love4stupidppl
A Black Drake

Originally Posted by shadow78 View Post
ok..
some bugs ... lots of errors.
might be due to bizz updating.
.... ummm ya...
Originally Posted by shadow78 View Post
for the past 3 days they been doing small updates.. and than restarting servers.
this might make thing's a little hard on people that do add-on's

I just hope they don't update everyday...
they should set a time table.. something like every 3 days...
and not all servers at the same time... really no need for that...
Although this is very off-topic for the thread. Blizzard will do as it see's fit. It is there goal to work out all issues as soon as possible. This in-between period between now and Dec. 7th is about them working out every kink to insure a good launch of Cataclysm. This happens every time a new expansion is near launch. Deal with it.

10-15-10, 06:32 AM   #182
Jigain
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by love4stupidppl View Post
Although this is very off-topic for the thread. Blizzard will do as it see's fit. It is there goal to work out all issues as soon as possible. This in-between period between now and Dec. 7th is about them working out every kink to insure a good launch of Cataclysm. This happens every time a new expansion is near launch. Deal with it.
Not only, or they'd just not patch the "official" game until Cataclysm hits the shelves, and kink out the beta exclusively instead.

Patch 4.0.1 is about many things, but three things first and foremost:

1. Explaining what's happening in a lore-wise fashion. Capital cities are quaking. Dragons are flying above them. More changes are coming, but I don't want to spoil anyone's fun.

2. Letting veterans set in their ways learn and adapt to new spell and ability mechanics, rotations, talent layouts, gear stats, UI changes, you name it.

3. Rebalancing by looking at real players, in real situations, doing real things. Beta testing only accomplishes so much, and in the following two months we'll see a lot of rebalancing. Which classes do too much damage? Which do too little? Who's lowest on survivability? Which tanks cause too little threat, and which DPS cause too high? When do healers run out of mana? And so on, and so forth.

So while working out bugs is part of what Blizzard does during this period, it is far from fair to claim it's what the patch is about.

10-15-10, 06:46 AM   #183
dagaard
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
I have been watching this thread for days ever since I posted the first error I got. First of all. How many of you have gone out to the store and purchased software? How many of those software companies give you free unlimited upgrades for life on that program? Get real, when you but a program from a software company they make you pay and usually the full price whenever a new version comes out.

These guys go this not to make money but because they love the game and they love what they do. Trust me, there is no fame nor fortune in coding mods like this.

Now I can understand people's frustration in the situation. Not only for us the players, but also for the coders. Do you seriously think that they can just turn a switch and the program is fixed? Quite frankly I am surprised that they have been able to get the beta out this quick. This means they have had to put personal lives on hold just to work on this project.

For those of you who bashed the programmers, whined, cried and (in many cases) acted your age. You need to take a long hard look at yourself and if you have any real humanity in you at all write a very long apology letter to them.

To the programmers, thank you for loosing sleep, eating at the keyboard, missing your favorite TV show or movie just to put countless hours into fixing this great program. I early await the release version. Keep up the great work and do not let anyone discourage you from continuing this project in the future. I for one would not be able to take up the torch.

10-15-10, 07:00 AM   #184
staestc
A Defias Bandit
Originally Posted by carboniteaddon View Post
Would you rather I lie? I could easily tell you we know everything, have been working hard for months and it will be done any second. I'm a Christian and I hate lies and distortion. I run my businesses with integrity.

We have said we will do what we can to get it working for Cataclysm. We did not know about 4.0 patch, because Haavok and I have not played WoW or been on WoW websites for many weeks. My son plays WoW, but is 9 and does not read websites. I know a patch is out when he tells me.

We have full time jobs and lives and knew Cataclysm was on Dec 7, which was our target date. I put my current iPhone project on hold to deal with the patch 4.0 problems, because we don't like Carbonite broken either.
I appreciate that you are working to bring the addon up to compatibility with 4.0.1.

I personnally believe that most frustrations people are having, and mine in particular, could have easily been avoided by posting a simple message on the main page stating "We are aware that Carbonite is not functioning with patch 4.0.1, and are endeavoring to fix it. Please bear with us and visit the forums for information on the progress."

After I have been getting messages for the last few weeks that my carbonite is really old and I should check for an update, and having done so several times with no information, I finally had to dig into the forum to figure out what was going on when it failed completely after the patch.

