1 KB
ID:	2751  

Last edited by Xrystal : 05-31-09 at 02:24 AM.

06-02-09, 04:09 PM   #16
Apraxia
Clippy Crit Chicken

Premium Member
Originally Posted by spiel2001 View Post
the special bars and the main action bar being the two key ones. Not displaying those has side effects that would break other functionality in nUI.
Just so I'm clear before I go break something...

by 'main action bar' you mean the action bar displayed with the ability to toggle up or down through bars.

by 'special bars' I'm assuming you mean the bars linked to ontop of rep/exp with frame/panel buttons to the side?

Please correct if I'm off on any of those.

Also I'm a druid, particularly a moonkin. The greatest nUI bar confuzzlizms class their is (yeah it took like a week first using nUI to figure out wtf was going on with my moonkin bar and all it's display spots lol).

1. Can my shapeshift bar be hidden, moved, funked about, without causing damage to nUI?

2. The moonkin bar is pretty repetetive for me being off on the bottom right and also in sight upon transformation. Is there anything I can screw with on this that won't hurt nUi?

I just want to make sure I'm clear on which individual elements I can really play with and not either A. break something ... or B. end up tweaking something that doesn't break nUI but is not something you WANTED tweaked with and incidently starting a wild fire of response 'zomg I want to tweak that toooo'.

06-02-09, 04:16 PM   #17
spiel2001
nUI's Author

Yes... the main action bar is the one you can scroll through the 6 pages.

The "special bars" includes you shapeshift bar... as well as the possession bar which you need for a lot of quests and such as well as vehicles and pets and as such should not be hidden. You can, however, move it anywhere you like using '/nui movers'

Any of the rest of the bars, including the one at the bottom right, can be gotten rid of entirely without consequence.

08-02-09, 08:38 PM   #18
Baraius
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Not to necro-raise this thread but... :-)

Did anyone ever succesfully get Docking Station with Top and Bottom bars to work succesfully with nUI?

I managed to move the top down using the information in this thread but never succeeded in moving the bottom up.

I tried to get used to Titan, which is super cool, but:
a) Need an LDB display, and
b) Miss my Fubar-like control over layout that DockingStation provides.

-Baraius

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » nUI, MozzFullWorldMap and PartySpotter » Customization » nUI: Customizing Layouts » WARNING: Clippy the CRIT CHICKEN crittin' the forum with a WALL OF TEXT