05-10-10, 06:59 PM   #21
Wella
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by ChaosInc View Post
By all means, I'm not telling you to try. Just be aware that what you are proposing is currently covered and "regularly" updated.
If everyone had this same philosophy and stuck to it, there would only be one addon for every purpose. That would suck, wouldn't it?
* ncHoverBind - I'm a Lock, what can you expect?
* oGlow - Agan, a missing feature
* Recount - Derp
* ShooShards - Another missing feature

"Your idea is good. So i will try it."
- popmissa
05-13-10, 02:49 PM   #22
Ferous
Sheer Sense of Doom
ChaosInc ain't the nicest people around, but they are blunt with the truth. BUT, I do agree that this will be a hard project, especially if you don't know Lua or don't know how to code and are looking for people to help you with something of this magnitude. I have tons of idea's myself, but not knowing Lua, I won't express my want to make anything, because its a hard task at hand to ask for.
05-13-10, 02:52 PM   #23
Tilteri
A Fallenroot Satyr

Originally Posted by Ferous View Post
ChaosInc ain't the nicest people around, but they are blunt with the truth. BUT, I do agree that this will be a hard project, especially if you don't know Lua or don't know how to code and are looking for people to help you with something of this magnitude. I have tons of idea's myself, but not knowing Lua, I won't express my want to make anything, because its a hard task at hand to ask for.
I've actually messed with it, and have learned how to make it work really well. I was asking experts about it and everything. I have much better knowledge now about coding.

EDIT: I'm going to be coding tommorrow, and so I will be busy. I just want people to see the progress and such. If you get what I mean.
05-13-10, 07:15 PM   #24
gothicknight
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Making addons for a game is like anything in life, takes time, practice and a hell of a lot of patience.

I am not sure about anyone helping you with the actual coding of your new found project, but i am sure, if you get stuck and you ask, there are alot of very talented addons developers here that would point you in right direction and give tips on how to do things correctly.

WoWI as a community are generally very helpful (even though, after reading a few of the comments posted here, you may think differently) and i look forward to testing your project.

05-14-10, 06:40 AM   #25
Tilteri
A Fallenroot Satyr

Originally Posted by gothicknight View Post
Making addons for a game is like anything in life, takes time, practice and a hell of a lot of patience.

I am not sure about anyone helping you with the actual coding of your new found project, but i am sure, if you get stuck and you ask, there are alot of very talented addons developers here that would point you in right direction and give tips on how to do things correctly.

WoWI as a community are generally very helpful (even though, after reading a few of the comments posted here, you may think differently) and i look forward to testing your project.
Yeah, I only put it out there currently for people to test it in progress, or help develop it. It doesn't matter to me if nobody helps develop it though so... oh well. I will need testers though.
05-14-10, 10:33 AM   #26
Sojik
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

I think he's either trying to be funny or trying to get a developer beta invite to Cataclysm. Am I the only one who get's that feeling?
05-14-10, 11:23 AM   #27
Grimsin
A Molten Giant

finding people to help is rough! And ChaosInc is actually pretty nice... lol, in his defense.

But yea i have been trying for months to get a full time partner for GrimUI and no luck as of yet. This site is invaluable though when it comes to asking questions about code.

GrimUI
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
05-14-10, 01:02 PM   #28
Tilteri
A Fallenroot Satyr

Originally Posted by Sojik View Post
I think he's either trying to be funny or trying to get a developer beta invite to Cataclysm. Am I the only one who get's that feeling?
I was talking about a full-time partner for the addon, because I don't want someone who will screw up the whole thing when I get a partner....
05-14-10, 02:22 PM   #29
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

Originally Posted by Sojik View Post
I honestly couldn't comment on the beta invite aspect, but starting a huge new project before a major expansion seems to be comparable to cutting your head off to spite your neck.

I'm really not trying to be rude here, but you gotta remember when WotLK came out... EVERYTHING was broken for a while.

I'm just sayin...

~ no need to make the message completely obnoxious - Cairenn
05-14-10, 03:15 PM   #30
Sojik
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

I don't remember any of my addons breaking actually. Do you mean BC?
05-14-10, 09:09 PM   #31
Bornabe
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

You can take a look at my BornabeUI Skins to see if they give you a decent 'base' layout to use, and I even have a PDF so folks can create their own look and artwork anytime using the same layout, so the UI you code could use say, BTex, and an artwork framework which allows users to import their own custom 'theme' which doesn't mess with the actual UI elements themselves, just the appearance of the nice tidy package at the bottom.

Type BornabeUI here on WoWinterface.com to look at my BTex Artwork, etc...
05-14-10, 11:03 PM   #32
Lonny
Hello,

I'm saying this with all the respect!

