11-11-08, 07:25 PM   #1
Mordaki987
A Fallenroot Satyr
Question anyone know whats going on with the servers?

I'm just wondering if anyone knows what is going on with the servers in game and so on? It seems to me that they are taking their own sweet time with fixing whatever it is may be wrong. Its now almost 6:24 pm you think they would of had things fixed and the game up and running by now. Can't even get to worldofwarcraft.com due to it. anyone who might know of or have an official update from blizzard on what is going on, it would be most appreciated.
11-11-08, 07:30 PM   #2
Landrell
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Cool hrmm

Well, like anything when fixing one problem, another issue may have cropped up. It WAS the inability for people to get their mail. This is one of those things where patience is necessary.

I'm also thinking that it could be that they're redoubling their efforts in hopes that a nice clean launch of the xpac will happen tomorrow, so there is that to consider as well.

Fear my Aim, for it be True, Swfit, and Deadly!
11-11-08, 07:35 PM   #3
Gristadar
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

just posted, servers are coming back up shortly
11-11-08, 08:07 PM   #4
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Mordaki987 View Post
I'm just wondering if anyone knows what is going on with the servers in game and so on? It seems to me that they are taking their own sweet time with fixing whatever it is may be wrong. Its now almost 6:24 pm you think they would of had things fixed and the game up and running by now. Can't even get to worldofwarcraft.com due to it. anyone who might know of or have an official update from blizzard on what is going on, it would be most appreciated.

There was an issue with the in game mail (missing items and gold), and I believe something was also said about items missing from guild banks and personal banks. This issue cropped up right after maintenance, and then they took all the servers back right back down again to fix what broke. I've watched everything deteriorate on the forums since I hopped on over there at 5am this morning.

As for the website and the forums, the player base is now at 11 million... too many trying to get to the sites to see what's wrong and the sites can't handle that much traffic (also some serious posting issues with the forums, which I hope is getting fixed now).
11-11-08, 08:11 PM   #5
Gruffness
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Originally Posted by Gristadar View Post
just posted, servers are coming back up shortly
So far it's been a half hour...how short is "shortly?"

Update: Now the news isn't even loading in the launcher. Maybe that's a sign?

Update2: Now I was able to log in with the launcher (the news loaded). Still no servers. In fact, the server list (all offline) was depopulating/disappearing as I watched. Odd.

Last edited by Gruffness : 11-11-08 at 08:20 PM.
11-11-08, 08:13 PM   #6
tralkar
An Onyxian Warder

hmm just maintenance they say...? then how the #$%^ can they mess up the mail? how meny times do i do maintenance on my computer and i never change anything..
11-11-08, 08:13 PM   #7
Republic
Paladin

Originally Posted by Landrell View Post
nice clean launch
We play WOW. We are Blizzard customers. There is no such thing.
11-11-08, 08:29 PM   #8
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

Patience. I for one would rather such a serious issue be fixed correctly and have it take longer than it being done fast and incorrectly.

And before people complain (more anyway) If the solution were an easy fix then dont you think they would have had it back up and running already? The mentality that seems to come across from people is that they are going slowly on purpose. No company wants unhappy customers. Just be patient, if you think you have been patient enough, do it again. It will get fixed.

Originally Posted by tralkar View Post
hmm just maintenance they say...? then how the #$%^ can they mess up the mail? how meny times do i do maintenance on my computer and i never change anything..
Your computer is far less complex than the system needed to run a game like this. LOL

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor

Last edited by MidgetMage55 : 11-11-08 at 08:31 PM.
11-11-08, 08:48 PM   #9
Kywin
A Fallenroot Satyr

Your little desktop...versus a multi hundred million dollar server op...hmmm

Ya right, everyone is a tech expert /sarcasm off

Patience.
11-11-08, 08:49 PM   #10
Syxx
An Onyxian Warder

If people had any real clue exactly how many machines are involved in running any MMO (Especially all the servers needed for WoW), they'd be surprised that the game servers runs to begin with.

I worked for a NOC of a game company for a while and it's a damn nightmare. Even the simplest of patches can break crap you didn't think had anything to do with the patch.

Yes it sucks but I'll bet you a days game cost that Blizzard will put 1 day credit on everyones account (I wonder what that is x 11 million?).
11-11-08, 09:06 PM   #11
tralkar
An Onyxian Warder

Originally Posted by Kywin View Post
Your little desktop...versus a multi hundred million dollar server op...hmmm

Ya right, everyone is a tech expert /sarcasm off

Patience.
Cleaning and other small things should not change anything on the server, unless there sticking there little hands where they don't belong.
11-11-08, 09:09 PM   #12
Doomborne
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Syxx View Post
If people had any real clue exactly how many machines are involved in running any MMO (Especially all the servers needed for WoW), they'd be surprised that the game servers runs to begin with.

I worked for a NOC of a game company for a while and it's a damn nightmare. Even the simplest of patches can break crap you didn't think had anything to do with the patch.

