View Poll Results: Do you agree with opening PvE to PvP Transfers?
Yes, it's about time! 17 50.00%
Heck no! This is outrageous! 11 32.35%
Meh. I have mixed feelings (please explain) 6 17.65%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

09-12-08, 01:00 PM   #1
Gemini_II
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Exclamation [Poll] PvE to PvP Transfers?!

I thought I would get a response from the mod community on this recently announced "feature" from Blizzard. I adamantly supported their long-standing view of "no" concerning this topic, for a variety of reasons.

My main reason is that you don't have the constant threat of being rolled on a PvE server; there is a reason they are considered "easy mode" (I know that's not always accurate and that many PvE guilds are hardcore raiders). I've had the frustration of being harassed on PvE servers and having no recourse whatsoever, which detracted from the whole Alliance vs. Horde feeling I expect. Anyone on a PvP server will probably have horror stories of being camped in Nessingwary's by opposing factions for hours, among other things, but I still feel this lends to the competition and experience of an MMO with player factions.

What's your opinion?

09-12-08, 01:48 PM   #2
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

I agree, bad idea. Just means people that already have heavily geared characters that want to just run around and gank people will have an easy way to do it. Sure the people who lvl up on the PvP servers can do it, but in my eyes they EARNED the right to do so by playing there in the first place. Its a vicious cycle to be sure. Then again thats what pvp servers are about. Kill or be killed.

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor
09-12-08, 02:33 PM   #3
Jzar
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

On the whole, I think this is a bad thing. I'm very typical; got camped in TM and STV for hours on end, almost quit WoW, blah blah blah. Now I have 2 70s, when people bug me, I exact revenge on them, and that's that. It feels real. I don't think this easymode thing where you get the privelege of taking out your frustration on lowbies without having ever experienced being the lowbie, on your first toon, just trying to learn to play, and finding a 13 year-old girl with PMS for the first time on her T6 70 camping you.

On the other hand, I know there are some people that started toons on PvE servers without fully realizing what that was going to mean to their mobility later. I think they should be able to get out of the trap of being stuck on PvE servers, so from that PoV, I think this is good.
09-12-08, 04:39 PM   #4
GrissomXIX
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Bleh, I knew it was going to happen. The whole reason I picked a PVP server was so that I could have a little danger and unpredictability in my game play. NOW every over-geared, pvp hungry, spoiled PVE player can transfer their toons to PVP servers and harass lowbies in Tarren Mill.

I just want to see what happens when they try to transfer their toons from the opposite faction over since on PVE servers you can have both Horde and Alliance. How many are going to try to transfer their over-geared Alliance and then try to move their Hordes. It's frustrating knowing that all the 70s I leveled through ganking, camping and harassment could have been leveled in comfort and ease one a PVE server...bleh, bad idea.
09-12-08, 06:42 PM   #5
Nexuapex
A Fallenroot Satyr
I've leveled a character on both a PvE and PvP server, and I dunno—maybe I just keep a low profile, but the number of times I was ganked on the way up is negligible.
09-12-08, 07:38 PM   #6
GrissomXIX
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Tarren Mill is the skilless Alliance ganktown of choice on pretty much every PVP server I've played on, and I've played on my fair share. It's about the experience for us PVPers, if you haven't played your toon from 1 to 70 on a PVP server, you haven't earned the right to gank it's lowbie alts or raid it's towns. Pay your dues, but I guess that's now $25 a character.

Just don't let a lifelong PVP server player know you've transferred from a PVE server...never know how they'll react.
09-13-08, 01:26 AM   #7
Gemini_II
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by GrissomXIX View Post
It's about the experience for us PVPers, if you haven't played your toon from 1 to 70 on a PVP server, you haven't earned the right to gank it's lowbie alts or raid it's towns. Pay your dues, but I guess that's now $25 a character.

Just don't let a lifelong PVP server player know you've transferred from a PVE server...never know how they'll react.
LOL! So true, I agree wholeheartedly.

My 1st toon ever was on a Normal server and I was level 31 when the frustration of not being able to do anything to the idiots on the opposite faction became overwhelming and I said "Screw this, I should be able to fight my enemies!", and re-rolled.

09-13-08, 01:58 AM   #8
jonathon
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Spent about a year on a PVE server got 2 60s (warlock, warrior). Then TBC came out and I finally got to play a shaman on alliance, and I followed some friends to a PVP server. Where I now have 2 70s (shaman, hunter).

When blizz announced they were doing this I immediately transferred my warlock who I had not logged into since getting my beta invite for TBC (wanted to copy him with as much crap as possible).

Then this afternoon I transferred my warrior who I had logged into just enough after TBC to run to HH and do one, maybe 2 quests.

Do I think it is harder to lvl on a PVP server compared to a PVE? It can be and sometimes is. But I believe that I have paid my dues and am looking forward to playing my warrior and warlock again.

---------------------------------------
Let the flaming begin.... lol
09-13-08, 02:06 AM   #9
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by MidgetMage55 View Post
I agree, bad idea. Just means people that already have heavily geared characters that want to just run around and gank people will have an easy way to do it. Sure the people who lvl up on the PvP servers can do it, but in my eyes they EARNED the right to do so by playing there in the first place. Its a vicious cycle to be sure. Then again thats what pvp servers are about. Kill or be killed.
I wasn't quite sure how I felt about it, but your post put it more in perspective for me. I agree with that you've said, and thank you for helping me to decide which way to vote.
09-13-08, 06:22 AM   #10
Hhoky
A Fallenroot Satyr

I don't really have a major opinion either way. I can see the point that it would be at least harassment and at worst a camp fiesta to have geared players transfer only to gank lowbies when they never have had to be a gankie. But then I guess if your coming from a PvE server with no player base for PvP (Bg's etc) and after months, if not longer, of developing your character (cuz yea, some of us get attached :P ) and you decide you want to try something different, then why not be allowed to.
Sure its gonna get abused, but one thing that's as true in WoW as in real life....for everything that can be abused, there is a person out there willing to abuse it.
I am wondering though, with the onslaught of accounts getting hacked lately, and a lot of the victims finding themselves on the short end of an unwanted one way only realm transfer, on top of the rest of the violaton of the hack....maybe allowing transfers is Blizz way of creating a programming code history for the easy restoration of hacked and moved characters. Or maybe Blizz is trying to make it less desirable for hackers to do in the first place? Or maybe they are just trying to give players what they have been asking for for a while now on the WoW Forums. Or heck....maybe Blizz decided to announce something to get peoples minds of Wrath?
Or...and I think this one could be very likely...The creators decided to allow transfers because they were all at a party and after too many hours in the hot tub munching on nacho's and downing margarita's someone cracked out a magic 8ball...and so it had to be done..you cant deny the magic 8ball.*laugh*

09-13-08, 11:06 PM   #11
break19
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
I play on primarly pve servers.. While it's true that we don't get ganked while levelling up, we do have players show up, kill quest npcs over and over until some higher levels show up to run em off, but as soon as they leave, to you know, actually play, the jerks show back up and repeat..

tbh, I'd rather have to corpse-run, maybe rez at the quest turnin, turn my quest in then die again, than have to watch the guy I need to turn my quest into die dozens of times while I can't do squat..

break19

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » [Poll] PvE to PvP Transfers?!