03-08-11, 08:06 PM   #1
Chmee
A Molten Giant
UI design philosophy: a slightly different approach

Just got through reading the latest UI spotlight over on wow.com, to which I apparently can't link here. Anyway, the approach highlighted was one of hiding various UI elements when they aren't needed, which is quite different to nUI's approach of putting it all out there all the time. Also, if you're going the "hide stuff until needed" route, it would seem viewports are not needed.

Anyway, I thought I'd start a thread on it, since I kind of like the idea, and wonder what other nUI users think, and whether 6 will let us do this kind of thing.
03-08-11, 08:29 PM   #2
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I've always been and advocate of options. Being a unique person and all I believe not everyone will want everything the same. Whether it is layout or visual appearance. The option to change these however done would be nice.

Version 5 already had some element of these with the infopanels hiding elements off screen until selected and the artwork for the visual appearance.

These options also allow other people to help nUI grow to be more than just a UI but a tool to help each person enjoy the game that much more.

Version 6 I believe will be more flexible with a built in UI to change things. What will be static I don't know but can't wait to see a full featured set of Version 6 so we can see what Scott's idea of it will be until we ask him to tweak it or add flexibility rofl.
03-09-11, 05:15 AM   #3
Seer
A Molten Giant
Then again nUI does hide certain elements untill needed;

-Hud (depending on plugging/settings)
-Party / Raid frames
-threat (depending on plugging/settings)
-dps meters (depending on plugging/settings).
03-09-11, 10:01 AM   #4
Chmee
A Molten Giant
Well, yes, but it's not automatic (e.g., which infopanel is visible is manually selected), and when elements are hidden, one still has to contend with the viewport.
03-09-11, 11:28 AM   #5
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
There was a thread a while back where someone was asking for an infopanel auto switcher. I did try something out back then but I think I drifted off and forgot all about it. We will just have to see what 6 has to offer and see what tweaks we can do to personalise it to our tastes.
03-09-11, 12:37 PM   #6
Seer
A Molten Giant
Originally Posted by Chmee View Post
(e.g., which infopanel is visible is manually selected),
Well, never said it was 100%, but still, some plugins do autoswitch right ?

Just saying the base is in place.

Originally Posted by Chmee View Post
one still has to contend with the viewport.
One of nUI's design goals is to have a very configurable interface. Nobody seems to have done much with it yet other then skins. Granted, nUI5 seems lacking in tools to develop (none exist I suppose) for it but I guess Spiel is fully aware off that.

As a side note, none of the newer MMO's seem to differ from the ancient MMO setup/interface...

Last edited by Seer : 03-09-11 at 01:26 PM.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » nUI, MozzFullWorldMap and PartySpotter » General » nUI: Community Chat » UI design philosophy: a slightly different approach