11-13-09, 05:32 PM   #1
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Content Update 3.3: Quest Tracking Preview

Blizzard has been testing out an all-new Quest Tracking feature which they plan to include in content update 3.3. Read their preview to learn how the World of Warcraft questing experience will be vastly improved in content update 3.3 for characters of all levels here.

Last edited by Dolby : 11-13-09 at 06:31 PM.
11-13-09, 07:51 PM   #2
Sythalin
Curse staff

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
And once again, a complete catagory of mods being claimed as "a new feature" by Blizz.

Luckily, from what I hear, it still doesn't hold a candle to QH/Carb, but that still doesn't excuse the fact that the entire "feature" was introduced by these talented authors. It's sad that these guys are the next victims to have their ideas ripped away without even a hint of credit.
11-13-09, 08:09 PM   #3
WALLIEDIRT
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Looks nice. Interesting how they get these ideas now that Aion is out... Well less addons less resources better for me I guess.
11-13-09, 11:31 PM   #4
zero-kill
A Firelord

True, if they can improve upon what they've shown all ready, it'll be really solid!
11-14-09, 12:43 AM   #5
Bluspacecow
Giver of walls of text :)

Originally Posted by WALLIEDIRT View Post
Looks nice. Interesting how they get these ideas now that Aion is out... Well less addons less resources better for me I guess.
They had this idea in development for well over a year.

Way before Aion come out.
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)
11-14-09, 07:04 AM   #6
shkm
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

I believe Warhammer may have done it officially first. That is to say without any addons. Anyway, WoW's version is looking a lot better than I'd expected it to. Even if it's not complete on its own, at least it's a clean base for addon devs to work from.
11-14-09, 08:04 AM   #7
jess09
A Kobold Labourer
This being much interesting....
11-14-09, 09:18 AM   #8
kalvin
A Defias Bandit

About time...
11-14-09, 09:35 AM   #9
Laurent
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Lord of the Rings Online has had this for a good long while, even before WAR.

11-14-09, 10:03 AM   #10
tattooedpierre
An Aku'mai Servant

Originally Posted by ChaosInc View Post
And once again, a complete catagory of mods being claimed as "a new feature" by Blizz.

Luckily, from what I hear, it still doesn't hold a candle to QH/Carb, but that still doesn't excuse the fact that the entire "feature" was introduced by these talented authors. It's sad that these guys are the next victims to have their ideas ripped away without even a hint of credit.
I dont see what the issue is; Blizz have always stated that if they felt something needed to be core UI they would put it in. They went part-way there with the current quest tracking; then adding the 'related item' feature.

Same with things like 'red' range indicators, tracking on the minimap and many others.

They're simply adding to the core UI features that people usually have to go out of their way to add because they believe them to be fundamental.
11-14-09, 10:10 AM   #11
Ibutsu
A Murloc Raider
Wonder if this'll get me off Carbonite.
11-14-09, 10:46 AM   #12
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
Lord of the Rings Online has had this for a good long while, even before WAR.
I really like how it's implemented in LOTRO. I was going to point out LOTRO had this first, too, but I couldn't think of a way to say it that wouldn't upset the newfounded Aion fans.

And btw.. Blizz introducing new features that were thought of by addon authors is a good thing... at least they listen to their subscribers.. sometimes.
11-14-09, 10:08 PM   #13
Sythalin
Curse staff

Originally Posted by tattooedpierre View Post
I dont see what the issue is; Blizz have always stated that if they felt something needed to be core UI they would put it in. They went part-way there with the current quest tracking; then adding the 'related item' feature.

Same with things like 'red' range indicators, tracking on the minimap and many others.

They're simply adding to the core UI features that people usually have to go out of their way to add because they believe them to be fundamental.
Just want to clarify. I have no issues with them implementing features based off of popular mods (anyone who claims this isn't based on the popularity of QH/Carb needs to come back to reality), I just hate not seeing credit given to the original sources.

Now, before the argument/flaming comes "well QH/Carb weren't the originals!!!!" or "they wanted to do it forever!!!!", why did it take almost 5 years? Sure, the requests may be long standing, but it wasn't until these guys' mods got so popular by HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of users that Blizz finally got off their bums and worked on their own.

In Short: I'd just like to see credit be given where credit is due. I consider these types of things "plagiarism" (note the quotes). QH/Carb popularized and fulfilled the request of thousands before Blizz finally stepped up and implemented the system themselves. Something simple like "Based on the popular addon XXX written by XXX".

Last edited by Sythalin : 11-14-09 at 10:10 PM. Reason: More clarification
11-14-09, 10:13 PM   #14
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Or at least "inspired by popular addons ..... " etc.
11-15-09, 12:27 AM   #15
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I'll say the same thing that I said in the other thread created on the 5th that mentions this new addition. I'm not impressed with it.
11-15-09, 11:32 AM   #16
Florack
A Defias Bandit
I think it's great it added in by default - less addon resource and technically should be less chances for issues.

But more than likely for those that currently like and use stuff like Quest Helper and Carbonite -- that won't switch to only using the in-game version.

Main reason being that when blizzard does add their own version, it usually isn't as feature-rich as th addon versions.

For example: the calendar feature. I believe the Group Calendar addon has more features than the built-in one. Another example would be the equipment manager. I use an addon for managing equipment because it has more features/extras to it.

I think that overall; usually; it's better once Blizzard ads most of an addons features into the game by default because it seems like that authors my be able to build on top of it further and maybe even add more features that the previous version of the addon had.

But, that's juts my two cents.
11-18-09, 07:25 AM   #17
Slakah
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by ChaosInc View Post
In Short: I'd just like to see credit be given where credit is due. I consider these types of things "plagiarism" (note the quotes). QH/Carb popularized and fulfilled the request of thousands before Blizz finally stepped up and implemented the system themselves. Something simple like "Based on the popular addon XXX written by XXX".
Where does it end? "WoW based on the popular game Everquest" etc.
"The Mobile Phone based on the popular Phone".
11-18-09, 01:37 PM   #18
AsheruWolf
Premium Member

Premium Member
The best way for blizzard to handle this would have been to say "inspired by popular addons" but then again this is like the 3rd time they have put an addon idea into the game and never even so much as hinted a thank you to the authors who came up with the ideas in the first place.
11-18-09, 05:01 PM   #19
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by AsheruWolf View Post
T<snip> but then again this is like the 3rd time they have put an addon idea into the game <snip>
If you're only counting three, you haven't been paying attention.

Author of NPCScan and many other AddOns.
11-19-09, 09:40 PM   #20
Republic
Paladin

The AddOn community is Blizzard's real development team. Blizzard's "official" development team is too busy recoloring mounts/reworking daily quests/inserting stupid new pets/micromanaging talents. I don't care who did what first, or where, or to what depth something was implemented first. We all know that all of these games borrow from each other and will continue doing so. We also know the one who combines things in such a way that it appeals to the largest group of nerds usually wins the "flavor of the month". Who really cares which of them did it first? If they aren't borrowing from each other, they are stealing from pop culture or some other nonsense.

This brings me to my final point...the most original and creative game ever...

Chess.

A bishop, no matter how much fanboy crying is done, can only move a certain way. It doesn't matter that the queen is overpowered or that the pawns are worse than leveling a holy priest. *That* is true genius.

Eh, you get my drift.

WoWInterface » Site Forums » News » Content Update 3.3: Quest Tracking Preview