In my opinion this is wrong, you weren't honest enough in your post and intents, yet you expect authors to join you, not only you make demands ?

I mean you have no experience, you can barely write some of the things you mentioned yet you want us to be devoted ? yet you expect people to have coding skills whereas you have none, how is that logical ?

You should have at least code 50% of the things and ideas before expect anyone to join you, at the moment it seems like you're looking for us to get your job done.

Just an opinion, but something stinks.

Last edited by Lonny : 05-14-10 at 11:08 PM.
06-09-10, 03:45 PM   #33
Ferous
Sheer Sense of Doom
Was the DL taken down?
06-09-10, 07:21 PM   #34
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

Was the DL taken down?
I was looking for it the other day to look in to its progress. I does indeed appear to be taken down.

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor
06-09-10, 07:59 PM   #35
Sythalin
Curse staff

ChaosInc ain't the nicest people around, but they are blunt with the truth.
Originally Posted by Grimsin View Post
And ChaosInc is actually pretty nice... lol, in his defense.
Wow, when did I become popular?

Both opinions are true. I'm quite blunt in discussion, thus viewed as being "rude" or "mean". I just tell it as I see it. As far as being nice, I simply understand the frustration that comes with the coding and the tedious task that it is. That said, I welcomed the help that people gave me and feel it's only fair to return the favor.

SPOILER ALERT!
I'm not really that complicated of a person. Treat me nicely/respectfully and I'll reply in kind. Flame/troll/insult/act like a douche or claim my work "sucks" when you have nothing to show yourself and I'll also reply in kind. Nothing more than a slight variation of the golden rule: What you do to me is what I'll do to you.

Ok, done highjacking. I just found these things amusing.
06-11-10, 05:28 AM   #36
Ferous
Sheer Sense of Doom
When I said you were mean but blunt I didn't mean that I thought you were mean :P But you are blunt. My mother is blunt, but I envy her because she doesn't allow people to run her over, and I'm the exact opposite IRL :O

Coding does take time, it really does. I'm still learning and things I don't understand yet, frustrates me so I take time off. I come back and I learn more things, take time off, etc etc etc. Coding, takes MUCH TIME and much brain power staring at Lua all day long, its hard lol. I'm not even that good at coding and I feel the pain of staring at Lua so long, I dreamed about Lua, and that ain't cool :O

Anyway, I have much respect for you Chaos, and all the coders out there because they are smart, intellegent, artistic people that give me much inspiration.
06-11-10, 03:09 PM   #37
Sythalin
Curse staff

When I said you were mean but blunt I didn't mean that I thought you were mean :P But you are blunt. My mother is blunt, but I envy her because she doesn't allow people to run her over, and I'm the exact opposite IRL :O

Coding does take time, it really does. I'm still learning and things I don't understand yet, frustrates me so I take time off. I come back and I learn more things, take time off, etc etc etc. Coding, takes MUCH TIME and much brain power staring at Lua all day long, its hard lol. I'm not even that good at coding and I feel the pain of staring at Lua so long, I dreamed about Lua, and that ain't cool :O

Anyway, I have much respect for you Chaos, and all the coders out there because they are smart, intellegent, artistic people that give me much inspiration.
No offense was taken and I took it exactly as you meant it. No worries mate.
06-23-10, 03:01 PM   #38
Tilteri
A Fallenroot Satyr

Sorry for not replying.

Sorry for not replying, but i've been busy with stuff. I finally got back to this project and I'm gonna wait till cataclysm is out first. I probably won't do much with it other than the main files until cataclysm is out. Sorry, but the truth is: I'm not sure it'll work when cataclysm is released because it's an expansion, just like many of you have said, and i've taken that into consideration and have decided to delay the project. sorry for the inconvenice.

PS: I renamed the project and it's now gonna be known as Map of Azeroth. Pretty cool name I thought up lol.

Last edited by Tilteri : 06-23-10 at 03:30 PM.
06-23-10, 03:11 PM   #39
Tilteri
A Fallenroot Satyr

Was the DL taken down?
Yes, it was taken down. Not by me though. It was an administrator who took it down. I wish they didn't. Oh well...
06-23-10, 03:55 PM   #40
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
From the Site/Forum rules:

8. Please do not post outside links for addons, unless they are located on trusted sites such as Curse, wowace, googlecode, etc. It's so easy to just host it here - if you would like to offer it to someone else, just upload it. Any link like www.thisrandomserver-1211.net/thisnewaddon.zip will be removed.
http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...84&postcount=2
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » Alpha/Beta AddOns and Compilations » WoWMap + WoWTheme Announced!