10-27-09, 09:33 PM   #1
Pa4doX
A Murloc Raider
FPS drop using NUI+

This may or may not be a bug but in say 25man TOC I would get anywhere from 25-30 FPS during any given fight, even with my graphics dummed down to almost nothing, I drop to below 10fps, when I disable Nui, things are fine.

any sugguestions?

btw im running a MBP unibody, 9600m 512mb

10-27-09, 10:11 PM   #2
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I got the same with my 7600 graphics card. What you have to think of is that even though nUI is a single addon it handles a hell of a lot of information. What I did find that helped is that whenever I didn't need to see the raid window full of bars I switched to party mode. That helped raise the fps in 25 mans for me at any rate.

Someone actually posted somewhere here that when they installed all the addons to get the same information and set up the way nUI has without nUI he had the same memory problems. So, nUI itself isn't the fault but instead the amount of information that addons to that degree need to handle at any given time.

Hopefully though in 6.0 things will be better in that regards.

Characters:
Gwynedda - 70 - Demon Warlock
Galaviel - 65 - Resto Druid
Gamaliel - 61 - Disc Priest
Gwynytha - 60 - Survival Hunter
Lienae - 60 - Resto Shaman
Plus several others below level 60

Info Panel IDs : http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...818#post136818

10-27-09, 10:22 PM   #3
Pa4doX
A Murloc Raider
I configured a UI that looked similar to Nui+ and my FPS is fine. put Nui+ in the picture and my FPS goes to ****. while I understand a drop in FPS is normal but not down to less than 9 FPS and sometimes causes me to DC in raid.

10-28-09, 04:08 AM   #4
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

You can easily create one that looks the same. The issue is whether or not its processing the same information. I can make a UI that looks exactly like nUi but it wont have nearly the same level of information or functionality. Its all a matter of what you are after data wise.

Also as a rather important footnote Scott is aware of some folks having major FPS issues and it is something he is looking in to for 6.0, which is a near if not total rewrite of nUI from the ground up.

If you are unable to get the performance you are after I would suggest waiting it out for the new version.

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor

10-28-09, 04:22 AM   #5
spiel2001
nUI's Author

The FPS drop that some people experience is a known issue and in large part the motivation for the re-write that is nUI6. There are, however, a few things you can try to address the problem which does work for many people.

For starters, have a look at this FAQ: http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=21716

If that doesn't fix it then you are one of the lucky ones who is suffering from the complexity of the update logic that is in the current version of nUI. You can work around it by not using the 25 and 40 man raid panels which are doing so much work particularly in the buff/debuff section where it is tracking hundreds of auras at a time. If you use the solo, party or 10 man frame you'll see much better performance.

In the meantime, I am working on nUI6 which will (hopefully) address this problem for everyone.

What people don't get is that I am, ultimately, an artist at heart.
My brush has two colors, 1 and 0, and my canvas is made of silicon.

Official nUI Web Site: http://www.nUIaddon.com
Official nUI Support Forum: http://forums.nUIaddon.com
My day job: http://www.presidio.com/

10-28-09, 04:43 AM   #6
gothicknight
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
I have had this issue in the past, but since i went back to the lite version of nUI, i have had really good FPS. with the Vuhdo/Grid panel plugins, i don't need the raid frames in nUI.

Hopefully v6 will show more improvements.

Thanx for the great work Scott.

10-28-09, 11:45 AM   #7
Chmee
A Molten Giant
Vuh-do and grid. why both?

10-28-09, 03:41 PM   #8
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Originally Posted by Chmee View Post
Vuh-do and grid. why both?
I believe he meant Vuhdo or Grid not and Personally I shifted to grid and after a few weeks of practice I could see its usefulness beyond healbot.

Characters:
Gwynedda - 70 - Demon Warlock
Galaviel - 65 - Resto Druid
Gamaliel - 61 - Disc Priest
Gwynytha - 60 - Survival Hunter
Lienae - 60 - Resto Shaman
Plus several others below level 60

Info Panel IDs : http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...818#post136818

10-28-09, 04:44 PM   #9
gothicknight
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
No, i don't use both, i have been using Grid since it has came out, but i made the switch to Vuh-do and it is really good, once an info panel for Grid2 comes out, i will be switching back to Grid 2

11-05-09, 10:27 AM   #10
Pa4doX
A Murloc Raider
In a 25man if I change it to just player mode, then the raid is bearable (15fps) so I will just use that as a fix for now and PRAY that 6.0 comes out soon

11-17-09, 09:45 AM   #11
Jordro
A Cyclonian
Bad frame rate

Been seing a real problem with frame rates and am not sure if its a Nui prob or a WOW prob or even an AT&T prob. Here is whats going on.