Did not mean to offend anybody, but a little communication goes a long way, and I would wager that there are a lot more Carbonite users that don't use the forum than there are those that do. Which means a lot of people are probably frustrated as I was. At least those that hit the main page today will see the Beta link.

Thanks for turning it around so quickly.

10-15-10, 07:52 AM   #185
Jigain
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by staestc View Post
I personnally believe that most frustrations people are having, and mine in particular, could have easily been avoided by posting a simple message on the main page stating "We are aware that Carbonite is not functioning with patch 4.0.1, and are endeavoring to fix it. Please bear with us and visit the forums for information on the progress."
Well, the hitch in that reasoning is that neither fataal nor Haavok knew patch 4.0.1 was released, not even that it was going to be released any time soon. It's a bit hard to say "we're aware our addon doesn't work with patch 4.0.1" when you don't know there even is a patch 4.0.1.

And when they heard of it, there was a functional (not flawless, but very much functional) version of the addon uploaded within 24 hours. How can you demand better service than that? Most "official" software developers take weeks, maybe months adapting their programs to changes in programming structure.

10-15-10, 09:37 AM   #186
Gaould
A Defias Bandit
thank you :)

We were caught off guard by the 4.0 patch. Haavok is out of town. I have not been playing games the last several weeks, since I'm busy on other projects. My son plays Wow, but has not for the last few days, so we had no idea there was a patch until I got that email today and thought he meant Cataclysm. I ran WoW and the update started saying "4.01". Needless to say I was surprised!

There will be a Carbonite update.

I will be working on fixing immediate 4.0 issues tonight/tomorrow. Don't know how long that will take. Still trying to get our computers patched up. Son's is having errors...
I want to thank you for all the effords you do to get carbo working for the new patch 4.01 (I was disapointed at first, reading in forums, that there would be no update for patch 4.01) I am looking for alternative addons to compensate because dec 17 is far away.
I know it costs a lot of work to get those changes finished, while working on an working version of carbonite for cataclysm too.

I also want to ask you, to ignore all the negative remarks from corbo users who only think of themselves and dont know anything about whats going on, when developing and updating carbonite. It takes many manhours to complete those objectives.

so: THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!

10-15-10, 09:38 AM   #187
dagaard
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by Jigain View Post
Well, the hitch in that reasoning is that neither fataal nor Haavok knew patch 4.0.1 was released, not even that it was going to be released any time soon. It's a bit hard to say "we're aware our addon doesn't work with patch 4.0.1" when you don't know there even is a patch 4.0.1.

And when they heard of it, there was a functional (not flawless, but very much functional) version of the addon uploaded within 24 hours. How can you demand better service than that? Most "official" software developers take weeks, maybe months adapting their programs to changes in programming structure.
Can you say Microsoft windows (no matter what version you want to use)

10-15-10, 10:22 AM   #188
TrotskyIcepick
A Warpwood Thunder Caller
Originally Posted by rascellian View Post
Then I didn't bother selling stuff until I got auctioneer working.
Off topic, but I'd love to know how you got auctioneer working?

Gratz to Fataal and Haavok, I think it's bloody marvellous that you managed to at least get a beta out for such a massive and multi-faceted addon in just 2 days.....good on ya

10-15-10, 11:00 AM   #189
TrotskyIcepick
A Warpwood Thunder Caller
Been playing with the beta for just 30 minutes and it seems to be working OK. Only issues I've spotted were the map zoom issue, and the inability to clear goto's, that said there are bound to be more.....but what I've got is more than good enough to be used for quite a while.

Thanx for the effort guys.

10-15-10, 11:15 AM   #190
missmoonfire
A Murloc Raider

Thank you!!!

OMG Thank you for letting us know you will be providing an update. I had just started using carbonite recently and fell in love with this add-on. You get it fixed to work in WoW 4.0 and Cat. and I will be donating enough for three accounts. I am lost everyday without Carbonite it just makes questing nice!

Anyone signed up to get the NUi updates from Scott that are not donating need to as well he had the fixes up that night!

If we donate to our favorite add-on makers they will be able to afford the time to keep us playing WoW as we are acustom to.!

10-15-10, 04:38 PM   #191
Lenorlee
A Kobold Labourer

Just sent in my $50 after downloading .4.

Thanks guys

10-15-10, 04:43 PM   #192
Riffola
A Murloc Raider

You, Sir(s), are a God....

