09-30-12, 10:39 PM   #1
carboniteaddon
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Exclamation Carbonite 5.041 Source Released

Haavok and I have decided we will not be updating Carbonite any longer. We no longer play WoW and just have too many others things going on in life to devote any time to it.

We have decided to release the full Carbonite addon code under GPL license. I have stripped out or commented out various debugging lines in the code that were normally stripped out in our build process. The files should run as is, but I did not test my changes.

The source zip file is available here:
www.carboniteaddon.com/download

Thanks,
faatal

Last edited by carboniteaddon : 09-30-12 at 10:42 PM.

09-30-12, 10:46 PM   #2
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Thank you both for all you have done for the community over the years, Faatal and Haavok, you will be missed. Safe travels, hopefully we'll see you somewhere down the road in some other game.

09-30-12, 10:56 PM   #3
carboniteaddon
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Thumbs up

Thanks Cairenn, you guys run a classy operation and have always been supportive.

Take care,
faatal

09-30-12, 11:17 PM   #4
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
While I am sorry to hear it as you guys have done amazing things and worked real magic with your addon, I do want to thank you for releasing it and allowing us to carry on with it.

I wish you all the best in your future endeavors.

09-30-12, 11:54 PM   #5
Kathan
An Aku'mai Servant
Thank you for doing this. I know how life can 'get in the way' of doing the things you'd like to do, and it can be rough. Just know that you've made thousands, if not millions of people inadvertently happy for releasing this to the general public so that it can be updated and improved upon.

Best luck to the both of you in future endeavors.

10-01-12, 12:00 AM   #6
tinyu
A Molten Giant

best of luck to you both Haavok and Fataal and Goodluck to you Rythal.

10-01-12, 12:01 AM   #7
schizophrena
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Thanks for all that you have done for us, the players and users of your great addon.

Please do stop by sometime and say hello - I will surely miss you all and hope that someone (like Rythal) will take it over and add to it to continue to make it as great as your dream for Carbonite is/was.

Enjoy your work and family time!

10-01-12, 12:08 AM   #8
Choonstertwo
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

I love this AddOn, thank you for releasing it as open source! (And thanks to Rythal for continuing to update it)

10-01-12, 06:50 AM   #9
clipper
An Aku'mai Servant
Originally Posted by Cairenn View Post
Thank you both for all you have done for the community over the years, Faatal and Haavok, you will be missed. Safe travels, hopefully we'll see you somewhere down the road in some other game.
Yes, thanks for everything guys!

It looks like they took down the donations link, but if anyone else feels that this would be a good time to drop one last tip in the jar, the last Paypal address I had for Carbon-Based Creations was <[email protected]>.

10-01-12, 03:51 AM   #10
jizar
A Murloc Raider
Tkx

Originally Posted by carboniteaddon View Post
Haavok and I have decided we will not be updating Carbonite any longer. We no longer play WoW and just have too many others things going on in life to devote any time to it.

We have decided to release the full Carbonite addon code under GPL license. I have stripped out or commented out various debugging lines in the code that were normally stripped out in our build process. The files should run as is, but I did not test my changes.

The source zip file is available here:
www.carboniteaddon.com/download

Thanks,
faatal
Thank you so much, thanks to that i already made a ptBR version fully working

10-01-12, 06:14 AM   #11
SnufferBuffer
A Defias Bandit
Ok I have just today on 10/1/2012 downloaded the two files of:

Carbonite-50501.zip & CarboniteGPL_5041.zip

I am not a guru at this stuff but I have looked in the files and see some changes and newer dates on files and all but wanted to make sure before I do anything.

Now mind you I right now have installed and working on my system this file I downloaded a few weeks ago of : Carbonite-5.041.zip

Now my question is this, Which of the two files mentioned at the top of this post is the one that I want to install on my system to get the latest updates, and has there been announced a new location where we can get any updates of the Carbonite Add On from now, (10/1/2012), on?

Thanks for any INPUT and advice you gents may have.

Snuffy . . . .

Last edited by SnufferBuffer : 10-01-12 at 06:18 AM.

