04-21-09, 10:48 AM   #21
Spiderkeg
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by tinyu View Post
Yeah WoWUI does have a lot of old mods some of which havnt been updated in quite a while, in some cases over 2 years.

Sometime soon though i will be going on a major purge of the WoWUI mods and deleting any mod that hasn't been updated for WotLK, BUT i will be giving due notice for authors before i begin so that they can either update it or at the very least post a comment on the mod page stating that it does work.

Im pretty sure some mods even though they are very out dated they still may work (not very well though).
Ouch, purging. What if the author isn't around, but the mod is still good, or at least, salvageable?
04-21-09, 11:19 AM   #22
Scalebane
A Fallenroot Satyr

Lothaer Good stuff man, i think this is an important move.

i was one who was also put off from WOWUI for awhile but have recently started downloading mods from the site again.

you all actually do have a pretty good site =)
04-21-09, 01:15 PM   #23
tinyu
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Spiderkeg View Post
Ouch, purging. What if the author isn't around, but the mod is still good, or at least, salvageable?
like i said ill make sure that there is a post on the wowui main site alerting the community about 2-3 weeks before i go on the purge and i will be starting with the most out of date mods first, im not go delete them all in one day its gonna take me awhile to go through the list.

Originally Posted by Scalebane View Post
Lothaer Good stuff man, i think this is an important move.

i was one who was also put off from WOWUI for awhile but have recently started downloading mods from the site again.

you all actually do have a pretty good site =)
thank you very much for the comment.
04-21-09, 02:02 PM   #24
acapela
A Cobalt Mageweaver
Aloft/AloftCastWarning

anyone who wants to incorporate Aloft into a compilation, intact with the CREDITS.txt, CHANGELOG_WOWACE.txt, and lgpl-3.0.txt files intact, is free to do so.

when i took over as maintainer of Aloft, i selected WoWInterface as the host specifically for two reasons: a) their ease of use (SVN, web site, etc, all have been wonderfully easy to work with), and b) at the time, they were the only "major" addon site that had a functioning auto-updater (WoWAce was going away, Curse's updater was not working very well, and WoWUI did not have one).

WoWI's role as the only "major" site with an available auto-updater has now sort of flip-flopped with Curse, but i gather the new updater from WoWI is due "any day now" (the sooner, the better; maintaining a custom UI is time-consuming without one). when i get the time, i do want to start uploading to Curse (assuming the web-level ease of use is now there; their new auto-updater is certainly very nice, turned around completely since Kaelten took over). if WoWUI had a reliable auto-updater of some sort, i would certainly be willing to consider uploading/maintaining there as well.

currently, it doesn't look like anything related to Aloft is present on WoWUI, so no worries in terms of expunging some obsolete version.

my $0.02.
Zippy said it best: "All life is a BLUR of Republicans and Meat!"

Last edited by acapela : 04-21-09 at 02:05 PM.
04-21-09, 08:54 PM   #25
tinyu
A Molten Giant

there is a auto updater in development for WoWUI, its just taking some time as there are a few more pressing matter for the devs to do first.
04-26-09, 08:08 AM   #26
tinyu
A Molten Giant

i know bumping for the sake of bumping is a bad idea but i believe this thread needs it.
04-26-09, 09:50 AM   #27
Satrina
A Cyclonian
You could probably delete
http://wowui.incgamers.com/?p=mod&m=1503
http://wowui.incgamers.com/?p=mod&m=1504

They're almost 3 years out of date, yet the counts show people downloading them this week O_o. There's no possible way that version of SBF even functions.
04-26-09, 09:57 AM   #28
Sythalin
Curse staff

My mods are off limits for WoWUI, current and future. And yes, it is personal (not against you Lothie ).
04-26-09, 02:28 PM   #29
tinyu
A Molten Giant

ive known that for along time Chaos
04-26-09, 02:30 PM   #30
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
/hijack on

Hey Loth, has the info Kaelten been supplying you guys enough, or do you want/need to talk to Dolby and/or Shirik as well? Remember, our implementation is slightly different.

/hijack off
04-26-09, 04:13 PM   #31
Phanx
Cat.

Anything on this list:
http://www.wowinterface.com/list.php?skinnerid=28751

In particular, I see unathorized "fan updates" of Titan Factions pop up fairly frequently, and the ancient original version from Corgi can be removed as well, as I took it over (with his permission) years ago. I'm actually not sure why that version is still on WoWUI, as when I took over the addon I had ownership of the project transferred to me. It seems to have reappeared at some point since I removed all of my addons from WoWUI about a year ago.

As to why I stopped hosting my addons on WoWUI, keeping up with comments, bug reports, feature requests, and updating on three different sites was just too much. Since WoWUI was by far the least usable site (the dim greenish color scheme, tiny font sizes, and extremely cramped layout on the update page made it difficult and uncomfortable to use with visual impairments) and had the lowest download counts, it was the logical choice to cut.
04-26-09, 08:38 PM   #32
tinyu
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Phanx View Post
Anything on this list:
http://www.wowinterface.com/list.php?skinnerid=28751

In particular, I see unathorized "fan updates" of Titan Factions pop up fairly frequently, and the ancient original version from Corgi can be removed as well, as I took it over (with his permission) years ago. I'm actually not sure why that version is still on WoWUI, as when I took over the addon I had ownership of the project transferred to me. It seems to have reappeared at some point since I removed all of my addons from WoWUI about a year ago.

As to why I stopped hosting my addons on WoWUI, keeping up with comments, bug reports, feature requests, and updating on three different sites was just too much. Since WoWUI was by far the least usable site (the dim greenish color scheme, tiny font sizes, and extremely cramped layout on the update page made it difficult and uncomfortable to use with visual impairments) and had the lowest download counts, it was the logical choice to cut.
cheers for the post Phanx, ill get onto it later on tonight, when i get home from work .

Originally Posted by Cairenn View Post
/hijack on

Hey Loth, has the info Kaelten been supplying you guys enough, or do you want/need to talk to Dolby and/or Shirik as well? Remember, our implementation is slightly different.

/hijack off
ill have a chat to Rush about this, i know hes been running around like a headless chook trying to get things sorted, if he say's he needs more info ill get him to get in touch with either Dolby or Shirik.
04-29-09, 05:07 PM   #33
Sythalin
Curse staff

Originally Posted by tinyu View Post
ive known that for along time Chaos
LIES!

Just stating for the record.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » Who dosnt want their mods hosted on WoWUI?