05-10-07, 03:32 PM   #1
jaymunee80
A Murloc Raider
Ingame leveling guide

For those chronic rerollers (such as I :/) who find themselves trying every new race or every class, what if someone were to make a UI mod with an ingame guide. It would be a 3-window addon with the first being an index, the second being the actual quest text, and the third being a map. You click on your zone/level on the far left, in the middle it shows you the quests. The guide could be either one of the popular ones such as Jame's or possibly Crypt's, or custom made by users like me and you.

It sounds like it would be a simple mod, but if it was as simple as I thought, I think I could have actually done it .

Thanks in advance for any feedback and such.
Sorry, hopefully you can understand, in the process of making a mock up.
05-10-07, 03:37 PM   #2
Korred
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
There's a printable / online guide over on curse gaming. Just print the copy out. Don't need to bog your interface down with extra stuff... I have mine printed and did that. Did 60 - 70 in less than 5 days play time. THought that wasn't bad
05-10-07, 03:39 PM   #3
Geboran
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard
Originally Posted by Korred
There's a printable / online guide over on curse gaming. Just print the copy out. Don't need to bog your interface down with extra stuff... I have mine printed and did that. Did 60 - 70 in less than 5 days play time. THought that wasn't bad
Nice!!

I've not really seen a section devoted to leveling guides and such on the Curse Gaming site. Could you provide a link?
Stormreaver (US), Alliance
05-10-07, 04:17 PM   #4
Korred
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Sorry, my memory is failing,

It appears it is a horde 60 - 70 leveling guide and not a 1-60. There are several around the internet but yes they do cost though my understanding is they are quite wroth it.

Good luck and sorry for getting your hopes up.
05-10-07, 04:18 PM   #5
Korred
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
http://wow-en.curse-gaming.com/wiki/...orde-leveling/

That guide btw is horder in game guide. It will put notes on your map for quest objectives.
05-10-07, 04:55 PM   #6
jaymunee80
A Murloc Raider
Yeah, this is similar to what I was looking at. But I found a private version of it, apparently some guild made it a while back, and its double-super-secret guild only.
This one uses Joanna's guide.

http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/1561/lol1rl.jpg

If someone could make this, .
05-10-07, 05:12 PM   #7
Cogwheel
Sans Poisson

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by jaymunee80
This one uses Joanna's guide.
Which is probably exactly why it's double-super-secret guild only since it's a blatant copyright violation unless they made every person who downloads it buy a copy of joanna's guide...
05-10-07, 05:16 PM   #8
Industrial
A Fallenroot Satyr

Actually what part of that guide is licensed? You surely cant license the steps Joana takes, or can you?
05-10-07, 05:20 PM   #9
Cogwheel
Sans Poisson

Originally Posted by Industrial
Actually what part of that guide is licensed? You surely cant license the steps Joana takes, or can you?
Not the steps themselves, but the text... the actual verbiage itself is copyrighted. There may still be some issues with derivative works if someone were to go through and simply reword each step...
05-10-07, 06:44 PM   #10
jaymunee80
A Murloc Raider
And thus, I would try to use one that is publically available, such as Haunted, and perhaps I can ask Crypt or Jame for the ability to use theirs. Thats just what the addon should work like
05-10-07, 07:10 PM   #11
Blighte
A Defias Bandit
there is something called "free use" in copyright law that is well know and often abused on both sides. Are they making any money on the use of the Ui/Guide? Then I would highly doubt that it is in copyright violation.
05-10-07, 07:37 PM   #12
tintingurl
A Frostmaul Preserver

thier is one that is free to use and print:

http://www.wow-pro.com/node/599

has horde and Alliance up to 60 i think. i have been using it for my horde blood elf and its working great(she 37 in three weeks, could have went faster but not on as much as some)

hope it helps
05-10-07, 08:02 PM   #13
jaymunee80
A Murloc Raider
^^^ Thanks, this request is for an addon that you can view ingame, so you don't have to print out 100 pages per faction (thats about how many the good ones are). And in this way, you can look at the maps side by side, or look at the coords right there on your screen. Its basically laziness I guess :P.
05-11-07, 07:54 AM   #14
Cogwheel
Sans Poisson

Originally Posted by Blighte
there is something called "free use" in copyright law that is well know and often abused on both sides. Are they making any money on the use of the Ui/Guide? Then I would highly doubt that it is in copyright violation.
Actually, it's "fair" not "free" and only covers specific kinds of uses (which have little to do with whether you profit from them). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use
05-25-07, 05:35 AM   #15
Nitogs
Silent

Premium Member
There is a really good Alliance guide out there Jame's Alliance Leveling Guide its found through google and free. 31-60 I mean lets face it 1-30 is Zzzz easy

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Ingame leveling guide