10-15-10, 11:07 PM   #193
carboniteaddon
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Jigain View Post

After the email I received from our resourceful Carbonite user and I figured out what was going on, I think I made the first forum post about 10 minutes later. I've now released 5 different beta versions in 2 days. I don't think I could go any faster. Got a migraine today probably from all the stress, but after an hour nap I got the German and French guys all fixed up with beta 5 and I'll be working tomorrow on getting a non beta version out on the normal Wowinterface Carbonite page.

10-15-10, 11:37 PM   #194
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
After the email I received from our resourceful Carbonite user and I figured out what was going on, I think I made the first forum post about 10 minutes later. I've now released 5 different beta versions in 2 days. I don't think I could go any faster. Got a migraine today probably from all the stress, but after an hour nap I got the German and French guys all fixed up with beta 5 and I'll be working tomorrow on getting a non beta version out on the normal Wowinterface Carbonite page.
Don't let it stress you my friend. Relax, have a sandwich and put on some music.

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor

10-16-10, 01:51 AM   #195
Jigain
A Molten Giant

Exactly. You've done more than anyone could possibly (and reasonably) expect from you. Your dedication to this project is without peer, and I, for one, salute you.

10-16-10, 08:06 AM   #196
Chmee
A Molten Giant
Migraines suck. Last time I had one (fortunately many years ago) the doc gave me Fiorinal. "Will this cure my headache?" I asked. "No," he replied, "but you won't care." He was right.

10-16-10, 09:38 AM   #197
QuestorWI
An Aku'mai Servant
Originally Posted by Maul View Post
That would violate Blizzard's UI Addon Development Policy
You are correct that that would violate Blizzard's policy but if memory serves wasn't it Carbonites pay system and ingame ads that caused Blizzard to go ape **** and implement the current UI Addon Development Policy in the first place? It's also interesting that every time there is a patch that breaks Carb it takes several days if not a week for them to fix it and during that time the same people post replys to players questions as to when there will be an update (since the Devs rarely if every post any info here) encouraging mass donations to the Dev while saying that they have donated 100's of dollars. Go check out the past postings very eye opening to say the least. Don't get me wrong I donate $10 every month to the Devs of carbonite, nUI, and 3 other addons, and before the forum trolls go and say what a cheap bastard I am, I'm retired due to cancer and living on SSD for those in europe that's Social Security Disability and being under the retirerment age my monthly income is not the greatest. As to my continued support of the Dev's of this addon since this is the only addon out of the 53 (having lost my right arm to the cancer I depend heavily on macros and addons) I use that as of the time of this post which has not been updated I doubt I will do so in the future.

Last edited by QuestorWI : 10-16-10 at 10:06 AM. Reason: forgot a part

10-16-10, 10:36 AM   #198
Jigain
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by QuestorWI View Post
if memory serves wasn't it Carbonites pay system and ingame ads that caused Blizzard to go ape **** and implement the current UI Addon Development Policy in the first place?
Not only. Believe it or not, Carbonite was not the only addon where the developers were charging a monthly or yearly fee to use their work. In fact, I dare say Blizzard are more likely to have targeted paid leveling guides rather than Carbonite when they implemented their change.

It's also interesting that every time there is a patch that breaks Carb it takes several days if not a week for them to fix it
As to my continued support of the Dev's of this addon since this is the only addon out of the 53 I use that as of the time of this post which has not been updated I doubt I will do so in the future.
First of all, you're incredibly lucky. Myself, using 73 different addons at the moment (most of them character-specific) find that Carbonite is one of only 17 that have been updated for patch 4.0.1.

Second, as has already been explained earlier in this very thread, a working version of Carbonite was released less than 24 hours after the developers got home. If that's not good enough for you, I may be so bold as to state that you clearly have little experience from product-based customer support. No offense.

10-16-10, 10:47 AM   #199
meesterexx
A Murloc Raider
Thank you for the fast (and multiple) beta updates. I have used carbonite for a while now, but it was your quick response to the 4.01 patch that convinced me to donate. My $20 is already sent. All the hard work is greatly appreciated!

10-16-10, 10:58 AM   #200
Mossclaw
Premium Member
Premium Member
Back working on Loremaster.

Thank you very much for the update.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Carb in Cataclysm *CONFIRMED*