05-11-10, 03:11 AM   #1
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
TankSpot Joins ZAM

Ladies and gentlemen, please join us in welcoming the newest member of the ZAM Network...

For those of you who have never visited, TankSpot is the premier WoW video site on the internet, and they have unmistakably the best strategy videos available. A number of us here at WoWInterface are already regular users, and we're very excited about the opportunity to work directly with them.

So what does this mean for Tankspot users? Firstly, the entire staff at TankSpot will be staying on to continue to maintain and improve the site - just like when WoWInterface joined ZAM five years ago -and you will continue to see the same high quality of content you've always seen from TankSpot. As time goes on, Zam'll be able to grow the existing site, and add new features and content. As our sites integrate, WoWInterface Premium members can expect access to our premium services on TankSpot. Additionally, TankSpot Donors will receive premium benefits on other ZAM sites.

For all users of our network, you're going to start see more interactive and video content popping up around all the sites on the network. In fact, you may have already noticed the first major change: Boss pages on Wowhead now feature a videos tab, and they're already populated with TankSpot's excellent guide videos.

We think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.
05-11-10, 04:52 AM   #2
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Oooo... Looks rather nice. Too bad I don't have some funds to cough up for WoWI/Zam Premium.
05-11-10, 06:50 AM   #3
Bluspacecow
Giver of walls of text :)

Please don't be offended by this. You know I love you guys.

When a site "joins" the Zam network how much of our information is shared between the sites ?

I'm just a little concerned over reports that there were a virus/trojan/keylogger/compromise/tribble infection on Tankspot a few months ago and would like a few assurances from someone.

Of course I really should be directly my concerns to the Tankspot site but would like this site's thoughts : If one site on the Zam network is compromised does that mean that other sites would get compromised as well ? Or is it like the Titanic ? *

Kisses , hugs and Love,

Bluspacecow

* = No I don't mean it sinking on it's maiden voyage. Or a soppy movie being made about it (wouldn't mind it tho .. Kate Winslet as Caireen ?) . No i mean in that each site is it's own self contained unit with locks in place so that if one site is infected all other sites aren't.
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)

Last edited by Bluspacecow : 05-11-10 at 06:54 AM.
05-11-10, 11:31 AM   #4
Dolby
PPAP

WoWInterface Admin
We all have our separate servers and admins, just most likely they will move to the same datacenter. MMOUI, ZAM & Wowhead have been kept separate all this time not sure why you'd think that would change.

We are working on a global login but that is going to be more similar to an open id. we aren't putting all the databases together.

Last edited by Dolby : 05-11-10 at 11:36 AM.
05-11-10, 12:38 PM   #5
devomorph
A Murloc Raider
Premium Member
Wanted to give a little insight regarding this, in addition to what Dolby said:

Originally Posted by Bluspacecow View Post
I'm just a little concerned over reports that there were a virus/trojan/keylogger/compromise/tribble infection on Tankspot a few months ago and would like a few assurances from someone.
There was an infection attempt a few months ago. It was unsuccessful. No information was compromised, the VBB security hole they were trying to exploit to get to the information had been patched out several versions prior, and we caught it relatively quickly besides. The extent of the damage done was that anyone who visited the site at around 6am EST that day had an annoying "save file" dialog popping up :P

We take users' security very seriously, though, so we decided to go ahead and upgrade to VBB4 at that point. That's why the site went down for a couple days.

Anyway, we're all very glad to be joining the team and very much looking forward to the future as part of the ZAM network!

--Lore
05-11-10, 01:52 PM   #6
mankeluvsit
An Onyxian Warder

i love tankspot
05-11-10, 02:45 PM   #7
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
Never heard of it ..

But now that I have I will definitely be checking it out.

And WELCOME I'm sure you'll enjoy the extra company

Ohh .. almost forgot the infamous dancing bananas .. enjoy!!!

05-11-10, 02:47 PM   #8
Bluspacecow
Giver of walls of text :)

Why is it when I use the Multiquote option I hear "M-m-m-m-m-multishot!!!" from a famous FPS in my head ? Must be 'cause of that sound effects addon I got a few years back (Comix I think it was ... plays sound effects and puts funny graphics on screen when you crit)

Anyways rambling now onwards :)

Originally Posted by Dolby View Post
We all have our separate servers and admins, just most likely they will move to the same datacenter. MMOUI, ZAM & Wowhead have been kept separate all this time not sure why you'd think that would change.

Thank you for this Dolby. I knew you guys weren't silly and would all have seperate servers but it's nice to hear some confirmation instead of assuming :)

Originally Posted by devomorph View Post
We take users' security very seriously, though, so we decided to go ahead and upgrade to VBB4 at that point. That's why the site went down for a couple days.

Anyway, we're all very glad to be joining the team and very much looking forward to the future as part of the ZAM network!

--Lore
Thank you for this confirmation Lore. I'm glad to hear you do take your users security seriously.

I was just a bit scared for you guys given the ugly rumors going around about wowstead being hacked. For the record that was just their server going down and a subsequent badly needed hardware upgrade that got twisted into an ugly rumor.

I'm so glad all you guys are so up front with this sort of information - it goes a long way to assuring your users :)

(::) (::) Cookies to Dolby and Lore ! (oh and the other hardworking admins)

I would give Cake but I don't know how to make that....
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)
05-11-10, 09:23 PM   #9
PerfectH
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Welcome to the network, TankSpot!

WoWInterface » Site Forums » News » TankSpot Joins ZAM