10-28-12, 10:24 AM   #1
Kreelor
A Firelord

Question Where are the POI's on maps?

The Blizzard mini-map shows POI icons. Carbonite's maps show only just a few of them.

Yet, the advertisement for the Carbonite addon continues to mislead users by claiming (in the Guide/Hud section of the ad):

[See the attached thumbnail .jpg]
Guide-Hud_advertisement_for_Carbonite_is_wrong.jpg

It's a lie, and has been that way for a long time.

I've mentioned before that on my Carbonite maps, the only POI's it displays are the generic ones, such as; FM'S, Inn's, etc.

There are no Vendors, Repairs, Trainers, and more. And, now that Battle Pets have ICONS visible in the Blizzard map, even those don't show up on the Carbonite maps.

Generally speaking, the Carbonite maps show mostly TERRAIN, which is a good thing in itself, but where are the POI's?

The absolute worst thing is that the Carbonite "?" Guide never seems to point to the closest anything that a user selects! It doesn't even know that I'm standing next to a particular Trainer, Vendor, Repair-person, or whatever. It will tell me that the "closest one" is 3 Continents away!!! Absurd.

Edited:
It states that: "IF IT'S IN THE GAME, IT'S IN THE GUIDE". That's utterly untrue.

If these issues won't be fixed, then at least remove the false advertising for the Carbonite addon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Guide-Hud_advertisement_for_Carbonite_is_wrong.jpg
Views:	483
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	7323  

Last edited by Kreelor : 10-28-12 at 10:27 AM.

10-28-12, 11:30 AM   #2
Tigermafia
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Wow some people just can not be happy. I guess its like the people in LFR. "BOO-HOO I didn't get handed my epix, this game fails"

Rythal is knee deep in the process of overhauling the entire addon, which has more layers than an onion.

Just give him time and enjoy the work.

Last edited by Tigermafia : 10-28-12 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Grammar

10-28-12, 01:10 PM   #3
JimJoBlue
An Onyxian Warder

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Hold on one second there Kreelor, You have been quite active in these forums so I would like to think you know what is going on. BUT I must be mistaken.

Your above post is making you look like a complete idiot.
If you was some random who's first visit here was to make that post then you would have been excused.. But you are not.

You should know the amount of work involved in getting those poi's listed in the addon, as well as the current state of the addon.

Rythal is doing a damn good job fixing the bugs and getting the current stuff working before even thinking about adding new content to the poi list. I remember him writing something along the lines of "the map needs to be working or we will have nothing to display the new stuff on".

It has been like this for a long time because the previous dev's gave up on the project. If you feel this strongly on the fact that stuff is missing then maybe it's time to say goodbye to this addon and look elsewhere.

I for one have faith and have noticed a VAST improvement in the recent weeks..

Last edited by JimJoBlue : 10-28-12 at 01:28 PM.

10-28-12, 04:48 PM   #4
Rexall51
A Murloc Raider
Here's a Quote,

"You can please all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot please all the people all the time."

You nevermind Rythal just keep up the Great Work!! Those of us who like what you are doing with Carbonite totally appreciate your undertaking and especially the time involved with such a large task.

10-29-12, 09:33 AM   #5
schizophrena
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Originally Posted by Rexall51 View Post
Here's a Quote,

"You can please all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot please all the people all the time."

You nevermind Rythal just keep up the Great Work!! Those of us who like what you are doing with Carbonite totally appreciate your undertaking and especially the time involved with such a large task.
Working in training and consulting - and have previously worked in retail a little bit. I guarantee you the first part is not true - you can not please all the people, even some of the time. Some people just can't be pleased, and those you have to say "We thank you, but you can move on if you want.

10-30-12, 09:41 AM   #6
Kreelor
A Firelord

Originally Posted by JimJoBlue View Post
Hold on one second there Kreelor, You have been quite active in these forums so I would like to think you know what is going on. BUT I must be mistaken.

