12-09-06, 03:21 PM   #1
ayradyss
A Theradrim Guardian

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
GetItemInfo()

Anyone know if there's a function to extract enchant info from an itemID like there is for items? GetItemInfo() doesn't seem to actually work for enchants...
12-09-06, 03:46 PM   #2
Nymbia
A Fallenroot Satyr
Originally Posted by ayradyss
Anyone know if there's a function to extract enchant info from an itemID like there is for items? GetItemInfo() doesn't seem to actually work for enchants...
Well, the very nature of an item id implies that there's no attached enchant data. If you have a chat link or item hyperlink, enchant data is stored in a field of the item data string.

So really, the question becomes: which items are you wanting enchant info from?

(or maybe I've misunderstood your question and you really mean chat links for the actual enchants, in which case,
Code:
local _,_, id = string.find(link, "enchant:(%d+)")
will pluck an enchant id out of an enchant link for you.)
12-09-06, 04:24 PM   #3
Tekkub
A Molten Giant

Are you after the information about an enchant spell (the trade window tooltip), or info on the enchant on an item from it's itemlink?

If it's the former, you have to parse the tooltip from GameTooltip:SetHyperlink()

If it's the latter, one of the ints in the itemstring is the enchant. You can find a full list on WoWWiki.
12-11-06, 07:12 PM   #4
ayradyss
A Theradrim Guardian

Clarification :)

GetItemInfo(itemid) returns the item name and link, among various and sundry other data - meaning that for any item in local cache I need only the item ID to generate a link or the name.

Unfortunately, this doesn't work for enchant:## id's. GetItemInfo() returns nil regardless of whether I've seen the enchant link itself.

I'm working on database efficiency for RecipeBook here, and trying to avoid storing the full name and link of the items.

For example: I can store 2582 - and when needed, assuming local cache, generate both the name "Green Woolen Vest" and the link "|cffffffff|Hitem:2582:0:0:0:0:0:0:0|h[Green Woolen Vest]|h|r" using GetItemInfo(2582).
I cannot store 7857 and generate "|cffffffff|Henchant:7857|h[Enchant Chest - Health]|h|r" even if I've seen/possess/can do the enchantment. Even if I generate a tooltip from "enchant:7857" I have to parse the tooltip and create my own name and link for the item rather than being able to use a Blizzard function.

I want to be able to store 7857 and do the same for enchantments that I am for items.
12-11-06, 11:27 PM   #5
Tekkub
A Molten Giant

Hrm... well the real question is, is there ever a chance that setting an enchant tooltip will cause a disconnect, like setting a bad item tooltip can? If no, then you should be safe to save the id's and grab what you need out of a tooltip.

Also, in the past I've seen the client "autocomplete" partial item links. You don't always need the full link including color and name, just sending the partial link would fill it in. Perhaps the same can be done with enchant links? I'll test tonight.
12-12-06, 07:21 PM   #6
ayradyss
A Theradrim Guardian

A good thought. I'll have to look into it.
12-13-06, 08:07 PM   #7
sivarak
A Defias Bandit
is there a command to show item id?

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » GetItemInfo()