Normally I run my video settings low. Game looks great and no issues with FPS rates. On an average I will be anywhere from 15 to 50 FPS and no lag. I am running an AT&T 3G connection in my home with good signal from an outside antenna. My average latancy is @250. My add ons are:

AckisRecipeList
Altoholic
AtlasLoot
BigWigs
BonusScanner
Cartographer
DBM
Decursive
EavesDrop
Gatherer
GoGoMount
Healbot
Lightheaded
Nui
Omen
PallyPower
Questhelper
RatingBuster
Recount
TekKompare
Titan

This week I have had numerous ocassions where in a heroics run, my frame rate would drop to 1 to 3 fps at the most inopertune time. As a healer this is not a good thing
This is a problem that just started this week and I contribute it more to WOW than anything but still it could be a Nui/wow related problem.
In the last couple weeks WOW has had serious latency issues but when everything was working good I could do a run, be on vent and have no problems.
And vent was turned off when this weeks problems started.

Any suggestions or idea's?

Jor

11-17-09, 09:52 AM   #12
spiel2001
nUI's Author

Have you updated any mods in the last week?

11-17-09, 11:29 AM   #13
Jordro
A Cyclonian
Bad frame rate

Hi Spiel. Nothing updated recently. I was thinking about deleting my WTF folder to see if it helps the keybinding as well as FPS prob.

Last edited by Jordro : 11-17-09 at 11:35 AM.

11-17-09, 02:16 PM   #14
spiel2001
nUI's Author

I'm very much a fan of the clean install... it frequently is the solution to many odd behaviors.

11-28-09, 03:06 PM   #15
Jordro
A Cyclonian
Its not Nui causing it.

I ran in a 10 man Naxx last night and the frame rate stayed around 9. A few times I locked up for 3 to 4 seconds and once for almost 10 seconds. Not cool while trying to heal. After the run I turned Nui off, and it did not make a bit of diferance on my frame rate which I am glad because I doubt if I can play or raid without Nui any more!
It just baffles me. The highest my latency was during the run was 105 and normally 75ms. Two days ago I downloaded the 440 some patch in about 30 minutes so I know I have a good connection. My Vid settings are all turned down to the lowest yet pathetic frame rate and glitchy at times

But the good news is it isnt Nui causing the problem.

11-28-09, 05:13 PM   #16
neuralassassin
A Scalebane Royal Guard

Yea framerates are not gonna have anything to do with your connection really. Try checking to make sure theres no antivirus scans or updating going on in the background. You can download process explorer from microsoft its a free suped up version of taskmanager that will let you see all the processes runing on the computer. Another thing you can check is temps on your video card and cpu, I know if I dont clean out my heatsinks they fill up with dust pretty quick and I get some pretty crappy performance from an otherwise solid machine. Hope some of that helps

11-29-09, 09:05 AM   #17
Jordro
A Cyclonian
low FPS

I went through my /run msconfig and turned off a bunch of stuff from start up as well as uninstalled a ton of older programs. This did help the computer speed but not FPS. I took the cover off the computer and cleaned it, and it was choked down and not able to breathe. Still, standing in howling fjord with out a soul around me, I am at 8 fps bouncing to 3 when I should be no less than 30.
My next step is to either replace my vid card because it is an older one, a NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 4000 with a measly 128mb on it or turn it off and see what the dell onboard vid card can do. The computer is also an older one but a good one. A Dell Dimension 3000 with pent 4 cpu 2.8GHz and 2MB of gamers memory. Antivirus is spysweeper with gamer mode turned on.

I totally ruled out Nui as the problem as well as any other add ons. I renamed my interface and wtf folders and restarted with clean ones. Same problem but I see others posting here with FPS problems so hopefully once I figure out my problem it will help others.

11-29-09, 09:14 AM   #18
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Jordro View Post
My next step is to either replace my vid card because it is an older one, a NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 4000 with a measly 128mb on it or turn it off and see what the dell onboard vid card can do. The computer is also an older one but a good one. A Dell Dimension 3000 with pent 4 cpu 2.8GHz and 2MB of gamers memory. Antivirus is spysweeper with gamer mode turned on.
What you're running there is just enough to play wow with low performance (going to guess you mean 2GB of gamers memory and not 2MB?), and the FPS you are getting is probably the best you're going to get until you upgrade your entire machine. That video card is especially low end. You can try to update the video drivers and see if that helps any.

Just an FYI: Onboard video is not recommended for high end gaming.

11-29-09, 12:56 PM   #19
neuralassassin
A Scalebane Royal Guard

Id normally agree with you petrah but he said its a new issue as he was able to get between 30-50 fps before so something seems odd.

11-29-09, 02:23 PM   #20
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by neuralassassin View Post
Id normally agree with you petrah but he said its a new issue as he was able to get between 30-50 fps before so something seems odd.
Honestly I cannot tell in all his posts if he means FPS or Latency, and this is why I answered the way that I did. Either way, the drivers should be updated and hardware needs to be monitored to ensure nothing is overheating.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » nUI, MozzFullWorldMap and PartySpotter » Support » nUI: Bug Reports » FPS drop using NUI+