10-13-10, 11:40 AM   #1
Orinalaba
A Murloc Raider
A simple answer about 4.0.1 would be appreciated

I've been using Carbonite for quite a long time. It is, by far, the best addon that I've ever seen for WoW. I was a happy paying customer back before Blizzard got stupid and made a stink about that.

Unlike any other addon there were a lot of paying customers for Carbonite. I appreciate everything the developers have done here, but it would be nice to at least get an answer from the developers regarding the future of Carbonite. If they wish to let the project go now that its just a free time sink (which I'd understand, I'm a professional developer too) they should post the full, clean source to the addon so the community can continue it. Please, for us, your fans/customers.

I'm sorry Blizzard did this to you, I truly am. I wish very much you could still be paid for developing Carbonite because I'd happily pay. But could you please work with us (the community) on this.

Thanks.

10-13-10, 11:46 AM   #2
DJ Particle
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

How much was Carbonite when it was still a paid app?

10-13-10, 11:53 AM   #3
Jigain
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by DJ Particle View Post
How much was Carbonite when it was still a paid app?
One dollar a month; $12 per year.

10-13-10, 04:20 PM   #4
love4stupidppl
A Black Drake

And it was worth every dollar I spent on that premium membership.

10-13-10, 05:27 PM   #5
DJ Particle
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

Originally Posted by Jigain View Post
One dollar a month; $12 per year.
Then I put to you that making money was likely not their primary impetus for creating the product, if they had to split, per user, only $1 each month (I doubt they went into the project knowing how uber-popular it would be). I trust their original impetus still exists.

I, for one, intend to donate soon (next paycheck), and again once Carb 4 comes out.

10-13-10, 05:41 PM   #6
Orinalaba
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by DJ Particle View Post
I, for one, intend to donate soon (next paycheck), and again once Carb 4 comes out.
I'd donate to get a fully working version for v4, but I'm not going to donate in the hope that just maybe there will be one. Right now a new version is vaporware because the devs are MIA. Which I understand, Bliz intentionally kicked them in the shins. I'd be annoyed too.

The deal is these guys were obviously real developers who know what they were doing, not just hobbyists having some fun. Its quite possible that they have moved on to greener pastures and are now making money doing something else. So their initial reasons for making Carbonite may not be relevant at all. If they don't have time or motivation to support Carbonite then its over.

But it would be nice to know for sure and hear it from the devs. And it would be really nice to have their source released so this excellent project could continue.

10-13-10, 05:44 PM   #7
TrotskyIcepick
A Warpwood Thunder Caller
I only started playing WoW 9 months ago and used QuestHelper till my main toon reached 80, then QH started sending me in all sorts of directions (ie. from Dalaran to Orgrimmar for a quest just 500 yards away in Icecrown....you get the picture).

I then installed a UI pack (NumeinUI from this here web site), and it included Carbonite....and I've never looked back since.

If everyone of the 3,900 people who have favourited Carbonite were to donate 10 of their local currency I'm sure we'd have an update in a matter of days and continued updates there-from.

I myself have (for the second time in 4 months) just donated £10, nearly $20, and will do so again if and only if, someone on the dev team makes an at least cursory post to say yay or nay to an update.

If the answer is nay, then as has been previously posted, please make the source available to other ardent users who have the ability to update it.

Regardless, thanks for an addon that has made the last 4 months of WoW such a joy.

10-13-10, 11:18 PM   #8
DJ Particle
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

Originally Posted by Orinalaba View Post
Right now a new version is vaporware because the devs are MIA. Which I understand, Bliz intentionally kicked them in the shins. I'd be annoyed too.
A dev just broke radio silence and confirmed Carb 4 is coming...
http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...1&postcount=11

10-14-10, 03:23 AM   #9
Nesqually
A Kobold Labourer
Wink Looking forward to Carbonite 4.0.1 being developed and posted?

I am a current user of the Cabonite addon and I've also donated to the UI program. I'm really hoping that you are willing to write out a 4.0.1 version of Carbonite as it is "the best thing since sliced bread!" Please, would you make the updated version of Cabonite as quickly as possible.

Thanks for your time!

Nesqually

10-14-10, 03:33 AM   #10
ozzydreamer
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Smile Thanks

Thanks for the heads up DJ. That is FANTASTIC news! Glad to hear. I'm still going to donate again. It's a worthwhile donation for hands down WoW's GREATEST addon. Just to name a few of the functions I use and now miss (don't know whatcha got till it's gone, ey?):

The maps. I SO love the way the maps work in Carbonite. Blizz did a crappy job at that, and Carbonite made it ALL good.

Warehouse is INVALUABLE. I mean, I'm lost without being able to search for items on my other toons. It really is a VERY nice feature.

Punks is invaluable for obvious reasons.

The quest assist is TOP NOTCH. I'm not one into Lore, so yeah, it works out perfect for me. Tell me what to go kill and I'll do it!

Let's not forget the "Goto" function.

That's just what I can name off my head. Thanks again dev's for creating the best addon pack ever. After all, Carbonite doesn't have just ONE function. It's the jack-of-all-trades of addons.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » A simple answer about 4.0.1 would be appreciated