05-24-13, 12:48 PM   #1
bossdarcie
A Murloc Raider

Super Impatient Request for Update

I hate loading out of date addons because (I'm not sure why but) it seems to cause multiple LUA errors. I'm assuming this is a different addon being a pain. Regardless, I was wondering if you were working on an update for Carbonite with the new patch content. I, as always, remain your faithful servant and user.

Boss Darcie

05-24-13, 01:29 PM   #2
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
I'm still debating on releasing a new one for 5.3.

Unfortunately a lot of the things that were added with the new patch (scenarios) identify themselves incorrectly, the original carbonite was built around one area, one name so it can't tell the difference between Dun Morogh the zone, and Dun Morogh the scenario (which is what one of the new scenarios idenitifies as).

A lot of that dependency has been removed in carbonite2, and it's working (mostly... that one scenario is still an issue I need to figure out). So it's boiling down to fix up and bandage the old code to work which could take a while, or keep moving forward on the new carbonite so I can get it out the door... which is also taking a while :|

05-24-13, 02:27 PM   #3
bossdarcie
A Murloc Raider

Oh! Well thank you so much for the speedy reply. I appreciate your efforts on the new content. I think it will be worth the patience to just load the out of date addons and wait for your new release, myself. Thanks for keeping this one of the best addons out there!

Boss Darcie

05-25-13, 05:31 AM   #4
Subzero7
A Fallenroot Satyr
Hey Rythal, I vote for just working on Carbonite 2. I expect many would like both, or a "band aide" for Car 1, but for me, Car 1 works well enough. I would rather have you get Carb 2 out the a little sooner by concentrating on it. Thanks for all your hard work.

05-25-13, 09:27 AM   #5
Squishery
A Murloc Raider
5.3 update would be very helpful

I vote for a 5.3 update... because, there is also a new battleground (Deepwind Gorge) which is not working and there are still the errors in Warsong gulch and Arathi Basin.
...and as you said, the new scenarios which need to be added.

I also noticed the the Lorewalker quests (which you get in the same room as the new scenarios) mogoshan palace dont show up at all. They come up as "not in the database" with the brown selection button.
So to do any of the above, Carbonite must be disabled.

...and right now these are pretty much the activities im doing. So Carbonite would stay off most of the time.

Biggest problem is the Deepwind Gorge one though because I literally cant see where anything is, and as a result I cant go defend our resources, or steal the other teams resouces. I just kind of ride around on my mount til I stumble onto something relevant.

Thanks again for the awesome add-on. I seriously cant live without it.

05-26-13, 01:09 AM   #6
Mutilated
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
An update is a must for Carbonite! 95% of the quests in Pandaria says "This objective is not in the database" so i dont know where to fly. Please fix it. Reload UI does nothing. Still wont work.

05-26-13, 09:26 AM   #7
Mardread
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
@Mutilated,

If you use the beta version of Carbonite, that problem has been addressed properly. The issue that you would face by switching to the beta is that you would have to delete all your previous settings to install the beta. You would lose the look that you currently have, but it only takes a few minutes to get everything up and running once you have installed the beta.

The beta works better than the original Carbonite has in years, Rythal has done some amazing work and I wish I could help him out a bit on this task.

05-26-13, 01:56 PM   #8
immaturestudent
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by Rythal View Post
I'm still debating on releasing a new one for 5.3.
Stop debating and get on with it. It clearly isn't working properly and it needs updating. We don't see other addon authors acting like little girls. There's are already updated. Carbonite always goes through this same discussion at every patch and I am tired of it. Just give us all a break and update it.

And yes, I am one of those who used to pay for it, so I am justified in having a moan.

05-26-13, 02:33 PM   #9
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Originally Posted by immaturestudent View Post
And yes, I am one of those who used to pay for it, so I am justified in having a moan.
Considering I have nothing to do with them, nor the addon at that time... you can moan all you want but it doesn't make a lick of difference to me. You can try to contact the people you paid and see if they wanna come back and fix it (here's a hint, the answer is no, they've abandoned carbonite).

05-26-13, 03:28 PM   #10
Vis
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by immaturestudent View Post
I'd just like to take a moment to point something out about this argument. Many users have stated either this or something very similar when voicing their particular concerns and/or opinions about Carbonite. It seems to be most often used around patch times or when any number of minor bugs or irritants happen to rear their ugly heads.

Well, guess what... Get Over It.

Blizzard instituted their addon policy around March of 2009. Read that again, March of 2009. Need proof? Here you go. Read it yourself. Shortly thereafter, Carbonite was forced to become a free addon or potentially become blocked by Blizz. Around that same time, Haavok and Faatal stated on the original forums they would honor at least the time that people had pre paid for. Which at the time, was up to one year.

Fast Forward to May 2013. Four years after Blizz instituted their addon policy, Three years after your original subscription time would have run out. The original Authors/Creators of the Carbonite you paid for are no longer working on it. They have released it under an Open Source License. The short and sweet of that little tid bit is that basically anyone, even you, can now take Carbonite and modify the code without repercussions provided you follow the License.

Now, Rythal has taken up the monumental task of recoding Carbonite. Instead of being thankful that someone has decided to step up, and continue the addon you enjoy so much, all you do is belittle the work and effort that has been put in. If a kind word or constructive criticism is so hard to say, then why bother saying anything at all?

Just my 2 cents. *also as a former user of the pay version.

And to Rythal,

Keep up the great work, most people that frequent these forums know that what you are doing and what you have already accomplished are a miracle to say the least. Thank you for your continued support and coding of Carbonite

05-27-13, 09:12 AM   #11
tamin
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

I am sure there are many of us who read the forums are patient and don't post very often.

Keep up the great work, your time and efforts are greatly appreciated.. Thank You.

05-27-13, 10:29 AM   #12
crazzzzi
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

i agree 100% Vis

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Super Impatient Request for Update