12-16-09, 03:14 PM   #1
Gsusnme
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Question Razer Naga, hit or miss?

I currently use the Logitech MX Revolution and have for years, it's been good to me and I thoroughly enjoyed it all along, recently though I notice some bad connection issues, laggy, sputtering type movement and the plastic is all wearing off; as well as some recharging faults. So it's that time again to go mouse hunting.

I figure a few too many years of nerd rage incidents and general anger management issues have finally begun to take a toll on this old gal, and I enjoyed playing with the Razer Naga at Blizzcon, however 15 minutes of non serious play is hardly enough to convince me it's a great mouse. So my questions here are, does anyone have it? Does anyone hate it? What is your experience with it and would you recommend something over it?

I like what I read about it and as I said, it was nifty at blizzcon, the price is not a concern as $79.99 it's up there at or around most gaming mice so my main concern is usability, durability, and over satisfaction. Keep in mind at the moment I using uberOptions I currently have 11 mouse hotkeys that I use on all my toons, so something comparable is wanted/needed here, not any 3 buttoned corded ball-mouse from Microsoft

Be brutal people, and thanks in advance for your advice.
12-16-09, 03:16 PM   #2
zero-kill
A Firelord

Then don't get a mouse with only 2 buttons

Personally I can't use the mouse, it's too hefty and using each button is confusing.
12-16-09, 03:25 PM   #3
Arilak
A Kobold Labourer
I have been using it for about a little less than a week now. It took me about a day with trainers on to get used to the buttons. After you get used to it, it is a WONDERFUL mouse. I wouldn't trade it for anything honestly, I now seem to not be able to live without it.

5/5 from an experienced keybinder.
12-16-09, 03:50 PM   #4
sakurakira
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

I gotta ask... if you like your current mouse so much, other than to get something different, why not just get the same mouse again? I recently had to buy a new mouse as well, and I returned to the same kind I have been using for the past 4 years or so.

I am the type of person that will continue to use a product until it dies, and when it's time to replace it, get another one. I am weary of spending tens of dollars on something "different" and having it be a waste of money.
12-16-09, 04:10 PM   #5
Gsusnme
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
Originally Posted by sakurakira View Post
I gotta ask... if you like your current mouse so much, other than to get something different, why not just get the same mouse again? I recently had to buy a new mouse as well, and I returned to the same kind I have been using for the past 4 years or so.

I am the type of person that will continue to use a product until it dies, and when it's time to replace it, get another one. I am weary of spending tens of dollars on something "different" and having it be a waste of money.
Very good point, and I have debated on buying another one, I just really liked the Razer Naga and felt it COULD be something good, better than what I have, but wanted some advice about it first, and also any other suggestions someone might have. If the feel I get from the end of this thread is that nothing else will match up I probably will buy another one. Even though it's a deactivated item on Newegg -_-, Amazon ftw?
12-16-09, 06:07 PM   #6
GeeksBsmrT
A Murloc Raider
I have used the mouse for a few weeks and love it. I also use a g13 so i bind a lot. i dont use the mouse much for spells other than my druid forms, professions, vent, mount, and other commonly accessed items (map, quests, etc..) since i bound my 1 - "-" keys on the g13 i turned the mouse to num pad mode and it works like a champ. not to mention on my mac i have a program that can control the two buttons to the forward left of the left button to alt and shift. this gives me even more bindings on both the mouse and g13. razer has also said that they will be working on a way to bind the keys to any button though that functionality has not been implemented due to concerns with Terms of Use with MMOs.

I would recommend this to anyone who is looking to get into keybinding or someone who has current keybindings looking to expand.

4/5 (just because i cant bind the keys on the side to any key i want)
12-17-09, 09:42 PM   #7
Gsusnme
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
Thanks for the feedback, I'm leaning more and more towards getting it, anyone else?
12-17-09, 10:28 PM   #8
ShetiPhian
A Fallenroot Satyr
I got mine within the release week, now I doubt I could play wow without it.
Multitasking became way easier, with the proper key bindings you can play decently with one hand.

The keypad does not function as general purpose inputs. It is either you number row or your number pad (changeable by the switch on the bottom)

I do suggest not using the trainers, you kinda get use to finding the button with them then need to relearn. Also if left on (I used one a a quick find) they will eventually slide off and stick to the mouse (throwing you way off). you'll also need to clean up glue residue.
12-18-09, 10:51 AM   #9
Limb0
A Cobalt Mageweaver

I've been a Razer fan for a few years now. Originally I bought their Habu, then a few months ago I grabbed the Naga once it was available again (Amazon). I pair this with the Lycosa Mirror keyboard.

The additional 12 buttons are great. In combat I only use 7 of these, but it translates into better raid performance, less "misclicking", and lets me keep my eyes on the action. As the trainer video suggested, I did not use the trainers, and I only keybound 2 of the additional buttons to get used to it. I use Bartender 4 for my actionbars and find it very convenient to set up keybinds with. For my interface, I have a 12 button bar dedicated to the Naga which is hidden until mousover.

One of the first things I noticed was the response. This mouse comes with a default sensitivity of 1800 DPI. It can be toned down to 100, or ramped up to 5k. In other words, this mouse is Fast!