10-01-12, 06:54 AM   #12
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Originally Posted by SnufferBuffer View Post
Ok I have just today on 10/1/2012 downloaded the two files of:

Carbonite-50501.zip & CarboniteGPL_5041.zip

I am not a guru at this stuff but I have looked in the files and see some changes and newer dates on files and all but wanted to make sure before I do anything.

Now mind you I right now have installed and working on my system this file I downloaded a few weeks ago of : Carbonite-5.041.zip

Now my question is this, Which of the two files mentioned at the top of this post is the one that I want to install on my system to get the latest updates, and has there been announced a new location where we can get any updates of the Carbonite Add On from now, (10/1/2012), on?

Thanks for any INPUT and advice you gents may have.

Snuffy . . . .
Download the one here from WoWI, it's the entire package with my fixes using the old code, the GPL one we don't know if it runs or not and is what i'll be using going forward.

10-01-12, 08:01 AM   #13
HerrDrache
A Murloc Raider
Thank you!

Thank you!

Thank you for creating Carbonite and maintaining it over the years. It has made my wow-time even more enjoyable.
And now that you're busy in real life (while the rest of us are still hopelessly addicted), thank you for GPL-ing the code and giving Rythal access to whatever he needs.
Last, but not least, of course, thank you Rythal for stepping in and taking over.

You all are an exceptional bunch of people - best of luck in all that you do!

10-01-12, 08:05 AM   #14
lerb
A Frostmaul Preserver

Be proud Faatal and Haavok, as everyone can see you've created one of the most loved World of Warcraft addons ever, that's a beautiful thing. You're addon-heroes in my eyes, even though I haven't been using the addon as much as others. Hopefully you feel good about this decision of letting it go and see where it heads from now on, this beast of an addon you've created.

Good luck and safe travels!

10-01-12, 08:20 AM   #15
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I would like to add my thanks to fataal and Haavok (and the unnamed third original developer) for all they have done to help us enjoy playing World of Warcraft.

Hey, go live your lives. Enjoy life while you can, my friends, because it is entirely too short not to.

Carbonite <----- GitHub main module (Maps ONLY) download link. The other modules are also available on GitHub.
Carbonite-CLASSIC<----- GitHub link to Carbonite Classic. Thanks to ircdirk for this!

10-01-12, 10:02 AM   #16
Xcari
A Fallenroot Satyr
Thank you so much. Our family has used and supported Carbonite since the days it was a paid add on. Faatal and Haavok, thank you for allowing it be free/donation supported over these subsequent years. And thank you for releasing the project to Rythal, so it will continue to flourish. Time changes many things in our lives, and our family wishes both of you and your families and loved ones health and happiness, and the good memories of a job well done!

10-01-12, 10:14 AM   #17
Zarggg
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Haavok & Faatal:

I know I don't say much, but used Carbonite for the bulk of my days in Wrath and Cata. I don't know much about either of you personally, but I do recognize your right to move on from this game. I'm glad that you decided to release the code for this addon to the community so that those who enjoy it can continue using it to their benefit. I wish you luck in your careers.

Thanks as well to Rythal for taking up the flag as the "unofficial" (or is it actually official?) maintainer for future updates.

10-01-12, 10:24 AM   #18
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Originally Posted by Zarggg View Post
Haavok & Faatal:

I know I don't say much, but used Carbonite for the bulk of my days in Wrath and Cata. I don't know much about either of you personally, but I do recognize your right to move on from this game. I'm glad that you decided to release the code for this addon to the community so that those who enjoy it can continue using it to their benefit. I wish you luck in your careers.

Thanks as well to Rythal for taking up the flag as the "unofficial" (or is it actually official?) maintainer for future updates.
It's official

10-01-12, 11:15 AM   #19
Spahut
A Cobalt Mageweaver
Yes thanks a lot guys, and thanks for doing this as you leave. Good luck out there

10-01-12, 02:12 PM   #20
S@thi
A Theradrim Guardian

Thanks for everything you have done for the WoW Community using this amazing addon.
I'm glad to see Carbonite will live on in the near future.
Original authors: thanks for creating a amazing addon..
Carbonite has become a must have for me.. without it my WoW feels incomplete.

Rythal: I wish you good luck in updating / fixing the addon.
Also I wish you lots of positive spirits and energy.

Thanks gents!

Irene

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Carbonite 5.041 Source Released