Your above post is making you look like a complete idiot.
If you was some random who's first visit here was to make that post then you would have been excused.. But you are not.

You should know the amount of work involved in getting those poi's listed in the addon, as well as the current state of the addon.

Rythal is doing a damn good job fixing the bugs and getting the current stuff working before even thinking about adding new content to the poi list. I remember him writing something along the lines of "the map needs to be working or we will have nothing to display the new stuff on".

It has been like this for a long time because the previous dev's gave up on the project. If you feel this strongly on the fact that stuff is missing then maybe it's time to say goodbye to this addon and look elsewhere.

I for one have faith and have noticed a VAST improvement in the recent weeks..
You said that you "must be mistaken" about my "not knowing what's going on." Yes, you are. I have a fair idea as to what's going on. But, because I'm being attacked over what I wrote, I guess you all think it's because what I wrote was incorrect, invalid, or not true. What I wrote is correct, valid, and true!

If you think I look like an idiot merely because I'm still pursuing unresoved issues that I have written about for years, long before Rythal came on the scene to help all of us, then you go ahead and think what you want. I don't care. I wasn't attacking you, Rythal, or anyone except the webmaster who hasn't modified the deceptive advertising about the Carbonite addon (in its current state). Later, after fixes have been made, then the webmaster should update the advertisement accordingly.

You also said: "You should know the amount of work involved in getting those poi's listed in the addon, as well as the current state of the addon." And, you also said this: "I remember him writing something along the lines of "the map needs to be working or we will have nothing to display the new stuff on"."

Well, here's what the Log file says about fixes that Rythal has completed. In reference to "Maps," it says:
[Keep in mind that this was a previous update log, since we are now on 5.055]

Changes: 5.054
Checked All maps are verified to be displaying / loading

It's great that he fixed the maps, since that's a core feature of the addon, which separates it from all other addons. But, having maps work and having them show zoomable beautiful terrain graphics and allowing us to set 'paths' by Cntrl-clicking on destinations doesn't mean they do what the advertisement says. Maps without ALL THE POI's that World of Warcraft has, aren't complete if they don't display the POI's on the Carbonite's map.

My post was just another of the many previous posts I've made over the years as a reminder that the issues I pointed out are important to me, and hopefully to others, as well. I'm not suggesting that everything else stops while those issues are addressed; I just don't want them to go unnoticed (again!). To me, those issues are critical and valuable components that make the Carbonite addon unique and an indespensible tool for the game. I hate having to leave the game, go to somebody's 3rd-party website, look up simple information, write it down, then return to the playing again. Before Cataclysm was released, the Carbonite addon [at that time] was up-to-date (more or less) including its "?" Guide.

It's the advertisement that irritates me. It's not Rythal, (God bless him abundantly!).

Since some of you seem to like posting quotes, here's one to think about:

"It's the squeaky wheel that gets greased." --- I'm just continuing to "squeak" about an issue that has remained broken for YEARS with the addon. I have attacked nobody. Even you should be able to understand that.

10-30-12, 11:25 AM   #7
JimJoBlue
An Onyxian Warder

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Here is something for you to think about..

Read the OP again, to me it sounds like you are demanding something be done. Rather than requesting.
If you had worded your post differently, then people (myself included) would not have been on the defensive and you would have had a much different response.

I don't know how much control Rythal has over the writeup on WoWI or Curse, but I do know he has no control over Carboniteaddon.com.

I really don't see how the advertising is your biggest problem. But I do agree that the POI's need updating.

10-30-12, 12:50 PM   #8
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
I have full control over the page on both curse & wowi but i've left them the way the carboniteteam had them.

As the new generation of carbonite rises with the new names, the old page will fade away.

10-30-12, 04:54 PM   #9
Kreelor
A Firelord

Originally Posted by Rythal View Post
I have full control over the page on both curse & wowi but i've left them the way the carboniteteam had them.

As the new generation of carbonite rises with the new names, the old page will fade away.
A near-perfect reply! Thanks, Rythal.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Where are the POI's on maps?