Outside of WoW, I love the precision for Photoshop and Illustrator.
12-18-09, 01:12 PM   #10
Eziquiel
A Defias Bandit
I've been a razer fan for years, since their first Quake mouse came out actually, and I liked the Naga. I did, however, recently switch to the WoW mouse from Steelseries, and that's quite possibly the most comfortable mouse I've ever used.
12-19-09, 02:13 AM   #11
Gsusnme
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
Thanks for the input everyone, broke down and bought it off of Amazon tonight, be here Monday! Yippee!
12-19-09, 04:08 AM   #12
Haleth
This Space For Rent

Featured
Bit late reply, but glad to hear you're getting one. I used to be hopeless at keybinds, but it's really easy since I got that mouse. I use the mouse buttons for pretty much everything on my paladin, combined with Clique for easy spellcasting with modifiers, and using the arrow keys + right button for movement. Works like a charm.
12-19-09, 04:44 AM   #13
Taroven
A Cyclonian
Late as well here, but throwing in my two copper anyway.

I got the Naga about a week ago, replacing my MX518, and love it to death already. I figured it would take some getting used to, but I ended up pulling off the trainers I'd set up after about five minutes. Since then I've just made a habit of jabbing at random buttons to see if I hit the right one, which has helped my accuracy with it a lot.

The good: It feels lovely in my palm, it's amazingly precise, and the click action is perfect. Teflon pads go around the full bottom edge instead of just 5-6 points, which really does make a difference with a good mousing surface. The mouse is easily the best I've ever had the pleasure of using even without the extra buttons.

The bad: The back/forward buttons are a little awkward to get to, but that's probably my half-disabled right hand talking (cut tendons in the middle, ring, and pinky fingers - makes a claw grip really hard to pull off). There's no adjustment for the pointer acceleration that I've been able to find. Not too bad after a while of using it, but I'd still love to tweak it.

The ugly: The thumb buttons are set to only be the numpad or number row - No option for generic mouse buttons, which is my only gripe. Great for tanking and DPS, not so good for healing if you're the mouseover type. Clique only works with standard mouse buttons, so I've been forced to tie up a bunch of macro slots until I can find something else or write a custom solution.

Absolute joy to use, final answer.
12-21-09, 04:05 AM   #14
Thrae
A Cyclonian

I bought it just for the 12 buttons on the side. I always wanted a numpad + mouse combination since I was a teenager.

My current mouse was an ancient generic optical brand possibly from CompUSA (according to googling its SKU#), although it did have a solid working 5 buttons. Hence I'm already used to using extra mouse buttons. My hands generally do not leave the W,A,S,D position while my character is in action, utilizing a key mapping (from memory), 1,2,3,4,5,R,T,Z,X,C,D,F,V,SHIFT+Q,SHIFT+E,SHIFT+Z,SHIFT+C + mouse buttons. Hopefully I can remove some of the awkwardness with my new Razer Naga, reducing time away from W,A,S,D.

It's also useful in FPSes too. However the software currently does not have the full power of Logitech's macros. Razer is working on it.

WARNING: There is currently a bug some people are experiencing (with or without the drivers) where the mouse will not be recognized by the USB port after resuming from S3 (Standby/Sleep). S1 (Alternate Standby/Sleep) and S4 (Hibernate) normally work fine, as well as replugging the mouse. Razer is looking into this issue.
01-05-10, 08:34 PM   #15
ShetiPhian
A Fallenroot Satyr
Originally Posted by ShetiPhian View Post
The keypad does not function as general purpose inputs. It is either you number row or your number pad (changeable by the switch on the bottom)
I would like to correct this:
You can now change the assignments for both the 123 & Num settings.

As of Jan 4 2010 09:43 AM driver v2.0 was released.
- Added support for profiles
- Added support for button assignments
- Added support for macros
01-05-10, 09:57 PM   #16
zero-kill
A Firelord

So I just bought 1, and boy is it ever hot... literally - even with the lights turned off it has to be the warmest "feeling" mouse I've had the pleasure to own. It's probably the matte finish, almost velvet smooth that attracts heat?

Any who with the help of the sticky trainers I hope to "get imba"!
01-05-10, 11:21 PM   #17
Grimsin
A Molten Giant

No the mouse itself is actually heating up. Common problem people have posted on newegg. My two silver on the mater... been using logitech for a long time now. Until the ability to program the mouse buttons to be what ever i want my Performance MX will have to do. However i just got it and have noticed some issues. It seems jumpy or not as sensitive? or? something is strange. It uses the new Logitech DarkField laser. Its the replacement for my MX Revolution which as had been said above... the plastic started to fall apart, the charge was not holding very long, buttons were starting to stick/dbl click. It was perfect other then it only lasted about 8 months. If Naga gets the software to back those buttons up i may try it out.

GrimUI
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
01-06-10, 06:24 PM   #18
Gsusnme
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
I must say I am very happy with it so far, I still struggle from time to time to remember which hot-key is which, but I haven't had much time to acclimate myself lately on a serious scale anyhow.

Aside from my own personal learning issues, I haven't encountered any issues with the mouse itself, it does not feel hot to me, it's movement and acceleration are fine, dpi is nice and it comes in rather handy in just about all my games, form FarCry 2 to Crysis to Fallout3, DragonAge and Borderlands.

Probably my wisest investment of 2009. Which seems sad, but still, great mouse for me, and I recommend it to anyone who loves to key-bind.
01-06-10, 06:36 PM   #19
ShetiPhian
A Fallenroot Satyr
Mine and my brothers (both from first shipments) Haven't been getting hot nor have they acted up. Maybe there is a bad run of chips. I'd try RMA'ing
01-07-10, 02:46 PM   #20
zero-kill
A Firelord

Just noticed that the Razer addon is essentially a copy of Dominos.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Tech Chat » Razer Naga, hit or miss?