Yes it sucks but I'll bet you a days game cost that Blizzard will put 1 day credit on everyones account (I wonder what that is x 11 million?).
5.5 million dollars, roughly, going off the standard $15 per month subscription.
11-11-08, 09:16 PM   #13
tralkar
An Onyxian Warder

Anyway to have the mail Mess up this way, you have to physically chance something. So what did they try to change?
11-11-08, 09:17 PM   #14
Kywin
A Fallenroot Satyr

Cleaning and other small things should not change anything on the server, unless there sticking there little hands where they don't belong.
Once again, you ASSUME that you know what's involved in "maintenance". My original critic is the armchair tech's view that since my desktop is so simple, why can't their 3,000 servers with a mega-infinity of cables and files be just as simple. It's JUST NOT.

It's akin to somebody watching Peyton Manning throw an interception, and saying "OH MY GOD HE SHOULD HAVE DONE THIS etc etc" When the person making the comment probably couldn't hold down his lunch in an NFL huddle, let alone throw the ball.

You'll have to pardon my sarcastic tone, I just never get used to alarmists and reactionaries. These servers are delicate, and there's LOTS of them...and they are ALL CONNECTED. Ya, in a perfect world, this wouldn't be true. For some, in a perfect world we could LIVE Warcraft...

A bit of patience and maturity isn't so much to expect. Let's reserve the posting etc to real updates as opposed to speculation from bystanders about how things should be done.
11-11-08, 09:19 PM   #15
Kywin
A Fallenroot Satyr

Anyway to have the mail Mess up this way, you have to physically chance something. So what did they try to change?
Soooo THIS statement would be exhibit #500000000 in my case about why the lay person shouldn't speculate about things with which they have no knowledge.

You cannot possibly know with any degree of certainty that ONLY a physical change could result in this kind of failure. And EVEN if by some miracle, you aren't completely OFF the mark...server maintenance often does include the actual physical swap of entire discs/servers.
11-11-08, 09:19 PM   #16
Inactive
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by Syxx View Post

Generic/ambiguous tech posts give you no credibility.

I work very closely with the UNIX shop for an Air Force installation, and they have less money to work with to keep afloat 36,000 sq feet of server space. And these are Sun Blades, nothing top of the line.

Even sweeping upgrades for software changes and code injection for their custom programs only equates to 120 minutes of down-time. Hell, the servers responsible for 90% of an operations field went through an upgrade recently, and it took 30 minutes.

Blizzard severely pads their times in order to profit off the non-bandwidth, because regardless of throughput they receive the same monthly payments.

I know 11 million users puts stress on a system, but they use a plethora of systems, and I highly doubt they work directly with their data centers. It is probably a dozen or so centers rented out and controlled remotely. The whole reason for this stupid amount of down-time is because: 1) they are cheap about how the put into effect these changes, 2) they don't work directly with the hardware, 3) and they probably have no back-up protocol since it is just a video game, right?
11-11-08, 09:21 PM   #17
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

the code for a game is to an extent interlaced. Functions call on various things and interact with each other. Much like the mods posted on this site. Any mod author can tell you that fixing one problem can cause another you dont expect. Now multiply this by quite a bit and thats part of what goes in to wow.

You dont have to play with something directly to cause it to have problems when it comes to programming. When you find a company that can release something on the scale of this game and have 0 issues let me know. Id love to meet them.

If your frustrated its understandable but making the massive jumps your making to try and convince yourself that they were messing around for no reason only serves to make you more mad. Just accept that these things happen even if you dont understand why and just wait patiently for the server to come back up

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor
11-11-08, 09:22 PM   #18
Psychophan7
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
I don't think maintenance means cleaning and such. It could, but I don't think that's all it's for. Besides, even a hasty cleaning job might break something. Uh oh, you nudged that processor and broke 4 pins when you were cleaning the dust off of it!
11-11-08, 09:27 PM   #19
Inactive
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by Psychophan7 View Post
I don't think maintenance means cleaning and such. It could, but I don't think that's all it's for. Besides, even a hasty cleaning job might break something. Uh oh, you nudged that processor and broke 4 pins when you were cleaning the dust off of it!
Maintenance usually means restarting the servers to flush out the memory cache and give the systems some cooling time since they are usually stacked in a room set to about 58-64 F. Heat dissipates into other servers, and over time even the cold environment doesn't help the systems from overheating.

When the temperature of the conductor increases, the collisions between electrons and ions increase. Thus as a substance heats up because of electricity flowing through it (or by any heating process), the resistance will usually increase.
Resistance over a transistor (the funky little object that makes all computers work, FYI), will ultimately result in defects across the hardware, usually resulting in crashes.
11-11-08, 09:32 PM   #20
Tweeker
A Cobalt Mageweaver

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Originally Posted by Inactive View Post
Maintenance usually means restarting the servers to flush out the memory cache and give the systems some cooling time since they are usually stacked in a room set to about 58-64 F. Heat dissipates into other servers, and over time even the cold environment doesn't help the systems from overheating.

Resistance over a transistor (the funky little object that makes all computers work, FYI), will ultimately result in defects across the hardware, usually resulting in crashes.

Pulling in over 30 million dollars a month, it's safe to bet it's not hardware heating/cooling issues

more like... sh1t just aint right and they getting no where trying to fix it..

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » anyone know whats going on with the servers?